BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions league final

Just now, mrssusan said:

They were the best team for the first 10-15 mins. After Ramos dealt with mo there was only one winner imo, karius or no karius 

That’s why Liverpool don’t challenge for the title. They always rely on one star player/striker. Be it Torres or Suarez or Salah. It can get you through a few cup games but isn’t sustainable. The last time they had a really top side was when they had Dalglish and Rush - so only about 30 years ago! As a neutral I quite like Liverpool, the kind of underdog romantic club with a lot of history. Trouble is that their fans - particularly the non-scouse ones - are so smug and arrogant. They don’t even recognise that their smugness is misplaced.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, mrssusan said:

Agree whole heartedly about the us and we comments. Mate your from Ireland / Birmingham/ Milton Keynes. You haven't been within 25 miles of Liverpool in your life. 

Hopefully they all dissaper and put their city shirts on again

I saw lots of Liverpool shirts in Darwen yesterday after seeing very few for years. I spoke to one lad I know who was in his Crown Paints sponsored shirt and he proclaimed to be a lifelong supporter although he didn't go to the games because 'he couldn't get tickets'. I couldn't swear to it but I think he was a Rovers fan in 1995. The best thing about them losing is that all these who masquerade as lifelong fans will not be seen again for years unless they decide to follow Man City.

In the game it was quite funny watching the likes of Milner and Henderson trying to compete with far more technically gifted players. I haven't watched a game on BT before but having listen to McManaman and Hoddle I'm glad I won't be watching again until it's free.

• Backroom

Lost a great deal of respect for Klopp and his team last night for their treatment of Karius.

Some nice meaningless empathy in interviews but they left their devastated teammate on the pitch by himself. Even that gobshite Ronaldo consoled him a bit.

"You'll never walk alone", my arse.

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Lost a great deal of respect for Klopp and his team last night for their treatment of Karius.

Some nice meaningless empathy in interviews but they left their devastated teammate on the pitch by himself. Even that gobshite Ronaldo consoled him a bit.

I think Klopp lost a lot of credibility with his disingenuous comments about West Bromwich recently and the shreds that he had left disappeared last night when the keeper he signed (and publicly backed ahead of Mignolet) needed an arm around him and was left in tears in front of millions with Klopp nowhere to be seen. I remember Bobby Robson in Italia 90 hugging the disconsolate England players who had missed penalties. I get the impression with Klopp it's more about him.

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not quite where I'd want to strike the ball but good enough.

That's why it looped up. My dad, the goalkeeping coach (lol), questioned whether the keeper was slow to react . . He said Schmeichel and Brad would have saved it. Mega lolz.

13 hours ago, Commondore said:

Lallana... It's one thing not being as good as Salah, but being the worst player on the pitch bar Karius? No way he could have been ready for a game like this, either physically or mentally.

Seemed like a substitution straight out of Bowyer's Tombola.

Or...maybe Liverpool didn't have any other options?

Don't get the big deal about Klopp really although obviously he's quite a bold manager who likes attack and seems a good motivator but so was Keegan !

So he's a bit of a tub thumper for me although they probably could over power most teams and win things with his style if only they didn't keep selling top quality and buying lesser way over priced players from Southampton.

Odd business that,  something is at play there by men in suits I think.

Was sad to see how the keeper was not consoled by his teammates. I saw mainly Madrid players consoling him. As a manager, surely Kopp himself or from his orders should have sent some players to support him a bit. I know they were obviously disappointed but this guy will now always be remembered for last night and it will be difficult to now ever establish himself as a top keeper. He might even struggle to make it at all.

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

I had similar feelings at the time.

People said similar things, when Mark Atkins scored that awful, last minute own goal against Liverpool, which prevented a Rovers giant killing. He was left isolated at the far end of the pitch for a long time...

Klopp has previous for this kind of thing.

Was it last season, when  he played to the frustrated Liverpool fans, as he b****d Benteke, trudging from the field?  Benteke had missed a couple of gilt edge chances..

Klopp is a media darling but isn't the jovial character he is portrayed as, in fact I think he's an extremely nasty piece of work. There was an incident a year or two ago when a decision went against Liverpool and he was right up in the assistants face screaming and snarling ^How dare you give that decision against us, do you know who we are?" or words to that effect.

Tricky situation for the keepers team mates, it's the pinnacle of their career and the keeper practically throws two in his own net. What do you say to him? He's let them down big style.

The non playing squad members, manager and coaching staff should have been consoling him though.

• Backroom
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Klopp is a media darling but isn't the jovial character he is portrayed as, in fact I think he's an extremely nasty piece of work. There was an incident a year or two ago when a decision went against Liverpool and he was right up in the assistants face screaming and snarling ^How dare you give that decision against us, do you know who we are?" or words to that effect.

Tricky situation for the keepers team mates, it's the pinnacle of their career and the keeper practically throws two in his own net. What do you say to him? He's let them down big style.

The non playing squad members, manager and coaching staff should have been consoling him though.

You say 'Don't worry mate, none of us played great tonight. We're not going let you be a scapegoat.'

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You say 'Don't worry mate, none of us played great tonight. We're not going let you be a scapegoat.'

Not quite that easy I wouldn't have thought, if you were playing you could probably forgive him one howler, two maybe not quite so easy.

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yep. Tries to come across as a nice guy, but when things aren't going his way you see he's nothing but a nasty bully who thinks it's acceptable to scream in people's faces. Doubly disgusting when you consider his breath will stink of cigarette smoke. 

As far as Liverpool and class are concerned, this is the same club who wore t-shirts defending a player who admitted to yelling racist slurs, so... yeah. Was delighted to see them lose last night. Not that Madrid are any better, really, but being in Spain they're easier to ignore.

10 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Even at pub level it’s frustrating.

You work your nuts off for most of the game and it’s all undone in an instant because your keeper makes a howler of something routine.

At the final whistle, it would have been tough to take.

Does he even deserve sympathy? It’s not like they weren’t his fault.

It’s a team game though. If a player missed two open net chances to equalise, would they get the same treatment?

Looks to me that there was a problem before the game if there isn’t a single player with an ounce of humanity to go over to a team mate in bits and at least put an arm round him. No need to say anything.

But perhaps they were looking to distance themselves to avoid being collateral damage.

Liverpool haven’t come out of this episode with much class I’m afraid.

Just now, Stuart said:

It’s a team game though. If a player missed two open net chances to equalise, would they get the same treatment?

Looks to me that there was a problem before the game if there isn’t a single player with an ounce of humanity to go over to a team mate in bits and at least put an arm round him. No need to say anything.

But perhaps they were looking to distance themselves to avoid being collateral damage.

If I’m honest, I’d have expected a couple of players, certainly the captain, to go over at the full time whistle. 

I can certainly understand how frustrated the players would have been though but it’s up to Karius now. He can work his nuts off and come out the other side a better keepe or it can end him as a top flight keeper. Chances are, he won’t be doing it at Liverpool though.

Keepers mistakes are always highlighted more.

Not sure MGP has ever lived down that header though. 

48 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I missed a penalty once in a big game. I said to the guy who was managing us "  I'm sorry  for losing us the game ". He said " Don't be so conceited. No one player is good enough to win the game on their own so no one player is bad enough to lose the game on their own "".

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I missed a penalty once in a big game. I said to the guy who was managing us "  I'm sorry  for losing us the game ". He said " Don't be so conceited. No one player is good enough to win the game on their own so no one player is bad enough to lose the game on their own "".

My manager said similar to me then never picked me again. Then he threw me out the house and left my mum for a younger woman. I knew I should of stuck with bottom left

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Naive in the extreme. For many of the Liverpool players that will be their one and only appearance in a European Cup Final, the pinnacle of their careers, and their team-make literally threw away their chance of glory. I wouldn't be able to speak to him for a long time - if ever at all. 

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Naive in the extreme. For many of the Liverpool players that will be their one and only appearance in a European Cup Final, the pinnacle of their careers, and their team-make literally threw away their chance of glory. I wouldn't be able to speak to him for a long time - if ever at all. 

Bloody hell Jim that's harsh. He made mistakes, was devastated and not one of his teammates or manager showed him any compassion. It wasn't much to ask for any of them to put an arm around him and offer a few words of consolation. In a way that incident sums up the selfishness of the spoilt, multi millionaire players of today. I mentioned Bobby Robsons and the England players reaction to the players who missed penalties in Italia 90. They weren't ostracised.

And by the way the poor lad has had death threats.

Got to remember the elbow chop by Sergio Ramos on Klarius immediately before the first goal.

The attack on Salah by Sergio Ramos was deliberate and premeditated. Watch where he is looking, how he shifts his weight in mid fall and how long he pinions Salah's arm.

Just now, philipl said:

Got to remember the elbow chop by Sergio Ramos on Klarius immediately before the first goal.

The attack on Salah by Sergio Ramos was deliberate and premeditated. Watch where he is looking, how he shifts his weight in mid fall and how long he pinions Salah's arm.

I totally agree.

But this is useless against a player from UEFA FC:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/705611/Liverpool-news-mo-salah-injury-sergio-ramos-petition-update-champions-league-final

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Bloody hell Jim that's harsh. He made mistakes, was devastated and not one of his teammates or manager showed him any compassion. It wasn't much to ask for any of them to put an arm around him and offer a few words of consolation. In a way that incident sums up the selfishness of the spoilt, multi millionaire players of today. I mentioned Bobby Robsons and the England players reaction to the players who missed penalties in Italia 90. They weren't ostracised.

And by the way the poor lad has had death threats.

Come on, as a player how would you feel ? I'd have been spitting feathers.

I could imagine some of the old pros of the 1960-80s would probably have thumped him after the match. 

Archived