BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Supporters Consultation Meeting - Thursday 21st June

6:23pm

"We are losing a generation of kids" says once concerned supporter.

SW: "We rely heavily on our community trust to engage with the schools, we give hundreds of tickets away per game, and we're looking at all options.

"If we are to do anything with the Darwen End then it will be for next generation fans."

Well that reads to me that they may open the Darwen End for schools on free tickets. 

Edited by old darwen blue

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbrays comments saying they dont need to apologise shows complete ignorance to whats gone before him.

To be fair the exact quote from the LT coverage was:-

"I haven't been here and felt what you've felt. The emotion of the situation, I'm trying to get to the point where we resolve it. It seems counter-productive that something they have done is keeping you away from supporting your team.

"I don't feel they think that paying their £25m a year to sustain the running of the club feel they have done much wrong."

Which us very different from how you have put it. Quite a diplomatic answer really.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The reps last night did a decent job, but I do think a more specific session needs setting up on actual crowd initiatives the club should be looking into...

(Though it doesn’t look as if they’re listening) 

Rovers Trust had a meeting with the club about attendances a couple of weeks ago.

If they are going to do things with more free tickets for schools initiatives etc get them in the BBE upper, you know that bit that used to be the family stand, not the bloody Darwen end next to away fans !!!!!

Blackburn enders of the future learning our chants not away fans songs and abuse, little things like that show the lack of actual thinking sometimes.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

Interesting fact that was quoted by Steve Waggott last night about the 5,500 tickets sold for the PNE game this weekend:

Nearly 2500 of those fans have not bought a single ticket for a home match this season ( and are not ST holders).  

Is it that many folk just prefer the away-day experience or are big numbers still deliberately boycotting Ewood matches?

Didn't cause much discussion last night but I thought it was an amazing stat.

• Like 1

Maybe he's just using the 25 mill per season figure as an average over the time they've been here as I thought the whole point in recent years was to get that figure down otherwise as costs fall there should be a good surplus in the pot now.

Or perhaps that's just the figure that gets written off on the company books per year in India for the club ......

Edited by tomphil

2 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Nearly 2500 of those fans have not bought a single ticket for a home match this season ( and are not ST holders).  

Is it that many folk just prefer the away-day experience or are big numbers still deliberately boycotting Ewood matches?

It’s an attractive tie - local “derby”, 15 minute drive, easy transport links even after poor trains. Decent pubs, the team is in decent form. £24 quid, I think they would’ve sold them all at £34 quid.

Compare that to Millwall and Rotherham at home, and it becomes obvious why those 2500 are only interested in more “appealing” games.

5 minutes ago, Biz said:

It’s an attractive tie - local “derby”, 15 minute drive, easy transport links even after poor trains. Decent pubs, the team is in decent form. £24 quid, I think they would’ve sold them all at £34 quid.

Compare that to Millwall and Rotherham at home, and it becomes obvious why those 2500 are only interested in more “appealing” games.

Yes, I can see why PNE is an appealing match but it seems strange that so many people don't find ANY home matches appealing enough to attend.  

• Like 2

They wouldn't have flown off the shelves at 34 quid they just wouldn't but maybe the 2500 mentioned would still have bought them because they are one off attenders.

Not sure this game is the best one for Waggot to be highlighting this kind of thing though as even way back in the day when crowds were tiny Rovers would take one coach to a midlands game but could still find 5 or 6 thousand to go to Burnley, often more than a home crowd at Ewood !!!

When Preston come to Ewood and take 6000+ in the Darwen End you can bet your bottom dollar that a large chunk of that lot don't go on Deepdale very often and are just on the bandwagon for a derby day out on the lash with mates. Happens at a lot of clubs. Doubt a lot of the Leeds mob that came to Ewood are regulars at Elland Road. West Cumbria Whites and Carlisle Whites probably turning out in numbers because Rovers is easier to get to for them than most and it's one of the few where they can get away tickets.

Some people would prefer to spend £500 quid a season cherry picking 7-8 attractive looking away games and going out for the day with mates when it suits them than they would on a season ticket and being 'tied' into going to all the home games to get their money's worth.

The challenge is shifting that preference by making home games more attractive and enjoyable. The club can ill afford to do things that upset or antagonise existing supporters yet they seem to have established a knack at doing that over the last 4-5 years.

Edited by JHRover

Just now, Biz said:

This is easy, it’s called promotion.

That's the 'magic wand' and solves virtually all the issues in one swoop. But until that happens more effort needs to be made in making Ewood an exciting place to be. There's more to it than just relying on the football. Bristol City have done very well since renovating their ground in providing various bars/entertainment for their supporters to hang around before and after the games.

1 minute ago, meadows said:

Didn’t Leeds tickets sell out to ST holders in a matter of days? 

Thought they sold out quickly to season ticket holders or gold/platinum members (whatever they are). Not sure but I certainly recall the extra allocation was available to members.

Interesting reading Waggott's comments on the Riverside stand. Talking about making Ewood into a better venue I'm sure if that was ever redeveloped it could include facilities to be used on non-matchdays. I've already said I think Rovers have missed the bus on building a hotel at Ewood. In the last few years there must have been 5 or 6 hotels opened in the area with the Travelodge, Premier Inn X 2, Marstons at Guide, and now the plans for Whitebirk. There's clearly demand for hotels in the area and Rovers could have got a head-start on this years ago. Bolton seem to do quite well out of their hotel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Maybe he's just using the 25 mill per season figure as an average over the time they've been here as I thought the whole point in recent years was to get that figure down otherwise as costs fall there should be a good surplus in the pot now.

Or perhaps that's just the figure that gets written off on the company books per year in India for the club ......

Last 3 seasons cash injections are:

2016/7    £ 8.6m

2017/8    £15.0m

2018/9   £  9.6m

Source:Companies House Venkys London Ltd Filings

The thing that I will never understand with the season ticket prices are that we got relegated and prices were frozen at the prices they were in the previous season in the Championship. Yet when we get promoted back to the Championship prices are increased by £50, I didn't understand that logic especially after setting a rather ambitious target in terms of sales. Had they been on sale before the Oxford game and at a frozen price then I would imagine that we would have at least gotten nearer to the target.

• Like 2

• Backroom

I do wonder about the free school tickets thing, they obviously still do it but I remember back 10-15 years maybe there was an obvious noise from them in some games. 

They used to be top of the top tier of the Blackburn end and quite a lot, I wonder if the take up is less or less are offered now?

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

If they are going to do things with more free tickets for schools initiatives etc get them in the BBE upper, you know that bit that used to be the family stand, not the bloody Darwen end next to away fans !!!!!

Blackburn enders of the future learning our chants not away fans songs and abuse, little things like that show the lack of actual thinking sometimes.

This should be all too easy and common sense tomphil but somewhere down in the corridors of Ewood the thought process is not working.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1