BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wifi / Android Issues-Desperate for Help!

Please can someone put this right for me?

For the last week or so, my Android phone and tablet connect to my home BT wireless hub fine, except for Whatsapp. Facebook and Twitter apps, which will only work through mobile data. Chrome browser works fine, Youtube app works fine.

Tried everything simple-off and on again, log out and log in again. Apps are up to date. 

If i use a different wifi network all is OK still, so it`s perculir to my home wireless connection. Driving me mad, and eating serious data :( 

Have you got a power / battery saver on? Sometimes these do weird things with data, if so turn it off and see if that makes any difference.

Other than that, could be a router issue. What router do you have, And can you control the settings? If you can, try turning off auto IPv6 too.

• Moderation Lead

I had a similar(ish) sort of issue with my Macbook and it not connecting to my (BT) home network, but it would connect to networks elsewhere.....

I gave it a factory reset and between them, BT and Apple didn't have a clue how to sort it. Then one day it just started working as if the issue never happened.

Love technology, me.

12 hours ago, Ozz said:

Please can someone put this right for me?

For the last week or so, my Android phone and tablet connect to my home BT wireless hub fine, except for Whatsapp. Facebook and Twitter apps, which will only work through mobile data. Chrome browser works fine, Youtube app works fine.

Tried everything simple-off and on again, log out and log in again. Apps are up to date. 

If i use a different wifi network all is OK still, so it`s perculir to my home wireless connection. Driving me mad, and eating serious data :(

That's strange, they are the exact same websites that are blocked where I work. Even if I connect with my phone to the company wifi, its the same. Did someone put a block on your router? This can be done via a laptop or desktop 

Maybe try reversing this http://smallbusiness.chron.com/block-websites-employees-12326.html  Worth a go, but its probably your router settings...

I had to change my home broadband from 2.4 GHZ to 5 GHZ to enable certain things to work. The only difference, I am told, is that 5GHZ is a stronger signal over a shorter distance, but 2.4 GHZ is a lower signal over longer distance.

Another thing to check is that if you turn off mobile data, do the apps then work from the WiFi. That should tell you if the problem is with the phone or the router

On 07/06/2018 at 19:58, Baz said:

Another thing to check is that if you turn off mobile data, do the apps then work from the WiFi. That should tell you if the problem is with the phone or the router

Turned off mobile data and switched on wifi-still no joy. It`s a router issue.

On 06/06/2018 at 23:02, Baz said:

Have you got a power / battery saver on? Sometimes these do weird things with data, if so turn it off and see if that makes any difference.

Other than that, could be a router issue. What router do you have, And can you control the settings? If you can, try turning off auto IPv6 too.

BT Home Hub 5.0

switched 2.4 GHz off, still no joy.

I think the issue is with the home hub. This is just one of several similar posts on BT. 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/BT-HOME-HUB-5-Connection-problems-with-Facebook-snapchat-youtube/td-p/1767466/page/4

There's a couple of suggestions - 1) turn parental controls off 2) turn home hub off for 15-20 mins and see if it picks up a new IP address, 3) factory reset of router.

Personally I'd do 1 and 2, then be contacting BT and getting them to send an engineer free of charge. 

On 09/06/2018 at 12:46, Baz said:

I think the issue is with the home hub. This is just one of several similar posts on BT. 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/BT-HOME-HUB-5-Connection-problems-with-Facebook-snapchat-youtube/td-p/1767466/page/4

There's a couple of suggestions - 1) turn parental controls off 2) turn home hub off for 15-20 mins and see if it picks up a new IP address, 3) factory reset of router.

Personally I'd do 1 and 2, then be contacting BT and getting them to send an engineer free of charge. 

PARENTAL CONTROLS!!!!!!! 

I changed them recently. Reset them now and it works!

Thank you Baz-Beer on me next item I see you.

Archived