BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Joe Rothwell

Spending 6 million of a forward doesn't guarantee goals... Look at Rhodes at Boro and Wednesday. We signed Gestede for pittance and scored as many as Rhodes. Cardiff spent almost jack all and got promoted... 

Folk need to just bloody relax and enjoy the bloody world cup! Reserve judgement until we make all of our signings.

• Like 3

On 22/06/2018 at 19:53, Oldgregg86 said:

I think the Armstrong ship has sailed. I never thought we could afford him and nothing suggests otherwise. We need Chapman in and the equivalent on the other side and a nippy striker that knows where the net is. They are necessities. Any improvements or squad depth after that is welcome but the above has to be priority. Shame about Armstrong he would be ideal. 

Couple of big Lads required.  Team small as it is.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Neal said:

Folk need to just bloody relax and enjoy the bloody world cup! Reserve judgement until we make all of our signings.

Massively agree. Still expect us to sign a couple of important players on loan after the season starts 

Edited by Biz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do you have the names of any such players? 

Why 6 million and not 7 or 8 million?

You make it sound so simple 

No names how ever much we bow to the footballing inteligience of the people at the club to deliver or is it. 

9 hours ago, gumboots said:

Nobody likes freebies or cheap players or loans. We all know that to really progress we need to spend some real money, but we do understand that the cash isn't there for well documented reasons, and we have to tailor our expectations to the real world. But you know that don't you? 

At some point Venkys are going to have to spend real money if they want to compete for promotion. Which, I think we all agree, is the only way they are getting their money back.

The amount required to compete is getting higher and higher each season so you’d have to say that the timescales to spend (relatively) big are either ‘soon’ or ‘never’.

If it’s ‘never’, and they are hoping for a Blackpool style miracle then they are in for disappointment. The only alternative - to them spending - is to nurture a talent that leads to a multimillion pound sale. Who is that going to be if our market is loans and freebies (rejects) and Mowbray doesn’t trust the youth / youth system and our most talented players run their contracts down? And if we are playing the game of flirting with relegation to L1 each season then we continue to flirt with academy rule changes and EPPP constraints.

10 hours ago, Neal said:

Spending 6 million of a forward doesn't guarantee goals... Look at Rhodes at Boro and Wednesday. We signed Gestede for pittance and scored as many as Rhodes. Cardiff spent almost jack all and got promoted... 

Cardiff spent £6 million on Madine. Although that does prove your argument that spending £6 million doesn't guarantee goals as I don't think he scored a goal.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Cardiff spent £6 million on Madine. Although that does prove your argument that spending £6 million doesn't guarantee goals as I don't think he scored a goal.

True, and I don't think he even played that much. The rumour was they only paid half up front and the rest was dependent on Cardiff going up. Easiest money Bolton ever made. 

21 hours ago, TruRover said:

I think Rothwell is the kind of player we need to be signing. We have to realistic with the kind of money we can spend, I can only really see us spending 500k-1m on 2-3 players at the most.

This isn’t a dig at you but this kind of comment really grates.

If Venkys had long gone and we were on the road to recovery and having to balance the books then I would fully agree.

However, our owners are more than wealthy enough to provide funds to help us to compete and don’t. Other clubs’ owners find a way. They won’t.

And still we have “we’ve been given no indication that the owners want their money back” hanging over our heads.

Our “realism” is an artificial one based on having rich owners that have no interest in the club (or football) and who have created an environment of poverty while they inject just enough annual funds for survival - all due to their own stupidity and arrogance - and expecting us to be grateful.

Its like North Ko-rao.

Just now, Stuart said:

If Venkys had long gone and we were on the road to recovery and having to balance the books then I would fully agree.

However, our owners are more than wealthy enough to provide funds to help us to compete and don’t. Other clubs’ owners find a way. They won’t.

And still we have “we’ve been given no indication that the owners want their money back” hanging over our heads.

Our “realism” is an artificial one based on having rich owners that have no interest in the club (or football) and who have created an environment of poverty while they inject just enough annual funds for survival - all due to their own stupidity and arrogance - and expecting us to be grateful.

Its like North Ko-rao.

Or the previous ownership.

When someone makes comments about "injury proneness" it's normally taken at face value given it's so easy to check. Surely whoever said this must have known someone would take a look at his stats? Evidently injury proneness isn't a part of his background to be concerned about. Mulgrew proved last season anyway that players can overcome such problems though obviously his ability was more widely known. 

One assessment I got was "OK but a bit lightweight". Perhaps someone else heard similar views and assumed it meant injury prone. Not necessarily. 

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Biz said:

Massively agree. Still expect us to sign a couple of important players on loan after the season starts 

Any Rovers fan... should not.... be expecting loan players !

You can shove your loan players up your arse.

We are the Rovers !

Just now, JAL said:

Any Rovers fan... should not.... be expecting loan players !

You can shove your loan players up your arse.

We are the Rovers !

...and how many of the last 18 seasons have featured loan signings? There were even a few when Jack was here. Perhaps that was more to cover injuries (Witschge certainly was and Marcolin probably as well given the ridiculous amount of injuries that season) but still...

Edited by Vinjay17

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

...and how many of the last 18 seasons have featured loan signings? There were even a few when Jack was here.

How many have signed full time after their loan period ran out. 

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

No worries this is fan forum to discuss and debate, and for people to disagree and agree with each other. We're all rovers fan at the end of the day. 

I would of course love to see the owners (or new owners) give TM big funds, as Investment is always welcome but that is not the situation we are in and significant investment is not going to presented to TM. I dislike venkys as much as any other rovers fan. But at the end of the day the club  is bigger than venkys and we've got to make do with the situation we are in regarding owners/finances and have our expectations relevant to that. 

Lets see how the summer pans out, as while I think Rothwell is a positive start, my overall judgement on our business will be reserved for when the window has closed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

You're making it sound like it's something only Venkys have introduced. 

Then Is it not fair to ask better of them then.

You invest to speculate is it that their associates at the club aren't that good thus we see Burnley outperforming us season after season which isn't acceptable in my book.

5 minutes ago, JAL said:

Then Is it not fair to ask better of them then.

You invest to speculate is it that their associates at the club aren't that good thus we see Burnley outperforming us season after season which isn't acceptable in my book.

Yet outperforming clubs like Burnley is your height of ambition? I have big questions over Venkys' ambitions (and certainly trust worthiness) enough as it is but don't contradict yourself.

Question it all you want but did you say same thing in the EPL when the club had to take people like Simpson on loan? How the hell he has a title medal is beyond comprehension. In the Championship I can see some logic in loan signings compared to being in the EPL.

If by "associates" you mean Anderson aren't you (and the few others who still claim he's involved at least when it suits them) tired of spinning that old yarn?

Edited by Vinjay17

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

Yet outperforming clubs like Burnley is your height of ambition? I have big questions over Venkys' ambitions (and certainly trust worthiness) enough as it is but don't contradict yourself.

Question it all you want but did you say same thing in the EPL when the club had to take people like Simpson on loan? How the hell he has a title medal is beyond comprehension. In the Championship I can see some logic in loan signings compared to being in the EPL.

If by "associates" you mean Anderson aren't you (and the few others who still claim he's involved at least when it suits them) tired of spinning that old yarn?

After 30 years under Blackurnian control we always bettered Burnley and that's what we dont have currently under these shysters were lagging behind.

No true Rovers fan should be accepting this.

Edited by JAL
  • Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, JAL said:

After 30 years under Blackurnian control we always bettered Burnley and that's what we dont have currently under these shysters lagging behind.

No true Rovers fan should be accepting this.

If we didn't 'accept it' we'd still be a league lower than the bastards.