BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray wasnt here during the Transfer window. 

Mowbray was appointed 2 days after Man Utd FA cup lost at home

You can sign free agents anytime can't you ?

8 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

A bit of a weak link for me, maybe I'm being unfair?

Hugely. He improved a lot last season. His biggest strength is his one-on-one defending. He was literally shrugging wingers off last season who tried to beat them and then coming away with the ball. He's a beast physically. His attacking play was a lot better too, he went on a few marauding runs every game last season at home that got us up the pitch. Mulgrew keeps him honest too when he wanders a bit out of position (a weakness but that's improving too). Don't listen to those that say he was 'targeted' by the opposition. It's bollocks. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Hugely. He improved a lot last season. His biggest strength is his one-on-one defending. He was literally shrugging wingers off last season who tried to beat them and then coming away with the ball. He's a beast physically. His attacking play was a lot better too, he went on a few marauding runs every game last season at home that got us up the pitch. Mulgrew keeps him honest too when he wanders a bit out of position (a weakness but that's improving too). Don't listen to those that say he was 'targeted' by the opposition. It's bollocks. 

When he first played, his first touch was a throw in. Game by Game, he improved and I think you have summed up his contribution perfectly. The team missed him massively when he was injured and I look forward to watching him this season.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You can sign free agents anytime can't you ?

mmm... :) I wouldn't be critical of Mowbray for not signing free agents. He did well with the mess Coyle left him. I don't think the free agent market would have saved us 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Neal said:

So... If local reporter in direct contact with the club is saying we're not in for Nmecha... Does that make Alan Prixon Billy bullshit? 

We never knew that did we!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

mmm... :) I wouldn't be critical of Mowbray for not signing free agents. He did well with the mess Coyle left him. I don't think the free agent market would have saved us 

There's dozens out there at any one time and quite a few decent who are without a club for one reason or another and when you're in a relegation scrap as we were it's all hands to the pump. Nobody said free agents would have saved us but when they hesitated in the window the TM came in it was too late for any transfers it became an option and we were desperate don't forget but that wasn't the point.  Imo  i'm sure he could've found someone more capable than the awful Wes Brown who cost us points in a few games when he had to be called upon or he could have recalled Wharton who could at least run and jump !!

Anyway that's all in the past let's not have another off topic points scoring match there's been enough recently ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Bottom 6 team in my opinion and injury or loss of form to key players away from being relegation fodder.

Deeply disappointed with our activity so far. I just hope they'll surprise us with a quality permanent signing in the next 72 hours.

What I do not want to see is panic loan signings in the final hours before the window closes. 

I completely agree jim. I don't understand how the mood on here has completely changed on the back of signing a young lad on loan for the season.

For me at the end of last season the positions we needed to address as a matter of urgency were two strikers two wingers and a big nasty centre back.

To date, with 5 days to the start of the season we've signed NONE of those and have padded the squad out with three number 10's instead.

I guess the operative word is "to date" as many Clubs could be fairly busy between now and the end of the window. Like you I would hope to see some quality permanent  business finally being done in the positions we need rather than bringing in random bodies on loan because it's all we can afford.

If no-one else came in I'd take 21st now. I think it could be a very long and arduous season. There's enormous pressure on Dack to perform as well as or even exceed what he managed last season in my view. The next best signing might be a few hundred weight of cotton wool to keep him fully fit all season.

• Like 2

TM today ..

On Ipswich, Tony adds: "I'm sure it will be a big test, and we have to draw on the spirit of last year. There will be more bodies coming in, but the group we have at the moment are raring to go. Adrenaline will be high."

All of this “if nobody else came in” is quite a pointless exercise. In honesty none of us have the foggiest idea of who we’ll bring in, in what positions and the number of permanent additions. Only Mowbray, Waggott, Silvestre and other club officials know that. We only know that we won’t be finishing the transfer window having added no players to the squad. There is no evidence of this happening.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I completely agree jim. I don't understand how the mood on here has completely changed on the back of signing a young lad on loan for the season.

For me at the end of last season the positions we needed to address as a matter of urgency were two strikers two wingers and a big nasty centre back.

To date, with 5 days to the start of the season we've signed NONE of those and have padded the squad out with three number 10's instead.

I guess the operative word is "to date" as many Clubs could be fairly busy between now and the end of the window. Like you I would hope to see some quality permanent  business finally being done in the positions we need rather than bringing in random bodies on loan because it's all we can afford.

If no-one else came in I'd take 21st now. I think it could be a very long and arduous season. There's enormous pressure on Dack to perform as well as or even exceed what he managed last season in my view. The next best signing might be a few hundred weight of cotton wool to keep him fully fit all season.

I don't think the mood has completely changed, if anything it's getting progressively more negative. Oh Sorry, I can't use the N word. I mean people are being cautious. 

You say we need 2 wingers and 2 strikers, which is there or thereabouts, but then you say we have signed,and I quote "NONE of those". What about Palmer? 

This "Big nasty" centre back you want, I am not sure if our recruitment has stretched as far as Wakefield. Would you not want Mulgrew and Lenihan starting anyway? 

Ben Woodburn is closing in on a Sheffield United loan deal. Would have been an excellent option for us in the attacking third. Plays left wing or up front - just what we need.

Have to assume Mowbray doesn't fancy him as much as Klopp or we'd have surely gone in for him.

• Like 1

Ultimately Mowbray can’t win in this situation. We all know that we need a nasty centre half. If he goes out and gets one permanent some will moan about ‘wasting the budget’, but if we get a loan some will say ‘why are we relying on loans?’ and ‘we should have kept Wharton instead’. Who’d want to be a football manager eh?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Ben Woodburn is closing in on a Sheffield United loan deal. Would have been an excellent option for us in the attacking third. Plays left wing or up front - just what we need.

Have to assume Mowbray doesn't fancy him as much as Klopp or we'd have surely gone in for him.

Excellent option? Not sure about that. An unproven 18 year old at the end of the day. Rated highly though, so lets see. 

5 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I understand about the idea of quality we can't afford and agree to the logic to some extent.  For me though, this comes back to the club being honest about the situation.  As others mentioned, There have been attacking players out there that have gone for reasonable money.  What do you class as 'forwards' as we seem reluctant to buy wingers/strikers. Or anyone that can't play midfield or defence.

Last year (and this close season) we were told there is always the opportunity to pursue these players when the loan finishes (or words to that effect). Effectively, you are saying we could never afford them - in which case those statements are untrue.

Following this point, if the manager/directors claim to be happy with the budget (it's competitive etc) thrn surely that  budget should allow for the purchase of a permanent,  contracted forward as well as any loans? 

You would also think, that whilst attacking players are more expensive to buy, the rewards financially are much greater in terms of resale. The owners will have seen this through Gestede, Rhodes, Cairney and Dack's current value. You told us that Venkys have always been willing to spend.  So surely our model should be to pick up some of these higher value players along the way permanently?  - by this, I don't mean players over £5 million but good value -like Armstrong.  

Ultimately, there is still a lack of transparency at the club.  If we can't afford forwards, just say so.  No need to spin it or cover up what is becoming increasingly obvious.  Likewise you can't say the owners are willing to spend, as clearly there is a (low) limit on that.

Good post.

But the budget isn’t presented like £5m for fees and £5m on wages. It’s broken down but effectively the budget is is one number that is agreed and encompasses player contracts, transfer fees, Wages and associated costs.

The one theme that I’m trying to get across is that you are always trying to get the best for the cash you have. Never at anytime has TM said he has big money fees. He said he was happy with the budget. I don’t think you can say he’s lied there. 

In terms of being able to afford forwards, it’s surely more about value for money. If you can get the right price for the right calibre of player then you buy. If you want a higher level of player for less money you loan. Managers pick their battles.

Whether players are ‘good value’ or not is a matter for the manager and the club. Either way, the window isnt yet shut so who’s to say we won’t have spent a couple of million?

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Excellent option? Not sure about that. An unproven 18 year old at the end of the day. Rated highly though, so lets see. 

He's a better option than we have now. Rated highly by one of the best coaches in the world. Has half a dozen international appearances + a dozen PL appearances to his name combined with a few cup appearances here and there.

More experience at a higher level than Rothwell. Definitely would have been an excellent option on the left.

He's also Liverpool's youngest every goalscorer and Wales' second youngest goalscorer - only Bale beats him. I'd take him here any day of the week.