BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Scottish Football

Steve Kean surprisingly not taking over in the meantime at Hibs, which I thought he would. No doubt he'll have an application in for the full time position in the summer.

In other news, Hearts have confirmed a Europa League play off tie with their win over Hibs in the Scottish Cup Semi, guaranteeing European Football until Christmas - with a loss in the play off meaning UECL group stage football anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2022 at 20:29, Claytons Left Boot said:

Sorting out some of the shee-ite in our loft and found some photos from Celtic 3 Dundee 0, April 23rd 1988 when Celtic clinched the title. Attendance estimated at 75k, you just paid your cash and they let you in 😆

9277D07D-59C2-4DB0-AD97-95EABE5296CD.jpeg

EE5DD4A8-655C-4D00-9550-199218706740.jpeg

2D096B1B-B5CD-43EB-84C4-479479D2FFD3.jpeg

50F166C3-66F4-4E14-8798-1869E292277E.jpeg

That was my first ever visit to Celtic Park Mark!

5 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That was my first ever visit to Celtic Park Mark!

Good stuff Andy. Which part of the ground were you in?

I generally used to stand on the Celtic End. I arrived there about half an hour before kick off and have never seen so many people outside a ground waiting to get in. There must have been around eight turnstile on the Celtic End/Main Stand corner and, no doubt others elsewhere. I didn’t think I would get in but 15 mins later I was stood on the terraces near the floodlight pylon and that’s where I stayed!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Good stuff Andy. Which part of the ground were you in?

I generally used to stand on the Celtic End. I arrived there about half an hour before kick off and have never seen so many people outside a ground waiting to get in. There must have been around eight turnstile on the Celtic End/Main Stand corner and, no doubt others elsewhere. I didn’t think I would get in but 15 mins later I was stood on the terraces near the floodlight pylon and that’s where I stayed!

I was in the posh seats (as they were known then!) with my then-brother-in-law. He ran the Celtic youth team at the time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't followed the SPL but was surprised to see that the league top scorer is a Ross County player, Regan Charles-Cook, with 13 goals. Presumably the Old Firm have used a lot of players (including the January signings) and the goals have been shared around? 

One player I've always admired in the SPL is Tom Rogic, the Australian midfielder, who has, it seems, periods of favour and then disfavour. His contract expires in 2023, I read, and, though, he's been back in form, he might be available for a club that can afford him. 

Edited by riverholmes

3 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I haven't followed the SPL but was surprised to see that the league top scorer is a Ross County player, Regan Charles-Cook, with 13 goals. Presumably the Old Firm have used a lot of players (including the January signings) and the goals have been shared around? 

One player I've always admired in the SPL is Tom Rogic, the Australian midfielder, who has, it seems, periods of favour and then disfavour. His contract expires in 2023, I read, and, though, he's been back in form, he might be available for a club that can afford him. 

Yes both old firm teams each have 3 or 4 players just behind that total. Had Morelos and Kyogo not been out injured for long spells I guess they would have scored many more than the Ross County lad.

As for Rogic, he has an amazing scoring record against Motherwell, for some reason. He generally does quite well in the old firms games too.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Celtic generally play 4-3-3 and up front use a main striker with two wide men/wingers. Kyogo, signed from the J-League in Japan, hit the ground running, scoring 16 or so prior to getting injured in January. His ‘replacement’ Giakoumakis is more than useful and has scored around 16 himself. Kyogo is now on 18, I think. So yes, Celtic have shared the goals around. A bit of a problem because both men warrant a place in the starting eleven but the way they play only allows one. Tony M would have no doubt played one of them out wide.

• Like 2

On 12/05/2022 at 12:20, riverholmes said:

Been confirmed by Celtic this morning that Tom Rogic (and Nir Bitton) will leave the club at the end of this season when their contracts expire. Reading between the lines, it would appear that both players have orchestrated this in order to get regular first team football.

• Like 1

To win the Europa league now, when multiple, clubs from ‘elite’ leagues are involved and when champions league clubs drop in to that competition, would be a huge achievement for Rangers. It’s one thing doing it in the 60s, 70s and 80s, but in this day of crazy money available for players in the bigger leagues, it would be a superb achievement - certainly surpassing any previous European triumphs by Scottish clubs.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Over 100,000 Bears expected in Seville tomorrow night...lock up your Tennents Super!

Hope Greater Manchester Council have given Seville some advice from their experience. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Hasta said:

To win the Europa league now, when multiple, clubs from ‘elite’ leagues are involved and when champions league clubs drop in to that competition, would be a huge achievement for Rangers. It’s one thing doing it in the 60s, 70s and 80s, but in this day of crazy money available for players in the bigger leagues, it would be a superb achievement - certainly surpassing any previous European triumphs by Scottish clubs.

Without straying too far into old firm willy waving territory, I doubt what the Lisbon Lions achieved in 1967 will ever be surpassed - and that isn't taking anything away from Rangers 2022 whatsoever. What was the stat - all players apart from one were born within about 10 miles of Celtic Park? Incredible. 

• Like 3

• Backroom
4 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

The Seville police chief has a few thoughts on the event; ESPN - too many people in Seville

A quote from him; "We will host two fanbases that drink a lot. These citizens, who are used to drinking warm beer in their countries, when they find our fresh and cold beers, will drink even more".

Spoken like a man that has never met a British football fan. As if temperature would ever make a difference to how much is drunk. 

Guessing he missed the flare poking out someone's backside. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2022 at 13:59, Admiral Nelsen said:

Hope they manage it, would be a huge shot in the arm for Scottish football, which ultimately I think is good for British football. 

How can it be good for British football? Scottish teams doing well in Europe has no bearing on the epl coefficient.  Two totally different leagues.  Couldn't care less about Scottish clubs. Hope frankfurt bury them 

• Like 1