BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre Season Matches

49 minutes ago, punerover said:

Saw the highlights of the Liverpool game. Although it was a pre-season friendly, we need to improve a LOT. First half was decent very lucky to be 0-0. Second half we were cut open. The gulf in quality is huge considering the amount spent by Liverpool. Hopefully the game against Everton should give us a more realistic test of good quality championship opposition and where our team stands.

Everton aren’t championship level either. Far, far from it. The first half against Liverpool gave me a little reason for optimism.

But it’s pre-season, all means nowt to be honest.

• Like 1

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

If he was I don’t think he would be on the bench at Lincoln today!

Well he was, at least earlier on.

The time I posted was early evening, maybe he had an early night

Edited by Tom

Just now, J*B said:

We're starting this season 3 at the back. I'm convinced of it.

Whilst that may be true. Why does a friendly in which Mowbray has said beforehand that hes just playing a formation to get everyone a game, and one that we are apparently playing a back 4 with Lenihan at right back, convince you?

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Whilst that may be true. Why does a friendly in which Mowbray has said beforehand that hes just playing a formation to get everyone a game, and one that we are apparently playing a back 4 with Lenihan at right back, convince you?

It’s what he has done every other time he hasn’t had to get a result.

And failed.

From a fan at game

Davenport stand out performer in the first half. Nuttall played well and good to see him grab a goal, Wharton defended well, Bennett terrific, and Whittingham and Conway both worthy of mentions #rovers

Lewis Travis and Ryan Nyambe on for #Rovers at the break. Darragh Lenihan and Elliott Bennett the two to give way. Craig Conway takes over the captaincy.

Edited by chaddyrovers

65' - Save! A superb 30-yard drive from Dack draws a stop from Vickers in the Lincoln goal, before Williams volleys over from the resulting corner. 0-1. #Rovers

68' - Save! Vickers is there again, this time diving at Samuel's feet after the substitute had burst into the area. 0-1. #Rovers

7 minutes ago, Ricky said:

So it looks like we’ll be starting the season with three at the back again. Will it take us losing the first two games again for TM to remember his efforts in playing the same formation last season??

We didnt start with at the back 3 at all. Back 4 of Lenihan Downing Wharton Bell

Edited by chaddyrovers

• Moderation Lead

Just a gentle reminder, ladies and gents- if we are disagreeing with each other, can we do it politely and not by bypassing the swear filter to insult those of a different viewpoint? That’s really not sound.

Thanks.

A good workout for the team today but for me taking Davenport asside Whittingham was a joy to watch today , he looked intrested for once pinging the ball to his team mates for fun.

That alone was a big plus for me after watching him last season...i know it's early but  his body language was just saying something differnt today..

Edited by den9112

Im glad to hear of Whittingham having more of an impact today, albeit in pre season.

I've never been convinced by the theory that he wasnt interested last season, I think thats a lazy presumption based on aging midfielders weve had in the past, most notably Murphy. He and Graham were the ones who were sort of made an example of after the Doncaster game when we fell apart, when he was played wide right in Mowbrays most catastrophic attempt at 3 at the back to date, with Williams and Caddis at wing back. Of course, when we reverted to 4 and a more orthodox system, results improved, and he never really consistently got his place back, and had big periods out with injury.

I feel like hes got that tag on his shoulders now, for example I found it baffling that people singled him out for criticism on Thursday, if it was anyone else I doubt he would have been picked out.

I still feel that he can have an impact for us this season, and in central midfield, there are some good options, it is possibly our most well stocked position. Got a variety of tenacity and technique in there.

• Like 1