BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

For the QPR owner to take to twitter to explain that bids have been rejected and they won't be selling Freeman is really putting his neck on the line. For that one to happen it is likely to take a huge bid that QPR simply cannot refuse otherwise his reputation would be shot at.

I echo MarkBRFC above in thinking that come 5pm we might be disappointed. Given Mowbray's comments recently of wanting another 4 I would have hoped for 3 of those to be quality permanent signings done before the deadline. I'd be surprised if we got more than 1.

Time isn't against us any more than it is against any other club. If it is true we're now bidding £4 million for players the night before the window closes I wonder why it has been left so late when we've had weeks and months to spend that sort of cash on decent players in important positions.

I simply do not believe at this stage that this kind of cash is available for spending, or if it is I doubt it will actually get spent.

I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong on that and be sat here at 5pm with 2 or 3 quality additions signed and sealed but my prediction is we might get one at best before bemoaning time and circumstances and pointing to the loan market as the alternative.

• Like 3

To bring 3-4 players in on one day is a big ask especially when we're all expecting to see some outgoings , my guess there will be 1 maybe 2 maximum today  possibly Bauer , possibly a cheap goalkeeper with another couple of loans later in the month like Chapman and a striker . The Wildcard is obviously the midfielder the 4m bid for Freeman suggests the funds are there for a Big one , Mowbray's cute enough to a) not to overpay and b) not to spend for spendings sake 

7 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

With Freeman seemingly not happening we should make a move for Marcus Maddison. We can apparently budget a move. He can play left midfield and right midfield so would give us options.

That's an interesting one, can't recall that name coming up before.

Good shout! ;)

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 4

• Backroom
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Back up keeper isn't that important - until the minute you lose your first choice goalie for a month or two.

Gives me nightmare flashbacks to that period when we were relying on the likes of Jake Kean and Simon Eastwood. 

19 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Ambitious striker I'm guessing is Gallagher.

I think we might end up being disappointed come 5pm, I'm sure we will be trying to get deals over the line but I can see time being against us and settling for the loan market.

How can time be against us? We've had all bloody summer lol

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah Fernandes would look a fool if they sold Freeman after his Twitter posts.

Hope we don't spend the day upping our bids if there is absolutely no chance of getting him.Wouldnt be paying over 4 million for him.

I've not been critical of Rovers transfer policy at all this summer. However if we wait till 24 hours before the deadline to then launch a £4million bid for a player who they are saying is definitely not for sale it doesn't look great planning.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't know to be honest. Bulking up would slow him down. You don't have to be big to be aggressive. It's in your nature. Kevin Davies is the only one I can think of who " developed " into an aggressive striker. I wouldn't have him as a replacement for Graham unless I'd no other options.  Lol - we have no other options now ?

I would imagine there would also be a better quality of player available for loan after the window closes .. I mean look at someone like Danny Ings , if he doesn't get a move today He could well be loaned into the championship 

Just now, Hasta said:

I've not been critical of Rovers transfer policy at all this summer. However if we wait till 24 hours before the deadline to then launch a £4million bid for a player who they are saying is definitely not for sale it doesn't look great planning.

Maybe the players agent is leaking this news?

It could also be kidology to force a team we have bid on a totally different player to accept it (Chapman perhaps). Or, one that will likely become message board fact in weeks to come, we offer £4m for £8m rated players knowing that they won't be accepted, then we buy a £300k player - but it gives the false impression we are being competitive with big money deals.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Would like to see us have 2 perm signings with one Marque signing today, we seemingly do have the money to spend and would be great if we could pull off a bargain. 

Conversely it would be dreadful if we have the money but left it too late to spend it.

• Backroom

Just hope we have solid back up plans on the striker front, would be disappointing to not get anyone in today and then have to hope we can find a loan 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Please could you stop posting cryptic messages. Not being rude about it but it's deadline day if you have something to say at least put some meat on the bones

Neophox has never been ITK for as long as I've been on here. He hasn't come up with a single name this summer. He desperately wants to be seen as ITK though which is a bit weird. 

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

My mate reckons Ray Wilkins’ ashes are being scattered in Wilpshire today.

Perhaps a bit soon but very good nonetheless!

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Being honest, we need a striker in by the weekend (so by the end of today) as a priority. Along with whatever business we do by the deadline. 

Strikers cost the most cash, so I'd be happier with us spending our budget on that, but if there isn't one good enough within budget and we have to rely on the loan market, then so be it.....

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Just hope we have solid back up plans on the striker front, would be disappointing to not get anyone in today and then have to hope we can find a loan 

It would be ridiculous having left it this late.  Surely, by today, you have deals in place for a couple.  Throw in a couple of bids for 'better players' just on the off chance. Then sign the players you had lined up.

You'd like to think...

A striker obviously has to be the number one target. If Graham got injured on Saturday you wouldn't want to rely on Samuel to get all your goals. 

I think it will be a loan, i don't believe Charlton will risk losing Bauer for free next summer so there may be a late deal to be done there. I'm not to bothered about things being quiet as every deal so far has been done fairly low-key.