BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

I agree!

Just read that he's paired up with Katie Price.  That says all you need to know about the guy. She's vile.

Just when you think the guy has scored enough own goals. What a pair of tits

Edited by Oldgregg86

10 hours ago, Mercer said:

Pace - have seen milk turn quicker.

£10million for Dack ?!  You must have had a nice dream where wishes were tripled!

Stands out in League 1, compass might go astray in Championship and probably wouldn't at all in PL - get real! 

He might not be a flyer but he's got a good change of pace and he knows how to use it. He's a very clever player on the pitch, off it who knows ?

54 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't even want to speak about Kean but Mowbray has been far from faultless regarding signings. Whittingham has been a major flop. Harper and Hart ? What were they all about ? Gladwin has had even less of an impact than Whittingham. Payne and Bell have been peripheral. Downing, Smallwood good and Dack has been a revelation. Chapman looked great but was wasted.

The bottom line is it's 50/50 wether he signs a star or a flop.

If those you name as flops; Whittingham, Gladwin and Chapman all got injured. Not much Mowbray can do about that. 

Payne and Bell were peripheral because we had others performing very well in their positions, but they still played a part. Bell was on the team of the year, so is obviously a good signing. 

Hart is a young lad, maybe he will come good. Harper was a strange one alright, but no damage done really.

I would say Mowbrays signings have been really considering the rebuilding job that had to be done. 

Not sure what you mean with your reference to kean in the first paragraph? 

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 08:15, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I notice he has a number 10 on his shorts. I wonder if that is any indication of his style as a midfielder?

• Backroom
5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No thanks. If we want to stay in the division we don't want to start picking up aging, injury prone players. McGoldrick is a good player on his day but consistent injuries have taken their toll - hamstring problems have taken away a lot of the pace he used to have. His scoring record in the Championship also isn't that good  Personally I would avoid.

• Like 1

On the important issue of Duffy and the tartist formerly known as Jordan. He is a brave man. He must never have heard the poem by Robert Frost "I have taken the road less travelled and that had made all the difference" 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Just now, Al said:

I notice he has a number 10 on his shorts. I wonder if that is any indication of his style as a midfielder?

A few of my friends are big Celtic fans and watch Scottish football far more than me, they say this lad is class. Seems to have knuckled down too and started looking after himself better since leaving Celtic, hence less injuries. Looks a clever singing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

This is not meant as a criticism of TM or Conway but I do not think it us just about rewarding players.

It must aid the managers cause to have senior and "loyal" players around the dressing room who are singing from the same hymn sheet as the manager.

I have read at least a couple of times TM saying he more or less let the players sort it out at halftime in games.

I am sure Rovers dressing room is currently very stable but that can change quickly say with a mistake on an incoming player or by results. Having a 'loyal' core is a defence against a problem gaining momentum, it's just better if those loyal senior players can still do it on the pitch.

It happens at most EFL Clubs I am sure.

Bit of a concern that but in bold! Who’s in charge here?

It would also explain why we hardly ever have substitutions at HT in games. Players are far more likely to bollock each other but then agree to improve second half.

Ultimately, the approach was successful because we were promoted and it did appear that we had a tightly knit squad. But it does show a level of tactical naivety and preference (or even deference) for tumthumping.

Mulumbo has been different class up here for Kilmarnock could be worthnanother season maybe two in the champonship one of the few players up here that can bully Scott Brown got the winner to in one of the games tough customer but can play a bit to gets ball down and passes it but can get stuck in to good player worth a gamble for a championship team again I think

Just now, Stuart said:

It would also explain why we hardly ever have substitutions at HT in games. Players are far more likely to bollock each other but then agree to improve second half.

Ultimately, the approach was successful because we were promoted and it did appear that we had a tightly knit squad. But it does show a level of tactical naivety and preference (or even deference) for tumthumping.

I did not mean that players run the show at halftime in every game, my recollection was to specific games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dryhorse said:

Mulumbo has been different class up here for Kilmarnock could be worthnanother season maybe two in the champonship one of the few players up here that can bully Scott Brown got the winner to in one of the games tough customer but can play a bit to gets ball down and passes it but can get stuck in to good player worth a gamble for a championship team again I think

Is that you Dunnfc?

22 minutes ago, Dryhorse said:

Minuscule chance of Scott Brown leaving Celtic and even then it wouldn’t be for us.

Exactly what a team like ours needs though. Proper fire in his belly.

Going off the previous managers we've had under this lot i'd rate TM's signing as a bit above average on the whole. Biggest shadow cast on it really was Whittingham as he was something of a big signing and must've cost a decent contract but he really wasn't needed in the grand scheme of things. Other than that when you're not throwing money about and signing lower level players it's always going to be chuck and chance.

Thank god they stumped up for and he chose Dack though !

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah I'd say he's done ok in that respect. Signing Dack was a master stroke.

Selling Steele was evil genious level - pretty much swapping Steele for Dack (financially) must be the best bit of transfer business EVER ??

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Selling Steele was evil genious level - pretty much swapping Steele for Dack (financially) must be the best bit of transfer business EVER ??

I think it was Steele for Samuel really but hell we'll still give him that one.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Think it shows that the players weren't following their instruktions/plan and knew it themseleves. Suggests tactical clarity and mutual respect between players and manager. José Mourinho aside, how many managers make subs at half time unless 4-0 down?? As for tubthumping - isn't that the point if behind at halftime (passion i seem to remember being high up on the/your list of requirements for a Rovers manager...)

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Looking to extend Conway’s deal?

Meanwhile Payne is told that he would only be a sub and if that isn’t good enough, find another club?

Not really the noises I wanted to be hearing.

For me, Payne would be impact player off the bench, not someone I would start as Dack play the 10 role, so Payne cant play wide so has to off the bench player. 

I think we should be give Conway a new contract for the reasons Ive outlined before

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Agreed. Don’t get me wrong Conway has been brilliant for us but next season would be one season too far IMHO. If we had pots of money then it might be worth paying for his dressing room influence but we don’t.

On a side note, should testimonials now be offered to players if they retire with more than 5 years service rather than 10? With current wages being what they are, and players no longer needing the pay off, it could be to raise money for charity and purely about fans saying farewell to a loyal player... they could even do it during the friendly period.

I agree Conway does deserve a testimonial. been a great servant to the club

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If Payne is only going to be a sub next season what does that make Conway ?

Conway would mainly come off the bench and use to experience and knowledge of championship to see out leads and make us solid defensively

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't even want to speak about Kean but Mowbray has been far from faultless regarding signings. Whittingham has been a major flop. Harper and Hart ? What were they all about ? Gladwin has had even less of an impact than Whittingham. Payne and Bell have been peripheral. Downing, Smallwood good and Dack has been a revelation. Chapman looked great but was wasted.

The bottom line is it's 50/50 wether he signs a star or a flop.

Yes I agree that Whittingham has been poor. Harper was a cheap loan and didn't cost us much. Hart was another cheap signing. I believe Hart was recommendation by Lowe to Mowbray. Gladwin has been mostly injured and not played. But was a free transfer. Payne was a loan and an impact on some games, Bell played in his bit but for me, he is a wing back for me, so to get the best out of him we need to play him there. Dack and Smallwood both great signings, Antonsson, Chapman, Downing, Samuel, Nuttall all had impacts on games and won us points, 

2 hours ago, DE. said:

No thanks. If we want to stay in the division we don't want to start picking up aging, injury prone players. McGoldrick is a good player on his day but consistent injuries have taken their toll - hamstring problems have taken away a lot of the pace he used to have. His scoring record in the Championship also isn't that good  Personally I would avoid.

I agree on his being injury prone, but maybe we looking at a pay and play contract for him. then I would possible take a chance. all depends on the budget and the type of players Mowbray wants

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Minuscule chance of Scott Brown leaving Celtic and even then it wouldn’t be for us.

Exactly what a team like ours needs though. Proper fire in his belly.

I wouldnt want Scott Brown, be sent off more time than ever. short temper and that could cost us big this coming season. 

Plus you got to factor his daft wages for average player 

• Backroom
5 hours ago, Stuart said:

In fairness Stu, I've only seen it mentioned post-Peterborough and even then it read more like the players happened to sort it out amongst themselves and the manager agreed with what they were doing so stood back.

Don't think it'd be a 'style', just for odd games.

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If those you name as flops; Whittingham, Gladwin and Chapman all got injured. Not much Mowbray can do about that. 

Payne and Bell were peripheral because we had others performing very well in their positions, but they still played a part. Bell was on the team of the year, so is obviously a good signing. 

Hart is a young lad, maybe he will come good. Harper was a strange one alright, but no damage done really.

I would say Mowbrays signings have been really considering the rebuilding job that had to be done. 

Not sure what you mean with your reference to kean in the first paragraph? 

Neither of Whittingham or Gladwin looked the part before they got injured. That's unless they were injured before they signed.