BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

I think it's been a decent window, tied down loads of players, brought in a hot prospect from City and Armstrong FOR A TRANSFER FEE, I never thought I'd witness us spend money ever again. We've still got the loan window, bring in some pace, Chapman with a view to buy would be good and pretty cheap you'd imagine given his contract situation.. A bit of relief for Danny Graham and possibly another centre half from the fringes of a Premiership side and we're laughing.. Think we've got a pretty decent side, certainly should have enough about us to finish midtable, if not the play-offs... We're organised and motivated- a lot of sides in the championship that have been here for years aren't..

• Like 2

Just now, SkipDonoghue said:

Jack Rodwell, was at Brockhall yesterday

ciuld be useful on pay as you play

Would we really want a player that refused to play last season and was on £70k a week? If Mowbray doesn't like players with a bad attitude then he'll steer well clear of Rodwell.

1 minute ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

I think it's been a decent window, tied down loads of players, brought in a hot prospect from City and Armstrong FOR A TRANSFER FEE, I never thought I'd witness us spend money ever again. We've still got the loan window, bring in some pace, Chapman with a view to buy would be good and pretty cheap you'd imagine given his contract situation.. A bit of relief for Danny Graham and possibly another centre half from the fringes of a Premiership side and we're laughing.. Think we've got a pretty decent side, certainly should have enough about us to finish midtable, if not the play-offs... We're organised and motivated- a lot of sides in the championship that have been here for years aren't..

Careful, this is quite a chirpy post. Expect the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse to be along soon...

• Like 1

I think the big issue is the fact we haven't strengthened our starting 11. 

Our squad is very similar to last season's. Are we in a better place than our relegation season? As a club and fanbase yes definitely.....as squad quality goes I'm not too sure. Team spirtit is way better but that can only take you so far.

• Like 2

He didn’t refuse to pla

Just now, Gumbi said:

Would we really want a player that refused to play last season and was on £70k a week? If Mowbray doesn't like players with a bad attitude then he'll steer well clear of Rodwell.

He didn’t refuse to play as in “I’m not playing”

he wasn’t ready mentally, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his attitude as such it’s more mental fragility with regards to his injury issues

There is no way he’ll be on £70k at his next club, if he’s lucky enough to get one

if he was on a pay as you play what is there to lose, short term not happy bin him

I feel that my post of yesterday relating to our aggregate time spent reading this tantalizing thread rings even more true now than yesterday. 

The sheer act  of checking back here every five minutes to catch a momentous wave of hope, only to be thrust onto the jagged edges  of  “Transferdeadline reef” exhausted and sleep deprived  with nothing to show for my efforts is something I really do not want to endure for a while. 

Well, until January perhaps?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

So you agree the debt has nothing to do with FFP.

On the wider issue of what we can or can't afford you seem to be ignoring that substantial bids were apparently made. Are you, therefore, saying those bids were fake? The alternative is that the bids were real and Rovers had therefore budgeted for them and they wouldn't have made us fall foul of FFP rules. Which one is it?

We have had a certain budget to spend - both on new players and renewing the contracts on existing ones.  Nobody on here has a clue as to what that budget was.  Nobody one here knows who we were interested in or who we made bids for and nobody knows why those bids weren't good enough.  Clearly, we weren't prepared to go beyond that budget which, I assume had been worked out with FFP rules in mind.

3 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

He didn’t refuse to pla

He didn’t refuse to play as in “I’m not playing”

he wasn’t ready mentally, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his attitude as such it’s more mental fragility with regards to his injury issues

There is no way he’ll be on £70k at his next club, if he’s lucky enough to get one

if he was on a pay as you play what is there to lose, short term not happy bin him

Absolute desperation.

2 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

We have had a certain budget to spend - both on new players and renewing the contracts on existing ones.  Nobody on here has a clue as to what that budget was.  Nobody one here knows who we were interested in or who we made bids for and nobody knows why those bids weren't good enough.  Clearly, we weren't prepared to go beyond that budget which, I assume had been worked out with FFP rules in mind.

All fair enough and pretty widely known. However, I don't think anyone has suggested we go beyond whatever the budget was so why are you suggesting we will increase the debt? It's all a bit straw man really. All anyone is saying is why haven't we succeeded in signing our targets? We obviously had targets because there were others in the mix today according to Sharpe. We failed with them all. 

• Like 2

We have obviously had a budget to spend on players which would improve the squad whilst mindful that it has to keep us within the realms of our salary structure and FFP.

Mowbray and the scouts jjob was to identify and sign players which fit within that budget. He obviously wanted Bauer, a wide man and a striker and they have failed the achieve that.

I'd rather we didn't buy any last minute knee jerk reaction players unless they have always been on the radar. We may well salvage the situation with loans but I would imagine Mowbray himself is disappointed with how it has panned out. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

The bit I’m struggling with is that, with a massive war chest, the likes not seen since Kean splashed the cash in the likes of Murphy and Slew, that we have waited for the loan market to complete our business. Presumably we are going do do deals in the loan window to ‘try before we buy’.

Can’t help but feel that some fans have been misled about how much money we had to spend.

What's new?

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes I'm delighted we're not risking another transfer ban so we can sit there and not sign the players we want in future windows as well!

I hope you and I Ossy Dave will be just as happy we didn't overspend if we get relegated and we're waving goodbye to the Championship.

We might not go down but we're taking a huge gamble on us being good enough.

And you're basing this on what exactly? Did you even watch any championship football last season? We would EASILY have stayed up last season had we been in it, there's many weak teams. 

Lots of clubs will be grumbling about their signings or lack of, Swansea have ONE senior centre half and have failed to strengthen. I know who's shoes I'd rather be in. 

So as it stands theres scope for a couple of strong loan signings and a pot of cash should in theory be there in Jan if required. 

This season is about consolidation as a championship team, we're never going to be challenging for promotion. We wouldn't be next season either if we'd pissed money away and entered an embargo. 

I'd like an RS6. My finances COULD stretch to one but then I'd probably be hampering future plans a bit, sometimes having a bit of sense is better than being spontaneous. 

In Tony we trust. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not sure what to make of these bids of £4m and £5m allegedly going in 24 hours and 1 hour before the end of the window respectively.

Certainly in respect of the second one, there's no possible way to get the deal done in time from a logistical point of view and the first one would have been a hell of a push to come out with a bid out of the blue,  get the selling Club to accept, do medicals and get the deal done within 24 hours so I wouldn't say either alleged bid was evidence we had that sort of money to spend.

If we did have that sort of money to spend we should have got our business done early and landed our targets  like you say.

Not the "Head of Recruitment'"s finest hour.

I'm not saying that we should have done our business early, or making claims that I know what the problems have been.  But one thing is clear, TM will be unhappy, so it can only so that we should too.  I'm not sure how any other view is defendable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Igloo5090 said:

The bids for Freeman and brereton, whilst admirable, have obviously just been placed to placate fans. I am absolutely certain that there was no intention of signing either of those players.

As I pointed out on twitter, its very easy to 'bid' for a player at 4:30pm when it is impossible to actually conclude a deal. We could bid £200 million for Lionel Messi at 4:59pm. Means nothing if you don't get the deal done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

As I pointed out on twitter, its very easy to 'bid' for a player at 4:30pm when it is impossible to actually conclude a deal. We could bid £200 million for Lionel Messi at 4:59pm. Means nothing if you don't get the deal done.

There is nothing less interesting than conspiracy theorists.  

• Like 1

One thing I will say looking at it a lot of teams have struggled getting people in today. 

Swansea look really short and I don't think Boro brought in anyone despite being in for  Besic,Freeman and Bolaise. 

Not many signings in the championship today that make me envious.