BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Scottish Football

7 hours ago, roverandout said:

Don't agree. Celtic are a massive club in Scotland but European wise they're small fry. Arsenal are undoubtedly a bigger club.  Far more European prestige.  Spurs aren't that much different to Celtic.  The odd final here and there. I would class the likes of ajax Atletico Madrid etc as bigger clubs than Celtic.  They don't even come close to the likes of Barcelona real Madrid juventus man utd Liverpool inter Milan ac Milan bayern Munich.  For the amount of seasons Celtic have played in Europe, 1 trophy is pretty pathetic.  Ajax have 4 champions leagues. A couple of uefa cups.

Absolutely typical example of English people not understanding how big Celtic and Rangers really are. Arsenal as big as Celtic? Aye right, dream on. The only English clubs that have the same level of support and history as the old firm are Man Utd and Liverpool. Spurs and Arsenal don’t even dominate their own leagues, let alone have any European heritage. 

Celtic and Rangers shouldn’t be judged by the SPL or the ability of their current squads to win the Champions League. Neither should Ajax, Porto or other European giants misfortune enough to not lie in the borders of the big four or five leagues. The SPL - and UEFAs commitment to supporting a multitude of irrelevant minor tin pot national leagues - holds the old firm and other European clubs back massively. It creates a temporary and wildly unfair situation where by only the English, German, Spanish, Italian (and at a push the French) clubs can consistently compete. 

Either UEFA allows them to unite in leagues that can compete financially with the larger countries leagues (e.g an ‘Atlantic League’ and other potential Eastern & Southern European amalgamations) or it allows Ajax and the old firm to join the PL, Polish and Austrian clubs to join the Bundesliga and so on. 

Clubs of the big 4 or 5 leagues have European competition stitched up currently so only they can dominate and attract the best players. It’s unsustainable and outrageously unfair.

All ideas in football can work as long as they are based on a pyramid system. An Atlantic league would be awesome as long as there was a system of promotion and relegation from feeder national leagues. It’s either that or allow the big 4 or 5 leagues to expand their promotion to serve as the top of a pyramid for smaller countries too. However, personally I think those leagues are quite big enough anyway myself. Allowing the clubs outside the big leagues to unite into their own multi-national league pyramids is such an obviously good idea for European football, it is only the greed of the already big league’s clubs that currently acts as a veto. It’s a situation that won’t last forever though. What seems immovable and permanent in football often isn’t.

• Like 8

That’s a first class post RoverInverness. I’ve just spent half an hour penning a post and then deleted it because I just can’t be arsed any more trying to explain the situation in Scotland. I’m glad I did because you have put it down in black and white in a much better way than I could have done!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, roverandout said:

Don't agree. Celtic are a massive club in Scotland but European wise they're small fry. Arsenal are undoubtedly a bigger club.  Far more European prestige.  Spurs aren't that much different to Celtic.  The odd final here and there. I would class the likes of ajax Atletico Madrid etc as bigger clubs than Celtic.  They don't even come close to the likes of Barcelona real Madrid juventus man utd Liverpool inter Milan ac Milan bayern Munich.  For the amount of seasons Celtic have played in Europe, 1 trophy is pretty pathetic.  Ajax have 4 champions leagues. A couple of uefa cups.

I’m going to assume you are relatively young, because anyone over the age of about 40 would know that you are wrong in just about any measurement of what constitutes a big club. Possibly apart from money,  but as InvernessRover so eloquently stated, that’s a self propelling situation and a matter of lucky geography. Arsenal a bigger club than Celtic? Even Ian Wright, as big an Arsenal cheerleader as you will come across, couldn’t believe what he found when he signed for the Hoops. Why do you think the premier league clubs were so against the idea of Rangers and Celtic joining it a few years back? 

• Like 4

Whatever your views on Celtic and Rangers it is clear that they are huge clubs.  When people say they would struggle to get into the EPL it makes me laugh.  Clearly they would at the moment because they earn about 1% of what English clubs earn from TV.  Even most Championship clubs earn far more than they do unless they get into the Champions League proper.  If they were on a level playing field they would be amongst the top 5 or 6 clubs in the UK in terms of income and following and there's no reason to think they wouldn't be successful.  Each club have a massive support both at home and overseas and in this respect they dwarf City, Chelsea, Spurs or any other of the EPL teams about from maybe 3 or 4.  

Not going to happen though I don't think.

• Like 2

I have been to old firm games since the early 60’s and have only ever seen the same passion at one other match that I have witnessed. That was in Buenos Aires for Boca Juniors v River Plate. 
Big clubs, Arsenal or Spuds? Give me a break. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

I have been to old firm games since the early 60’s and have only ever seen the same passion at one other match that I have witnessed. That was in Buenos Aires for Boca Juniors v River Plate. 

When you say passion, do you mean bigoted mindless violence ?

• Like 1

On 15/05/2021 at 17:09, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Great to see Rangers back as Scotland's No1....always have been and always will be.

Indeed Both Rangers and Celtic can call on support worldwide that probably only Man Utd or Liverpool could match.

Lol. Sure they are. 

Despicable scenes by their "supporters". They even had the Israel flags out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lol. Sure they are. 

It's always that or the butcher's apron with them. They never change, one of the last times they played in England after the Uefa Cup final they went on the rampage and left a trail of violence and destruction in their wake.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

It's always that or the butcher's apron with them. They never change, one of the last times they played in England after the Uefa Cup final they went on the rampage and left a trail of violence and destruction in their wake.

I do wonder what Gerrard was thinking getting involved with that lot. Somewhat vindicated in footbal terms, but I think he has done damage to his reputation. There is a huge percentage of the Liverpool fan base that would not agree with his move there at all 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I do wonder what Gerrard was thinking getting involved with that lot. Somewhat vindicated in footbal terms, but I think he has done damage to his reputation. There is a huge percentage of the Liverpool fan base that would not agree with his move there at all 

He's building his reputation as a manager.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
20 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Meanwhile Celtic fans have always been just wonderful. Glass houses, etc.

• Like 5

Just now, K-Hod said:

Meanwhile Celtic fans have always been just wonderful. Glass houses, etc.

When Celtic went to Seville for a Uefa Cup final (a few years before the original Rangers' fans trashed Manchester) there was no trouble whatsoever I was out there and it was a fantastic occasion. They even received fair play awards from both Uefa and FIFA.

As I mod could you also tell me why my post has twice been taken down in regards to Rangers winning their first league title? Which mod doesn't understand liquidation? The old Rangers are dead that company was liquidated in 2012.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

He's building his reputation as a manager.

Ya, that's fair enough I get that, but I wouldn't say Rangers would be a liked club in anyway with a lot of Liverpool fans. 

He really seems to be loving it anyway. He's sharing posts on social media constantly and it's the most I've ever seen him smile. You can tell he never won a league. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

When Celtic went to Seville for a Uefa Cup final (a few years before the original Rangers' fans trashed Manchester) there was no trouble whatsoever I was out there and it was a fantastic occasion. They even received fair play awards from both Uefa and FIFA.

As I mod could you also tell me why my post has twice been taken down in regards to Rangers winning their first league title? Which mod doesn't understand liquidation? The old Rangers are dead that company was liquidated in 2012.

On the flip side, many would argue that it’s a club with the same name, playing at the same stadium in the same city.

I absolutely understand it, I just think it’s a bone of contention that will cause a lot of squabbling, so it’s just easier that way.

Therefore, any further mentions on this contentious topic about this will also be removed.

Hope this helps 👍.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ianrally said:

Wow, what a game to be at. I think I'd be a bit scared 😂 I was as Hadjuk Split and Dinamo Zagreb about 17 years ago. Got caught in a riot afterwards. Trams and cars been Tipped over, flares everywhere, general feeling of menace. I wanted to go home to my mummy! I was a student interrailing 

11 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

On the flip side, many would argue that it’s a club with the same name, playing at the same stadium in the same city.

The ground was sold off by administrators when the old club was liquidated. The name is different the old Rangers that was liquidated was trading under the name The Rangers Football Club PLC. The new club is trading under the name The Rangers Football Club Ltd.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

• Moderation Lead
18 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The ground was sold off by administrators when the old club was liquidated. The name is different the old Rangers that was liquidated was trading under the name The Rangers Football Club PLC. The new club is trading under the name The Rangers Football Club Ltd.

Thanks for your input, but I’m not changing my mind.

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Ewood Ace said:

I'm not trying to change your mind I'm just stating facts.

Good for you. I’ve nothing further to add, everything I said previously still stands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

When they came to Ewood they flooded the away end with fake tickets causing hundreds of genuine Celtic fans being refused entry, fought with police and generally behaved like the Rangers fans you're condemning. 

Just for a bit of balance.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Of the two I lean towards Celtic but both sets of supporters are as bad as each other. Ask anyone who policed the Rovers v Celtic game in 2002. 
Edit. Gav beat me to it 

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2