BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, Igloo5090 said:

How many were sold on the promise of more signings though? That’s more to the point

Ah ..think theres a term for those sort of fans ..Plastics ? How many do you think we sold extra on these so called promises ??

Are we weaker than the squad which finishes with promotion? I don't actually think we are. Palmer is a direct and hopefully better replacement to Payne and for all the love for Chapman, he wasn't part of the run in. That's not to say I wouldn't have been happy for a return at a million or less.

Davenport and Rothwell are unknown quantities at the moment and yes of course any promoted team needs to strengthen, but the jump from L1 to Championship is nowhere near the difference of Championship to Prem, where it seems you need to shell £30+ million to have a chance. Squad depth could become a concern, depending on injuries etc, but our first xi should be adequate for a decent (mid/lower-mid table) finish. Dack aside, our best transfers last year started as or were loans. I'd be a little concerned if we don't sign anymore by the end of the month, but it wouldn't be the level of anticipating relegation.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

As I said earlier, we have had money, bid and failed to land targets.  TM most feel disappointed and so I guess should we.

Not sure what to make of these bids of £4m and £5m allegedly going in 24 hours and 1 hour before the end of the window respectively.

Certainly in respect of the second one, there's no possible way to get the deal done in time from a logistical point of view and the first one would have been a hell of a push to come out with a bid out of the blue,  get the selling Club to accept, do medicals and get the deal done within 24 hours so I wouldn't say either alleged bid was evidence we had that sort of money to spend.

If we did have that sort of money to spend we should have got our business done early and landed our targets  like you say.

Not the "Head of Recruitment'"s finest hour.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Some holier-than-though fans on here. 'But we didnt need to spend money anyway'...'have a word with youselves, support the lads'...'i am looking foward to saturday anyway...take a chill pill'...'but what about ffp'?

You are right. There are a lot of fans who like to look down with a degree of self entitlement. Draining the conversation of any debate by refusing to accept that some things warrant criticism.

Lets call a spade a spade. Its been a crap window.

Does that mean I wont be at Ewood on Saturday? No.

Does that mean I am not behind Mowbray any more? No.

Does that mean I will be any less excited on Saturday morning? No.

95% of these people dont offer any constructive points behind their defence of our transfer business. And many of those telling people to calm down and chill out are the same people that hound journalists and random fans alike for any sniff of transfer gossip.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

We only have a very limited income - spending way above that means you walk a very narrow line in terms of FFP.  If you get up - great.  If not you face problems that impact on the club for years to come.   Whether we like it or not we have to live within our means.  Having renewed contracts over the summer - on improved wages - our expenditure has increased.  This isn't fantasy football - in the real world you have to cut your cloth to what you can afford.  The manager will know better than any of us who he needs and I've no doubt that a loan or two will arrive before the end of the month.  I have every confidence that the manager will ensure we don't go down and maintain our Championship status.

So would you have been happy with a £5 million last minute signing from Forest? Or is that Recklessly endangering the stability of the club?

I lost count of the number of people saying the window is not over yet, throughout the last month. Over and over again, as a stock response. We have plenty of time left. Just trust Tony, as if anybody didn't trust our manager. The same people couldn't wait to willy wave when there were bids for a few players. And minutes after the window shuts the fishing rods come out, and the rhetoric becomes 'Can't wait for Saturday, trust the lads we have'. Anyone surprised? 

Some fans are naturally frustrated. It's ok to get annoyed. You still want the best for the club. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

So would you have been happy with a £5 million last minute signing from Forest? Or is that Recklessly endangering the stability of the club?

If it did go through I’d have liked to see him come on here criticising the deal...

9 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

We only have a very limited income - spending way above that means you walk a very narrow line in terms of FFP.  If you get up - great.  If not you face problems that impact on the club for years to come.   Whether we like it or not we have to live within our means.  Having renewed contracts over the summer - on improved wages - our expenditure has increased.  This isn't fantasy football - in the real world you have to cut your cloth to what you can afford.  The manager will know better than any of us who he needs and I've no doubt that a loan or two will arrive before the end of the month.  I have every confidence that the manager will ensure we don't go down and maintain our Championship status.

It's 3 years before you have to worry about any potential FFP implications. You could have bought and sold a promising player for a huge profit in that time and you have to establish yourself in the division first and foremost before you start worrying about FFP.

• Like 2

Just now, Doaksie said:

I lost count of the number of people saying the window is not over yet, throughout the last month. Over and over again, as a stock response. We have plenty of time left. Just trust Tony, as if anybody didn't trust our manager. The same people couldn't wait to willy wave when there were bids for a few players. And minutes after the window shuts the fishing rods come out, and the rhetoric becomes 'Can't wait for Saturday, trust the lads we have'. Anyone surprised? 

Some fans are naturally frustrated. It's ok to get annoyed. You still want the best for the club. 

ffs...it's not that difficult to get your head around. The window isn't closed yet.

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I’m sure that’s the intention, that’s not what his point was at the time.

We can still have loaning players coming to Blackburn Rovers, I feel the reactions are a big joke.

10 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Building with what though? Fake money?

But we are league 1 last season, Tony is building what has been broken, do you see that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

ffs...it's not that difficult to get your head around. The window isn't closed yet.

So how many Clubs allow their better players out on loan?

Edit: It's a bit like someone coming up to us and saying "Look lads we've had a bit of a *** window so could you do us a favour and let us have Bradley Dack on loan?" They'd get told where to go.  Even the V's would want a galloping great fee for him as an absolute minimum.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

It suggests to me that he wasn't top of our list hence why we bid so late.  Clearly we had a certain sum of money to spend but some of the prices quoted - and no doubt wages wanted - would have been beyond our means.  If we were looking to make a serious bid for promotion then this window would be disappointing.  However, we are trying to ensure we don't go down and the addition of Rothwell, Davenport, Palmer and Armstrong are welcome additions to the squad and should ensure we achieve our aim.

Edited by Parsonblue

We've only brought in 4 players, one being a loan. That is dissapointing. Along with that I'd say only 2 of them improve our starting 11, Palmer and Armstrong. The other two are unknown qualities.  We need two more permanent signings which improved our starting 11 and that hasn't happened. 

I cant see the loan saving us to much, itll mainly be youngsters. Having said that I don't think our actual squad is too bad, just think we've missed a chance to push the highier end of the league. 

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

My gut is that we'll see a lot of activity throughout the rest of August by loads of clubs.

The point I was making is that surely the time for hand wringing/knicker twisting is after the second window closes on the 31st. To do it now seems a bit superfluous..

2 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

It suggests to me that he wasn't top of our list hence why we bid so late.  Clearly we had a certain sum of money to spend but some of the prices quoted - and no doubt wages wanted - would have been beyond our means.  If we were looking to make a serious bid for promotion then this window would be disappointing.  However, we are trying to ensure we don't go down and the addition of Rothwell, Davenport, Palmer and Armstrong are welcome additions to the squad and should ensure we achieve our aim.

Wouldnt you say that bidding 5m for someone who "wasnt top of our list" is not within the sensible spending mantra that you have stated that we need to adhere to?

How do you know that our aim is simply and solely to stay up? I don't think anyone is saying we should be in the promotion mix necessarily, but its an open league, teams of a similar size have been in and around the play offs in recent years, and with a bit of a push and the momentum you could never rule it out. Id hazard a guess that less than half of the fan base would be satisfied with 21st, for example.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

My gut is that we'll see a lot of activity throughout the rest of August by loads of clubs.

The point I was making is that surely the time for hand wringing/knicker twisting is after the second window closes on the 31st. To do it now seems a bit superfluous..

18 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

So you agree the debt has nothing to do with FFP.

On the wider issue of what we can or can't afford you seem to be ignoring that substantial bids were apparently made. Are you, therefore, saying those bids were fake? The alternative is that the bids were real and Rovers had therefore budgeted for them and they wouldn't have made us fall foul of FFP rules. Which one is it?

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think this 1st deadline is where in general you sign players others arent keen on selling. You pay a premium to get it done and most clubs find it hard

The 2nd deadline is where the bigger teams know where they stand and you are signing players other teams want out.

I expect EFL teams to be way more busy in this 2nd window. Us included in that

• Like 1