BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Why do we concede so many last minute goals?

Just now, Peteb2014 said:

Because we are learning to close games out through good game management but a player seems to be getting slated for it

Not by me! A few have said they wished he'd have shot at the time but they seem to accept he did the right thing don't they?

• Like 1

I think it was always going to be a change up in pace for longer during games.  We seem to be coping largely but I do think there's a conditioning issue with Brad, Conway, Danny, Bennet to a certain extent and we've looked leggy in certain phases of games which has got us commiting silly fouls and generally making incorrect decisions.....should get better.......

• 1 month later...
  • Backroom
On 05/11/2018 at 13:02, roversfan99 said:

The thing thats costing us isnt necessarily last minute goals, but watching Villa on Friday and we are joint top for points lost from winning positions so there is mileage to that.

We must be top by now.

Surely? The mentality of the boys (and I say that purposefully)  and management just isn’t right when ahead in matches. We’re all sick and tired of it.

If TM believes it to be solely a player issue (which I don’t) then he needs to rectify it in the transfer window instead of spunking what little budget we do have, on potential.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

7 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Surely? The mentality of the boys (and I say that purposefully)  and management just isn’t right when ahead in matches. We’re all sick and tired of it.

If TM believes it to be solely a player issue (which I don’t) then he needs to rectify it in the transfer window instead of spunking what little budget we do have, on potential.

Spot on. I'm not interested in what Raya did. Focusing on individuals is missing the bigger picture. This backs to the wall hanging on rubbish has been going on for more than a year, only now we aren't getting away with it. It's a mentality and coaching issue and it occurs regardless of personnel.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Spot on. I'm not interested in what Raya did. Focusing on individuals is missing the bigger picture. This backs to the wall hanging on rubbish has been going on for more than a year, only now we aren't getting away with it. It's a mentality and coaching issue and it occurs regardless of personnel.

Normally I would agree with what you are saying about sitting deep Jack but today I didn't think we did when we were two up. If anything I thought we were going to get a third and even a fourth but for me the ridiculous penalty was on one of Birminghams rare forays into our penalty area. I saw Birmingham being visibly lifted by the gift that Raya gave them and I thought was only then did they believe they could get something from the game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Normally I would agree with what you are saying about sitting deep Jack but today I didn't think we did when we were two up. If anything I thought we were going to get a third and even a fourth but for me the ridiculous penalty was on one of Birminghams rare forays into our penalty area. I saw Birmingham being visibly lifted by the gift that Raya gave them and I thought was only then did they believe they could get something from the game.

Yeah fair enough I don't mean to class today as one of our usual hanging on to a slender lead games, as you say they hadn't threatened at all up until that point.

Nonetheless we seem to have a habit of finding ways to let teams in when they've done little to deserve it and this makes life hard work for ourselves. No doubt that we'd have embarked upon our usual 10-15 minutes of hanging on and running the clock down had they not immediately made it 2-2 and knocked us for six, then we went and applied some more pressure at the other end.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Yeah fair enough I don't mean to class today as one of our usual hanging on to a slender lead games, as you say they hadn't threatened at all up until that point.

Nonetheless we seem to have a habit of finding ways to let teams in when they've done little to deserve it and this makes life hard work for ourselves. No doubt that we'd have embarked upon our usual 10-15 minutes of hanging on and running the clock down had they not immediately made it 2-2 and knocked us for six, then we went and applied some more pressure at the other end.

In the cold light of day Jack a point was decent because I was convinced we would lose after their equaliser. I think the majority of level headed fans realise what we need in respect of new players but maybe it's time Mowbray looked at bringing in players with the right mentality along with ability. How many of his signings would you want in the trenches with you?

This season we have dropped 16 points from winning positions against Birmingham (2), Middlesbrough (2), Forest (2), Villa (2), Ipswich (2), Swansea (3) and Bristol City (3). We also have had a number of 'near misses' where despite being good value for the win we almost managed not to - Bolton, Hull, Stoke - and just about managed to hold on to a narrow lead - at Stoke because they missed a penalty, at Bolton because they couldn't hit a barn door and we were arguably fortunate with a fractional offside. Yes the result is all that ultimately matters and those 9 points gained could be crucial but those wins were hard going.

Last season we dropped 10 points from winning positions - Bristol Rovers (2), Wigan (2), Rotherham (2), Scunthorpe (2) and Fleetwood (2). We also had a massive number of games where we won but ended up doing so by a single goal margin and were hanging on for dear life at the end. Off the top of my head these were away games at Walsall, Scunthorpe, Bradford, MK Dons, Peterborough and home games v Southend, Gillingham and Bristol Rovers - games we ended up seeing through and winning however could easily have been a different story.

We cast our minds back to when Mowbray first arrived it was a similar story in our wins over Derby and Wigan - whilst we got the 3 points it was desperation stuff at the end.

I'm afraid it is a trait of Mowbray's teams that we appear unable or unwilling to kill teams off and have that fragility that sees points slip through our fingers in games where we are often the better side or well on top. Nobody is bothered in the slightest if we end up winning the games in question but when we start throwing points away, especially at home, concerns will be raised.

So if we want to put Saturday's collapse on Raya's shoulders and blame him for it then fine, but i think there's more to look at here. There's also a lengthy history of letting leads slip under this manager and squad and whilst we got where we wanted to be last season we may well not do this because of it.

Especially when we factor in how many have been lost late on in games this season - Birmingham, Villa, Forest, Ipswich - all the last 10 minutes or so. A lack of resilience and ruthlessness.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, JHRover said:

This season we have dropped 16 points from winning positions against Birmingham (2), Middlesbrough (2), Forest (2), Villa (2), Ipswich (2), Swansea (3) and Bristol City (3). We also have had a number of 'near misses' where despite being good value for the win we almost managed not to - Bolton, Hull, Stoke - and just about managed to hold on to a narrow lead - at Stoke because they missed a penalty, at Bolton because they couldn't hit a barn door and we were arguably fortunate with a fractional offside. Yes the result is all that ultimately matters and those 9 points gained could be crucial but those wins were hard going.

Last season we dropped 10 points from winning positions - Bristol Rovers (2), Wigan (2), Rotherham (2), Scunthorpe (2) and Fleetwood (2). We also had a massive number of games where we won but ended up doing so by a single goal margin and were hanging on for dear life at the end. Off the top of my head these were away games at Walsall, Scunthorpe, Bradford, MK Dons, Peterborough and home games v Southend, Gillingham and Bristol Rovers - games we ended up seeing through and winning however could easily have been a different story.

We cast our minds back to when Mowbray first arrived it was a similar story in our wins over Derby and Wigan - whilst we got the 3 points it was desperation stuff at the end.

I'm afraid it is a trait of Mowbray's teams that we appear unable or unwilling to kill teams off and have that fragility that sees points slip through our fingers in games where we are often the better side or well on top. Nobody is bothered in the slightest if we end up winning the games in question but when we start throwing points away, especially at home, concerns will be raised.

So if we want to put Saturday's collapse on Raya's shoulders and blame him for it then fine, but i think there's more to look at here. There's also a lengthy history of letting leads slip under this manager and squad and whilst we got where we wanted to be last season we may well not do this because of it.

Especially when we factor in how many have been lost late on in games this season - Birmingham, Villa, Forest, Ipswich - all the last 10 minutes or so. A lack of resilience and ruthlessness.

I think you make a very good point here about us chucking away leads or holding on narrowly for the wins we get.

Like you say its very easy to blame Raya for the draw on Saturday as their 1st goal was solely an individual error on his part, but, we just didn't react to the goal and the second goal we conceded looked really poor to me. Smallwood, Bell and Nyambe all made mistakes in the build up to it.

It's part of wider trend is it that we tire too much in the second half? Is it we don't create enough on the break and get the extra goal? Do we panic and drop off? Needs addressing if we're going to do anything next season

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I think the biggest annoyance for me, is that we have a lack of creativity in midfield, because we play so many defensive players, but yet we still ship quite a few goals.....

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 2

The simple answer to the question is that we are not good enough. Mowbray is right - we do deserve to be where we are. I think we'll linger around this position until the end of the season which isn't a bad thing.

I only hope he has approx. £7m to spend on players that we actually need...wingers, full backs, centre back and an actual player in the middle of the park.

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think Davenport was meant to be the upgrade in the middle. It is unfortunate that he has been injured 

Do you really believe that Mowbray intended for Davenport to be an upgrade in CM this season? At the very best I think he was another longer term project that Mowbray intended to phase in over a couple of years.

I don't believe for one minute that Davenport would have been ahead of Smallwood or Evans in CM, even if fully fit. Mowbray likes his experienced players who he can depend on. He's shown very little appetite for throwing youngsters in at the deep end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Do you really believe that Mowbray intended for Davenport to be an upgrade in CM this season? At the very best I think he was another longer term project that Mowbray intended to phase in over a couple of years.

I don't believe for one minute that Davenport would have been ahead of Smallwood or Evans in CM, even if fully fit. Mowbray likes his experienced players who he can depend on. He's shown very little appetite for throwing youngsters in at the deep end.

If he was good enough, I think he would have been brought in. Reed is too good to leave out, granted he is shoehorning him in a bit