BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Thought I was blocked?

Simply put Chaddy, it is 7 business days until the end of the transfer window and we are looking very light in areas. Nerves and worries are going to kick in considering we were told to expect 6 signings and have only made 2 in two months. So we are to expect 2 perms in a week and then use the loan market for a couple more? That is the minimum I would expect from what we have been told.

At what point will you start to worry? Deadline day?

Well firstly the deadline is Thursday 9th August for Permanent deals. So not 7 working days but 14 days. 

Yes we were told 6 signings. And We will see 6 signings by end. 

I wont be worrying at all pal..not my style. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I trusted Gary Bowyer and look how that one ended up. No money spent and a firesale of key players. Mowbray is an employee of the club and our owners have shown in the past they'll do as they please, not what their employees want.

Hmm ..... I dont know of any business that does what there employees want?

I dont think its Venkys fault, more a case of TM trying to do his best for the club and team. If it is a case of playing a waiting game to get who he wants then so be it and fair play to him.

In regards to the budget then nobody knows, i would'nt be surprised if it is more than we think?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well firstly the deadline is Thursday 9th August for Permanent deals. So not 7 working days but 14 days. 

Answered everything apart from the first question :)

You love my posts and cant get enough of em - admit it 'pal'

Its concerning that is all - the silence is deafening and the numbers we are told to expect in are now reducing, I think we all know we need one (ideally two strikers), two wingers and he has also been looking at CB and GK. That makes six but we are now told it could be just 3 coming in. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

And now that the LT is telling you it might only be 5 in total?

Edited by bluebruce

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

It is worrying that all of a sudden we are now signing 3 players instead of 4.

What happened to Mowbray wanting to bring a goalkeeper in?I remember an article in the Telegraph with Mowbray where he said he wanted to bring in an experienced Goalkeeper.

I like Rich Sharpe but the Telegraph is terrible they run the same story multiple times 

Its awful, sometimes they barely change the headline. They regurgitate some amount of quotes. They are in more of a partnership with the club, rather than actually doing journalism. 

I remember those quotes, but I would be happy enough with the 3 keepers we have now. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

22 minutes ago, briansol said:

I think you can count Davenport as a defensive/physical CM as well. Would really like to see a proper box-to-box midfielder that will make the deep runs into the box and finish off attacks. Seems like rare breed these days, only one I can think of in our space is Jon Nolan of Shrewsbury.  

But creativity at the front line is/should be the priority.

I thought Nolan looked a good player last year. Surprised nobody has taken him tbh.  

Wouldn't class Davenport as a physical midfielder (Smallwood our only real tackler) I'm talking about adding some height and strength in there - Nzonzi size character.  Our entire midfield must be well under 6ft. 

Not sure where the new lads fit in tbh (Davenport/Rothwell).  Can't see either starting against Iswich.  Rothwell strikes me as a Gladwin type signing.  Slight possibility he may come good and cheap.

Whomever we buy we are certainly going to have to 'eclipse the£750k spent on Dack' - to add any quality up top.

I'll come back to my original 'conspiracy' theory. That 6-7 was the desired/target number of incomings but that they were only going to happen if we got rid of people first. We've been trying to shift out Hart, Caddis and Gladwin who between them will be on a fair amount over the next 12 months, and their departures were required before more incomings, particularly permanents, were sanctioned.

We have a ceiling on the number of players on the payroll and having stuck Rothwell and Davenport on permanent deals (replacing Ward and Feeney) we're now back at the limit again.

Think they might stretch to a permanent signing and a couple of loans but my theory is that more would only happen if there was a departure or two first.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

I reckon we have round £5 million to spend, the thing with that is ;Armstrong, Chapman, Bauer and Maddison don't go into £5 million as things stand. I would bet we are trying to pay in installments or by doing the following

Armstrong-£2 million

Maddison-£2 million

Chapman-£500,000

Bauer- £500,000

If we can pull that off, I think it would be a fantastic window. Could easily not work out though at the same time. 

Add Fletcher and the young lad from City on loan and that's 6 signings.

Wishful thinking maybe  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

23 minutes ago, rigger said:

I am looking forward to the season, I am neither particularly bothered or impressed by our transfer activity. Lets wait and see how we perform, come the games. Supporters being worried about signings is not going to effect results one iota.

No but lack of anything remotely creative/attacking threat will.  

If no signings are in place for Ipswich then we will go there with a decent following, pass the ball around well - maybe even dominate possession but lose 2-0.  Probably with the lad from Bristol scoring!  

We aren't good enough to be able to throw away the first 4-5 games of a season whilst we make acquisitions that have been glaring for 2 months.  It's like starting with a 10 point deduction. 

Flip side -yes we may win a couple and all is good -you never know! But, as of now, the former scenario looks more likely IMO.  

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 2

Just now, JacknOry said:

Answered everything apart from the first question :)

You love my posts and cant get enough of em - admit it 'pal'

Its concerning that is all - the silence is deafening and the numbers we are told to expect in are now reducing, I think we all know we need one (ideally two strikers), two wingers and he has also been looking at CB and GK. That makes six but we are now told it could be just 3 coming in. 

I gave you another chance

important word is could be or might be just 3. 

I'm expect 4 signings

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I reckon we have round 5 million to spend, the thing with that is ;Armstrong, Chapman, Bauer and Maddison don't go into 5 million as things stand. I would bet we are trying to pay in installments or by doing the following

Armstrong-£2 million

Maddison-£2 million

Chapman-£500,000

Bauer- £500,000

If we can pull that off, I think it would be a fantastic window. Could easily not work out though at the same time. 

Wishful thinking maybe  

Get that lot and I would be thrilled - I really do hope that this wait is simply playing the waiting game and trying to work out structured deals that all parties are happy with. 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I gave you another chance

important word is could be or might be just 3. 

I'm expect 4 signings

Or you never blocked me in the first place and just 'pretended'

Glad to have you back though, been looking for others to vent on so now dont have to bother.

4 signings is the bare minimum I am expecting too.

I reckon we have round £5 million to spend, the thing with that is ;Armstrong, Chapman, Bauer and Maddison don't go into £5 million as things stand. I would bet we are trying to pay in installments or by doing the following

Armstrong-£2 million

Maddison-£2 million

Chapman-£500,000

Bauer- £500,000

Wishful thinking maybe  

Very wishful. We have been told ad infinitum that the best we can expect without departures is 2 perms, 2 loans.

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'll come back to my original 'conspiracy' theory. That 6-7 was the desired/target number of incomings but that they were only going to happen if we got rid of people first. We've been trying to shift out Hart, Caddis and Gladwin who between them will be on a fair amount over the next 12 months, and their departures were required before more incomings, particularly permanents, were sanctioned.

We have a ceiling on the number of players on the payroll and having stuck Rothwell and Davenport on permanent deals (replacing Ward and Feeney) we're now back at the limit again.

Think they might stretch to a permanent signing and a couple of loans but my theory is that more would only happen if there was a departure or two first.

You may not be far wrong with that. 

We ideally need 5. Of extreme importance and urgency are attacking options with pace/height. At LEAST one goalscoring forward who will work in tandem with or ultimately replace Danny Graham, preferably two as I don't think Samuel and Nuttall are good enough. Also a couple of wide players. Essential. Conway is a last 30 minute player at best and if starting games with him I will be appalled. I like Conway but we are shooting ourselves in the foot if starting him as we will have to use up a sub on him after 60 minutes. So that's 3 or 4 to rebuild the attack after the departures of Antonsson, Payne and Armstrong.

Mowbray has also made no secret of his desire to add a CB and authorised Wharton's departure this week so there should be an arrival in that department.

3 arrivals leaves us short.

• Like 3

I reckon we have round £5 million to spend, the thing with that is ;Armstrong, Chapman, Bauer and Maddison don't go into 5 million as things stand. I would bet we are trying to pay in installments or by doing the following

Armstrong-£2 million

Maddison-£2 million

Chapman-£500,000

Bauer- £500,000

Wishful thinking maybe  

That is exactly the type of quality business we should be looking to do.  

Just now, JacknOry said:

Or you never blocked me in the first place and just 'pretended'

Glad to have you back though, been looking for others to vent on so now dont have to bother.

4 signings is the bare minimum I am expecting too.

Sadly you were blocked. 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Armstrong-£2 million

Maddison-£2 million

Chapman-£500,000

Bauer- £500,000

Wishful thinking maybe  

I just can't see how Chapman is 500k in this market. Even with 12 months left on his deal and after two big injuries. Regardless we won't pay any figures like 2m quid upfront for anyone we sign. 

Would be nice to think this share capital that has just come in was our budget - in true Venkies style its been left very late if it is. Surely the costs of running the club have reduced significantly in previous seasons with all the high earning dross being removed. 

Probably not our budget though.

Edited by JacknOry

Just now, J*B said:

I just can't see how Chapman is 500k in this market. Even with 12 months left on his deal and after two big injuries. Regardless we won't pay any figures like 2m quid upfront for anyone we sign. 

Why not? He has played less first team football than Davenport and he cost roughly £500,000. Achieved nowhere near what Dack had(L1 player of the year) when we signed him for £750,000. Chapman has talent, but has played little 1st team football, is in the last year of his contract and has just come back from injury, as you point out. I don't see how he is worth anymore right now to be honest. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

45 minutes ago, rigger said:

I am looking forward to the season, I am neither particularly bothered or impressed by our transfer activity. Lets wait and see how we perform, come the games. Supporters being worried about signings is not going to effect results one iota.

Eh? So if man city threw out all their expensive signings and played kids in the premier league and champions league that wouldnt affect their results?