BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You didn't answer. 

So who is the 6 million striker with sell on value that we should sign? You made it sound very simple. 

Ok, should add over to the football intelligence at our club but a £5 - 6m investment should turn into a £10- 15m asset 2 years on. 

Can we do this ?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

"He" would be Clotet, Derek Fazackerley and Robinson?

EDIT-Oops I realise you meant "played in".

Sod it I've looked at Wikipedia and he's never played for Oldham. As Ladyboys says it was the "Oxford forum" Jacknory meant not Oldham. 69 appearances for Oxford over 2 seasons and I'm not sure whether that includes cup appearances. Wikipedia only seems to show League apps in the stats for whatever reason.

Played in 86 games over the past 2 seasons. 

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am completly lost. 

So, you don't actually have the name of a potential player? 

Why bother him at all? 

7 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

"He" would be Clotet, Derek Fazackerley and Robinson?

EDIT-Oops I realise you meant "played in".

Sod it I've looked at Wikipedia and he's never played for Oldham. As Ladyboys says it was the "Oxford forum" Jacknory meant not Oldham. 69 appearances for Oxford over 2 seasons and I'm not sure whether that includes cup appearances. Wikipedia only seems to show League apps in the stats for whatever reason.

Transfermarkt gives a breakdown of all games he played in , including cups, subs appearances , minutes played etc

2016/17  https://www.transfermarkt.com/joe-rothwell/leistungsdaten/spieler/183293/plus/0?saison=2016

2017/18 https://www.transfermarkt.com/joe-rothwell/leistungsdaten/spieler/183293/plus/0?saison=2017

Edited by perthblue02

16/17: Squad: 45, Starting eleven: 19, Substituted in: 14, On the bench: 12 - (Starting eleven 19 times, on the bench 12 times = 31)

On 10 occasions from those starts he played less than 15 minutes.

17/18: Squad: 37, Starting eleven: 26, Substituted in: 10, On the bench: 1 - (Starting eleven 26, on the bench 1 time = 27)

9 games this season he was not in the squad.

Hard to make out either way from all that but on the 'Oxford' forums they have mentioned he is injury-prone.

"I am surprised that Blackburn want Rothwell. Jack Payne was a bit part player for them,usually starting on the bench.
If Payne can't get in a Blackburn League 1 side,how is Rothwell going to get into a Championship side.

If say Sunderland /Barnsley came after him then maybe ,but I'm not sure he's proved himself at this level yet.Good on his day but also injury prone."

"It’s at a stage where I’d be more surprised if he were to stay rather than leave.

Love watching Rothwell and will be a shame to see him leave although his seeming inability to play for an extended run of games is a concern.

Good luck to him at Blackburn if he does indeed leave - am sure it would be handy for personal reasons to be back in that part of the county and the lure of a big club, higher wages and the Championship will be great."

"I can see people’s frustrations with him but he had talent. At home to Bradford he was outstanding but no doubt injuries hampered his progress with us. Good luck to him but I don’t think he is Championship quality yet."

"Good luck Joe.
At times he looked a really good player and I enjoyed watching him play.
My worry would be whether he can stay fit enough to play many games."

"Technically gifted, yes...but you have to use it on a constant basis at the end of the day. And this was what he never did (alongside injuries).
He goes with my best wishes, notwithstanding."

"Can’t be denied it’s a great move for him and a great opportunity. I completely understand why he couldn’t turn their offer down. There was no better sight than Rothwell running at opposition defences but his injury record was a concern, as was the sight of all that strapping he needed to wear during games. If he can get his body right he’ll be an awesome player. I wish him well. "

On Rothwell, the stats don't do him a lot of favours and the comments on the Oxford board are mixed at best so they can't really be used to say 'good signing'. 

The factors in favour of him are that TM and the scouting team have had a long-term interest in JR and therefore must have scouted him thoroughly and believe he will be an asset.

He sounds like he is a footballer as opposed to more of just an athlete or grinder and we need more of those so personally, I'm looking forward to seeing him play,  though I do hope he is better than Gladwin who has been rubbish so far.   

Given that he hasn't been a regular for Oxford I don't expect he will be here at least for the time being.

I think we do need 2 or 3 to go straight into the first team but there is plenty of time yet.

Just now, Blueandwhitemike said:

On Rothwell, the stats don't do him a lot of favours and the comments on the Oxford board are mixed at best so they can't really be used to say 'good signing'. 

The factors in favour of him are that TM and the scouting team have had a long-term interest in JR and therefore must have scouted him thoroughly and believe he will be an asset.

He sounds like he is a footballer as opposed to more of just an athlete or grinder and we need more of those so personally, I'm looking forward to seeing him play,  though I do hope he is better than Gladwin who has been rubbish so far.   

Given that he hasn't been a regular for Oxford I don't expect he will be here at least for the time being.

I think we do need 2 or 3 to go straight into the first team but there is plenty of time yet.

The messages are actually very similar to those posted by Gillingham fans on Dack last year...talented but injury prone etc. In fact many of the Gills fans were more scathing about Dacks attitude and fitness...none of us knew what to expect then either... so let’s see!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

The messages are actually very similar to those posted by Gillingham fans on Dack last year...talented but injury prone etc. In fact many of the Gills fans were more scathing about Dacks attitude and fitness...none of us knew what to expect then either... so let’s see!

I  think that is not exactly true now, is it?  Dack was their star player and even if he hadn't had the best season before we signed him he'd been L1 player of the year beforehand.     He was much better known and more highly rated and also had accomplished more.   There was far more reason to be excited about Dack, especially with us being a division lower then.   

I'm happy enough with the signing, it's a risk but I presume fairly cheap so fairly low.

• Like 1

Its one that bares some potential and a chance of sell-on value so of course I would rather go this route than picking up money-hungry journeymen. 

Cheap, still young and was once highly-rated at Utd. TM likes to go for players with the right attitude and who he feels he can improve - so I am hopeful he can pull that obvious talent out of this player. Claims of fitness issues and injury concerns are a little worrying but for a cheap signing - low risk.

I do hope we can sign players that will go straight into and improve the first eleven though as I am not sure Rothwell will be a starter, not straight away at least. Oldham fans seem to think he plays as a number 10 but could not get in ahead of Payne consistently (who could not nail down a spot here in L1).

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Reading all that it seems a strange sort of signing. He doesn't fit the bill of an an automatic starter, just back up for Dack. We already have Gladwin in that role , if he can ever get fit again.

Might have answered your own query there.

39 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Reading all that it seems a strange sort of signing. He doesn't fit the bill of an an automatic starter, just back up for Dack. We already have Gladwin in that role , if he can ever get fit again.

I reckon he has been signed to challenge for one of the central midfield spots not as a Dack understudy.In the interview Mowbray talked about him picking the ball up deep and driving foward...from his clips he seems like a decent passer and can spread the play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's described as a box-to-box midfielder on the official site and the LT. Mowbray also called him an inverted winger, whatever that means in the world of FM. 

55 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I reckon he has been signed to challenge for one of the central midfield spots not as a Dack understudy.In the interview Mowbray talked about him picking the ball up deep and driving foward...from his clips he seems like a decent passer and can spread the play.

So really a replacement for Evans ?

Inverted winger is probably just a left sided midfielder if they were playing with 3 in there or something just like these left/right sided forwards who can only do that in a front three.

I.e not really a winger at all nor are they strikers. Verdict = Utility man with a left foot !

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Inverted winger is probably just a left sided midfielder if they were playing with 3 in there or something just like these left/right sided forwards who can only do that in a front three.

I.e not really a winger at all nor are they strikers. Verdict = Utility man with a left foot !

Another Conway or another Whittingham ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

He's described as a box-to-box midfielder on the official site and the LT. Mowbray also called him an inverted winger, whatever that means in the world of FM. 

perhaps he's a regniw...........

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Inverted wingers play on the wing but instead of running down the line they move inside and play almost number 10. See Arjen Robben.

19 minutes ago, J*B said:

Inverted wingers play on the wing but instead of running down the line they move inside and play almost number 10. See Arjen Robben.

So they aren't wingers in the classic sense really the better term is probably just left sided midfielder, probably preferable these days because of their defensive duties in modern systems.

The winger is dead, said one manager.

By the way Arjen Robben - a bit of a one off ?  Always saw him as maybe a winger playing on the wrong side because he was so quick and good at cutting into the box onto his good foot.   A fair old example though, do you have a mate called wee Stevie ??