BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Players who never quite made it

Just now, roverandout said:

If le tissier had been french or spanish or brazilian, he would have had about 80 caps..should have left southampton instead of being a big fish in a small pond..could have been as good as zidane..that goal he scored at ewood

I personally don’t think you can compare one or the best of all time with a Le Tiss. 

Dont get me wrong, I think Le Tissier was fantastic, great shot and technique but his consistency and level never touched ZiZu, in any form.

He knew he would’ve flopped outside of Southampton because he never had the fitness/attitude you need ON TOP of the natural technique and ability.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Husky said:

I'll have to go for Ryan Giggs.

He never quite made the right decision . .

I’d be happy to stand corrected but I don’t think Giggs had a decision to make. He played for England schoolboys because he went to school in England, but that doesn’t entitle you to play for England at full level. 

You’re right, one of those myths that’s lasted for years.

He was born in Cardiff, both sides of his family are Welsh. He moved to Salford as a kid as his dad was playing rugby league for Swinton.

Edited by Mattyblue

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I’d be happy to stand corrected but I don’t think Giggs had a decision to make. He played for England schoolboys because he went to school in England, but that doesn’t entitle you to play for England at full level. 

Didn’t seem to be a problem for John Barnes, Terry Butcher, Tony Dorigo, amongst others. Or, closer to home, even Rob Jones.

7 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Had very deep battles with depression.

Now a successful restaurant and estate agent owner.

Remember seeing him  on MOTD a few times and boy did he look like a player. I know he suffered a lot of injuries but did not know the depression side - perhaps linked with those injuries? Good to see that he is doing well now outside of football. 

Just now, JacknOry said:

Remember seeing him  on MOTD a few times and boy did he look like a player. I know he suffered a lot of injuries but did not know the depression side - perhaps linked with those injuries? Good to see that he is doing well now outside of football. 

Was in the priory, banned from driving after being found drunk for 3 years and A tonne of hamstring injuries, a mystery stomach injury along with injuries which doctors didn’t see but Johnno allegedly did. Think Hughes has him down as a hypochondriac.

Edited by Scotland1

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You can even see the rovers fans applauding that one 

Remember it well. Was in Blackburn end and had a great view as it went in. I and many around me applauded that goal. I think even Flowers joined in. Possibly the best goal I've seen 'live'-certainly by an opponent. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

First time I saw him play I thought - " The new Colin Bell ".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dryhorse said:

Tony Watt another good one scores against Barcalona ends up playing in Belguim for teams till boss gets sick of him in training 

Still young though to cgangebhis ways and even his diet

If I didn't already know who Tony Watt was I reckon I would have a right good chance of guessing his nationality Dryhorse!

• Like 2

Freddy Adu was the most over hyped player in recent history. US fans used to toss themselves dry over him, as he played first team games when he was 14 or something. He then went to Benfica and/or Ajax and promptly disappeared. Last I heard he was dropped from an MLS team.

When I was at university, I used to go on a US football message board called big soccer.com and the yanks were certain he was going to be the next Cruyff, Maradona etc.

Edited by Norbert Rassragr

2 hours ago, donnermeat said:

If I didn't already know who Tony Watt was I reckon I would have a right good chance of guessing his nationality Dryhorse!

I thought you were going to say Dryhorse is in fact Mr Watt ?

19 hours ago, Stuart said:

Didn’t seem to be a problem for John Barnes, Terry Butcher, Tony Dorigo, amongst others. Or, closer to home, even Rob Jones.

None of those examples explain to me under what criteria Ryan Giggs qualified to play for England when he had ‘the choice’ to make between Wales and England. I vaguely recall his team mate from the Greater Manchester schools team coming on here a while back and confirming that. But as I said I haven’t researched it at all, I just recall many people wrongly assuming he qualified to play for England having done so at schoolboy level.