BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre Season Matches

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I have no doubts we will be lining up with a back 3 against Ipswich. 

Mowbray wanted us to play that last season and I think injuries forced his hand to switch formation and it worked, so he had to stick with it.

But it was always coming back. 

You’d have thought it would have been failure that forced his hands to switch!

30 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Really not a fan of three at the back.

The kind of player you need to play wing back is well out of our price range.

It wasn’t successful last season but he keeps trying it.

The strange thing is when I was  kid, most people grew up playing numbers 4 and 6, as left or right half backs, it seemed a natural and easy formation to play. The only prerequisites was that the half-backs needed to be fit,  have a good football brain, could pass and could tackle. Players not gifted with outstanding pace or skill loved playing half back.

Edited by rigger
Grammer
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Very worrying that we're lining up with 3 at the back in pre season. Same happened last season and it meant we didn't get going until September once the system had been abandoned.

I think we are better set up to play 3 at the back this season. Bennett and Bell as wing backs. Smallwood and Davenport in middle with Dack in hole with either 1 or 2 strikers in front. 

second half we are playing 4-1-4-1 with Davenport in front of the back 4. 

so its seems Mowbray will use back systems this season. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I think we are better set up to play 3 at the back this season. Bennett and Bell as wing backs. Smallwood and Davenport in middle with Dack in hole with either 1 or 2 strikers in front. 

Bell didn’t show any natural ability going forward last season. It does seem lined up to have Williams at the left of a three and Bell getting up and down the pitch but he has a lot to prove. The final third seemed like foreign soil to him.

It’s a good attacking formation but it didn’t work without the necessary players in L1 - do we really have better exponents of it to do better in the Championship? Not convinced.

Thought we looked out best last season with Bennett and Smallwood holding, their tenaciousness let the rest of midfield go and play.

Still not sure we have the personnel for 3-5-2, but he obviously has a thing for it, let’s just hope we don’t waste a decent run of fixtures in August.

Just now, Stuart said:

Bell didn’t show any natural ability going forward last season. It does seem lined up to have Williams at the left of a three and Bell getting up and down the pitch but he has a lot to prove. The final third seemed like foreign soil to him.

Bell looked very comfortable in the final third and looked a natural wing-back.

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s a good attacking formation but it didn’t work without the necessary players in L1 - do we really have better exponents of it to do better in the Championship? Not convinced.

I could see us using 3 at the back in some games and with Bennett and Bell both able to get up and down the pitch is a bonus. 

Smallwood and Davenport sitting in front of the back 3 with Dack in 10 role. the question is will we play with another midfielder or 2 strikers. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I could see us using 3 at the back in some games and with Bennett and Bell both able to get up and down the pitch is a bonus. 

Smallwood and Davenport sitting in front of the back 3 with Dack in 10 role. the question is will we play with another midfielder or 2 strikers. 

I should think, same as most systems, it will depend on what the manager thinks of the opposition. 

Edited by rigger
additional comment
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We had all of them players bar Davenport last season, and he you would think would be good alongside Smallwood in a 4-2-3-1.

Dack was so ineffective when we played 3 at the back, we was slow, we was laborious, we were at our best when we played 4-2-3-1 and an aggressive press.

Pre season is rarely indicative of anything other than fitness.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

We had all of them players bar Davenport last season, and he you would think would be good alongside Smallwood in a 4-2-3-1.

Dack was so ineffective when we played 3 at the back, we was slow, we was laborious, we were at our best when we played 4-2-3-1 and an aggressive press.

Pre season is rarely indicative of anything other than fitness.

I am fully aware of the players we had mate. 

I am comfortable with either formation. 

Sorry but pre season is an indicative of how we will play formation wise, player positions, etc

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am fully aware of the players we had mate. 

I am comfortable with either formation. 

Sorry but pre season is an indicative of how we will play formation wise, player positions, etc

You are comfortable with absolutely whatever is chosen. Raya up front, Graham in net, Dack left wing back.

1 hour ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Bell looked very comfortable in the final third and looked a natural wing-back.

Second that. Was at the game and Bell looked handy going forward. Davenport and Rothwell showed occasional nice touches, but Rothwell missed a sitter in front of goal when the initial shot was not deemed to have crossed the line and came out to him from about 5 yards out and he blasted over. Is quite apparant that we were lacking any real cutting edge up front, with Samuel in the first and Nuttall in the second putting in a lot of graft, but with little reward. A useful work out and I think Travis was the only starter to play the whole game. Was busy throughout and caught the eye for that reason.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You are comfortable with absolutely whatever is chosen. Raya up front, Graham in net, Dack left wing back.

more BS 

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Travis was superb today. Excellent performance. Everytime I see him he gets better. 

how did Rothwell and Davenport play? 

is it correct we play 3 at the back 1st half and 4-1-4-1 second half? 

Samuel or Nuttall impress?

Just now, Tom said:

Looking at that squad I’m convinced we are more than just 4 players short 

how much do you think we need? 

Our Squad

Keeper - Raya Fisher Luetwiler

Defenders - Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Williams Nyambe Downing Wharton Bell

Midfielders - Davenport Smallwood Whittingham Travis Rothwell Conway Evans

Strikers - Graham Samuel Nuttall. 

for me we are a Striker short and 2 wide players. plus a centre back if Wharton isn't going to be here this season. I haven't included Tomlinson has he is supposedly going out on loan

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

how did Rothwell and Davenport play? 

is it correct we play 3 at the back 1st half and 4-1-4-1 second half? 

Samuel or Nuttall impress

Rothwell looks a real tidy player. Two good feet and looks dangerous. I like the look of him. Davenport didn't really get into the game. Was anonymous for large parts. Regarding systems we played three at the back first half and we were all over the place hoofing aimless long balls terrible half. Second half looked alot better without really creating much. Tomlinson and nyambe did well. Samuel and nuttall ran around contributing little. I'm no fan of Samuel and I've said before I don't believe nuttall is good enough. The 3 at the back didn't work last season. It won't work this season and will cost us valuable points. 

Also I'm convinced Tomlinson scored as the ball looked over the line

Edited by Oldgregg86