BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre Season Matches

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Let’s not over-egg the omelette. The fact it’s a preseason game is the only saving grace. However, I would genuinely LOVE to see tonight’s Liverpool side in the Champions League - or the PL for that matter - never going to happen. :lol:

All we’ve learned tonight is that we aren’t good enough against top-end Championship standard opposition. Optimistic hopes turn to a mid-table mediocrity rather than any play-off tilt. Oh and maybe Mogga can twist the Venkys arms over some experienced reinforcements. Or maybe just twist their arms for a bit of sport.

Top end Championship standard? Are you serious?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

It's a strong Liverpool reserve team.

Really? 5 or 6 of their starters were regulars last season, others like Lallana would have been if fit. Second half they made changes that made them stronger and we put on our reserves.

perspective.  

• Like 1

My view, which I know isn't always popular.

Pre season is all about getting formations right and getting match fit.  Results are irrelevant.

As some have reminded us about our pre season in Championship year, it wasn't great with some of us wondering why have we spent 3 million on this guy Shearer as he was hauled off in pre season.

I believe Mowbray is savvy enough that he will see what we lack.  Playing the likes of Liverpool is better than playing Carlisle etc.. were we would have won, getting into a false sense of security like last year.

All of us need to be patient.

Decent first half. Kept good shape and closed down quickly in our own half. You could tell the team was the backbone from last season. Liverpool brought on Keita for the second half and we basicly collapsed when we brought on the reserve team. Both goals were schoolboy errors giving the ball away deep into our own half. First Bell trying to go inside, then Davenport with an awful pass. 

- Dack was lone striker, although not that involved it was always dangerous when he got on the ball.

- Liked the look of Rothwell, seems to have a good engine and great pace. 

- Samuel was probably our most active player. Did cause some problems but struggles with his decision making as usual.

- Smallwood looked sluggish at that level, maybe heavy legs from pre season.

- Davenport gave away an awful goal, but very mobile and I think he will oust Smallwood from the team sooner rather than later. Mowbray talked about him and Travis being our future midfield.

- Mowbray mentioned before the game to LFCTV that we were light in attacking areas from the players gone back from loan, and it showed. 

Just now, 4000Holes said:

My view, which I know isn't always popular.

Pre season is all about getting formations right and getting match fit.  Results are irrelevant.

As some have reminded us about our pre season in Championship year, it wasn't great with some of us wondering why have we spent 3 million on this guy Shearer as he was hauled off in pre season.

I believe Mowbray is savvy enough that he will see what we lack.  Playing the likes of Liverpool is better than playing Carlisle etc.. were we would have won, getting into a false sense of security like last year.

All of us need to be patient.

Mowbray was interviewed before the game and he was clear on addressing the lacking attacking area where we have lost the loan players.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Let’s not over-egg the omelette. The fact it’s a preseason game is the only saving grace. However, I would genuinely LOVE to see tonight’s Liverpool side in the Champions League - or the PL for that matter - never going to happen. :lol:

All we’ve learned tonight is that we aren’t good enough against top-end Championship standard opposition. Optimistic hopes turn to a mid-table mediocrity rather than any play-off tilt. Oh and maybe Mogga can twist the Venkys arms over some experienced reinforcements. Or maybe just twist their arms for a bit of sport.

I’ll repeat, 5 or 6 of their starters were regulars, others like Lallana and Clyne would have been if not injured.

their changes at half team improved them, we played our reserves second half. 

LFC supporting mates said they were impressed with us first half FYI  

Anyway, glass half full or half empty, up to you, but this game won’t determine our season. 

Edited by The Gull

Just now, briansol said:

Mowbray was interviewed before the game and he was clear on addressing the lacking attacking area where we have lost the loan players.

Also like that fact that got a mention in about the Premiership winning team, rub the scousers nose in it :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Top end championship? Lol. They brought on a midfielder who cost £55 million 

• Like 7

Just now, briansol said:

plus Fabinho 40 mill and Van Dijk 75 mill. We brought on Tomlinson, Whittingham and Downing :)

It's crazy how far we have gone behind Liverpool. We used to always give them a good game in the premiership and often came out on top. The money they have spent on players, 70 million goalie on the way. I'd say they could be cities closest rivals next season 

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's crazy how far we have gone behind Liverpool. We used to always give them a good game in the premiership and often came out on top. The money they have spent on players, 70 million goalie on the way. I'd say they could be cities closest rivals next season 

How good was Keita? I can see why they call him a mix of Kante and Iniesta. Liverpool should challenge for the title now after addressing the goalkeeper problem and strengthening the midfield. Getting a full season of the man mountain Van Dijk should also help..

• Like 1

Pre season friendlies are a load of bollocks and mean absolutely nothing.

Surely nobody has forgotten last seasons 8-0 demolition of York City. Rovers were World beaters....then absolutely gash for the first month of the season.

Club friendlies are even worse than international friendlies.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It’s called Venkys

• Like 1

As others have said were seriously lacking in forward areas....so much so we resorted to playing dack as a lone striker. 

No genuine wide players and definite lack of pace. Will be hard to solve that without spending a significant amount.  

Thought the midfield and defence competed well first half. Gulf in class second half was massive. Kieta and Fabinho will be great signings especially kieta. 

Obviously a pre season friendly but one thing that was confirmed was a total lack of attacking threat. If we was to go in to the season with the current squad wed get relegated as we are toothless. Our new signings will determine how we do. If we spend a million or two and are clever in the loan market hopefully we will stay up and look up the league. If not...

Thought Rothwell looked poor, he doesnt look very fast and didnt look like a winger, which from what ive read hes not so he shouldnt play there. Doesnt run at defenders or commit them.

Davenport was really sloppy in possession, surprisingly really. 

Dack is obviously not a striker so totally wasted there for all his quality.

Samuel was poor, doesnt use his body well enough. Surprised Bennett was central considering the 2 ineffective wide players we did pick.

Lenihan had a shocker, I know his passing isnt particularly good anyway but in particular today his passing was all over the place including in the build up for the penalty which Raya should have been off his line earlier to rescue, that said well done on a good save. Didnt have many other saves to make but kicking reverted to type.

Mulgrew a class act on the ball and his anticipation to clear one off the line. Missed his organisation in the second half.

Nyambe also very good, a real physical threat and used it well. Williams on the other side was the polar opposite, as was Bell, both poor.

Smallwood and Evans neat and tidy in possession, think theyll start the season over Davenport if im honest. Sometimes I think Evans links well with Dack.

The team for the last 30 minutes just showed how lacking in depth we are and were ripped apart.

Enjoyed watching Keita in particular. Hes one hell of a midfielder.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sounds like our inability to play for more than 30 minutes in a game hasn't gone away. That's ok against Rochdale, not so good against West Brom etc.

In my experience a good pre season doesn't guarantee a good season but a bad pre season means you're going to struggle.

One of our worst pre-seasons ended with us winning the Premier League title!

• Like 1