BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

2 hours ago, toogs said:

We didnt know that before we signed him and his age, tin pot league etc was questioned on here  

Signing players is hit and miss.

But lately we have been more miss than hit in this regard.

Plus, we were in the PL back then - less chance of getting it wrong because who doesnt want to play in one of the worlds biggest leagues.

Murphy and Etuhu were asked to drop a league, so realising they could no longer get a gig in the top league would have instantly told them their career is now pretty much over - lets get a gig with whoever will pay us the most.

I would also put it down to the manager at the time who obviously knew nothing about anything.

i would imagine TM would be able to spot the right type no matter the age.

Whittingham is a little different from those main two and I would not bunch him in with them yet as he has struggled with injury and finding it difficult to get back in the team.

Besides all of the above, there is no resale value on players at that age. Surely in our financial position, getting players in that are hungry and that have the potential to increase their value would be the better option for this club.

GB was very good at this and TM has already done that with Dack.

Just read a Diego Poyet come and get me interview on Skysports website. (www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11353987/diego-poyet-interview-how-former-charlton-and-west-ham-prodigy-is-getting-back-on-track-in-Cyprus)

Was highly rated and got the Player of the year at Charlton a few years back. Hasn't worked out for him since leaving West Ham and he's now playing in Cyprus.

Could Mogga get something out of him?

Just now, davulsukur said:

Just read a Diego Poyet come and get me interview on Skysports website. (www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11353987/diego-poyet-interview-how-former-charlton-and-west-ham-prodigy-is-getting-back-on-track-in-Cyprus)

Was highly rated and got the Player of the year at Charlton a few years back. Hasn't worked out for him since leaving West Ham and he's now playing in Cyprus.

Unearthing a nugget like that would make a huge difference in the Championship. Weren't we linked with John Bostock last summer? I see he signed with a club in Turkey though. 1 "X factor" signing would be worth the risk I reckon

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Unearthing a nugget like that would make a huge difference in the Championship. Weren't we linked with John Bostock last summer? I see he signed with a club in Turkey though. 1 "X factor" signing would be worth the risk I reckon

I don't really know much about him, only that he was once highly thought of, he might not actually be that good but if he's free/cheap with the potential to sell on later for a reasonable wedge, its the kinda signing that gets Mrs D wet.

11 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I don't really know much about him, only that he was once highly thought of, he might not actually be that good but if he's free/cheap with the potential to sell on later for a reasonable wedge, its the kinda signing that gets Mrs D wet.

Hopefully the purse strings are lubricated at least

I only just realized that guy is Gus Poyets son 

36 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Expect at least 3 loan players as well. This time it will be from Premier League Clubs and not Championship.

Just hope they aren't the freebie cheap kids like we had last time with Samuelson, Byrne and Hendrie. Never going to cut it at Championship level.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, JHRover said:

Just hope they aren't the freebie cheap kids like we had last time with Samuelson, Byrne and Hendrie. Never going to cut it at Championship level.

At the very least a league above what all three were ready for. Samuelsen did end up back on loan at a Championship club this January, but it was Burton where the likes of Lee Williamson and No Hope also ended up, so... yeah. After us Hendrie ended up at Southend and Motherwell, whilst Byrne is at Oldham.

Bad, bad use of the loan market that season. Not to mention signing Stokes to a three year deal, Feeney on a two year deal, and a just about still functioning Wes Brown on who knows what kind of deal

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Alex Song without a club, age 30. Maybe worth a go?

Why is he without a club with the CV he has? Massive alarm bells. 

Fit and all well mentally, then yes, he would be great if the wages were doeable, but I don't think it is that straight forward with this guy

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Byrne ran the show when we lost at Oldham.

Don't think he did much else this season. Lenihan and Williams got called into the Ireland squad with us in League 1, I don't think Byrne was anywhere near it and being honest, we are pretty stuck at the moment 

23 minutes ago, DE. said:

At the very least a league above what all three were ready for. Samuelsen did end up back on loan at a Championship club this January, but it was Burton where the likes of Lee Williamson and No Hope also ended up, so... yeah. After us Hendrie ended up at Southend and Motherwell, whilst Byrne is at Oldham.

Bad, bad use of the loan market that season. Not to mention signing Stokes to a three year deal, Feeney on a two year deal, and a just about still functioning Wes Brown on who knows what kind of deal

Struck me that Coyle was handed a very restricted budget (or only asked for one so to get the job ahead of better candidates) and so once he was in place he basically filled the squad up with whoever he could get for next to no money. Some additional cash seemed to trickle through later on in the window to enable the signings of Williams, Mulgrew and Emnes but by then we were playing catch up, and that money only materialised once Hanley and Duffy were out of the building.

This summer needs to be much better organised and better financed. Mowbray needs a proper budget secured later this month so he can get the bodies in early doors ready for pre-season. No off the hoof desperation signings to do favours for friends or a parent club will give them to us for next to nowt.

If there is one lesson to learn from our last Championship campaign it was that the summer and start of the season we were on the back foot, so our impressive run between February and May ultimately counted for nothing because we started off so far behind.

Mowbray's visit to India should be the start of that and face to face talks with Mrs D usually result in better outcomes than no talks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Struck me that Coyle was handed a very restricted budget (or only asked for one so to get the job ahead of better candidates) and so once he was in place he basically filled the squad up with whoever he could get for next to no money. Some additional cash seemed to trickle through later on in the window to enable the signings of Williams, Mulgrew and Emnes but by then we were playing catch up, and that money only materialised once Hanley and Duffy were out of the building.

This summer needs to be much better organised and better financed. Mowbray needs a proper budget secured later this month so he can get the bodies in early doors ready for pre-season. No off the hoof desperation signings to do favours for friends or a parent club will give them to us for next to nowt.

If there is one lesson to learn from our last Championship campaign it was that the summer and start of the season we were on the back foot, so our impressive run between February and May ultimately counted for nothing because we started off so far behind.

Mowbray's visit to India should be the start of that and face to face talks with Mrs D usually result in better outcomes than no talks.

As long as she likes his wife. Not that it helped in one instance.

Edited by Vinjay17

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

has as poyet played recently? would he be good enough for us?

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

we have already got our x factor signing in Dack. Maybe look at Oztumer or Payne has back up.m 

2 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Expect at least 3 loan players as well. This time it will be from Premier League Clubs and not Championship.

I would be expecting Armstrong to be 1 of these loan player. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

3 players not good enough

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Alex Song without a club, age 30. Maybe worth a go?

no thanks. when was the last time he had a club?

58 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Didn't Warnock say after not getting the job that he agree that one or 2 players would be sold to dealt with the finances issue? but he would get to spend couple of millions tho? 

I think Mowbray going to India is a very good thing and I would expect him to get a decent budget. something like 5 or 6 millions pounds plus wages for 6 or 7 new players. I wouldn't be expecting 20 million pounds budget as I don't see that happening. I would be expecting 4/5 permanent signings and 2 loans signings

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Genuinely no idea to be honest.

I just saw the sky sports article and remember seeing he was once highly rated.

Young enough to still reach his potential (if he has any) and would be cheap to buy. 

He could be rubbish, just wondering if TM could get any use out of him. 

Edited by davulsukur

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Don't think he did much else this season. Lenihan and Williams got called into the Ireland squad with us in League 1, I don't think Byrne was anywhere near it and being honest, we are pretty stuck at the moment 

You'd have to ask an Oldham fan about the rest of the season. All I know is he looked a different class to our midfield at Boundary Park. That's the whole 90 minutes in the flesh, not the " highlights " on TV. As for Chaddy saying Byrne isn't good enough - maybe, but he was too good for us that day.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Let's not forget we have Feeney and Ward going off the wage bill, that will be around £20k a week in savings too...

Yeah but do the players who took pay cuts due to relegation from the championship go back to their original contracts now we have been promoted?Our wage bill this season is quite low but if those players do go back to their original contracts then our wage bill could rise significantly before any new signings arrive 

7 hours ago, JacknOry said:

But lately we have been more miss than hit in this regard.

Plus, we were in the PL back then - less chance of getting it wrong because who doesnt want to play in one of the worlds biggest leagues.

Murphy and Etuhu were asked to drop a league, so realising they could no longer get a gig in the top league would have instantly told them their career is now pretty much over - lets get a gig with whoever will pay us the most.

I would also put it down to the manager at the time who obviously knew nothing about anything.

i would imagine TM would be able to spot the right type no matter the age.

Whittingham is a little different from those main two and I would not bunch him in with them yet as he has struggled with injury and finding it difficult to get back in the team.

Besides all of the above, there is no resale value on players at that age. Surely in our financial position, getting players in that are hungry and that have the potential to increase their value would be the better option for this club.

GB was very good at this and TM has already done that with Dack.

I agree with all that except for the bit about less chance of getting it wrong when you are in the prem. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

we have already got our x factor signing in Dack. Maybe look at Oztumer or Payne has back up.m 

I would be expecting Armstrong to be 1 of these loan player. 

3 players not good enough

no thanks. when was the last time he had a club?

Didn't Warnock say after not getting the job that he agree that one or 2 players would be sold to dealt with the finances issue? but he would get to spend couple of millions tho? 

I think Mowbray going to India is a very good thing and I would expect him to get a decent budget. something like 5 or 6 millions pounds plus wages for 6 or 7 new players. I wouldn't be expecting 20 million pounds budget as I don't see that happening. I would be expecting 4/5 permanent signings and 2 loans signings

You wouldn't expect a 20 million pound budget? No sheeet :lol: I think the 5 or 6 million you mention there is way too much as well. There's no way on earth we'll be spending 5 or 6 million this summer unless we sell Dack which I hope we don't and don't think we will. I'm expecting 3 cash buys for no more than a couple of million then a couple loans and frees. We'll see though. 

Payne Chapman and Armstrong will all cost Money and imo we still need a centre mid left back and centre back which will have to be loans and free's