BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

34 minutes ago, Tom said:

Wonder if we will be seeing some of League ones better players then, some players there that could easily step up 

I think bowyers approach was right, picking up players from clubs just promoted to the premier league. A few of those will upgrade and let players go they don't deem quite up to prem standard. Cairney, Gestede and Evans were great signings as examples.

6 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Both Reading & Blackburn Rovers are looking to hijack Ronan Curtis proposed move to Portsmouth. Curtis agent set to make a decision today. The Derry player will cost £125k plus add ons #ReadingFc #BRFC #Pompey https://t.co/pgsH9T6iVl

Will have been playing in the same team as Jack Doyle, so will be known by the club I suppose.

Goes without saying, but I don't know the first thing about him

I draw two conclusions from Mowbray's statement.  Firstly, IMV, there is too much bowing and scraping going on with Venky's - he says 'humbly' twice - and it is not indicative of the healthy and robust type of relationship needed between owners and management.  Secondly, there is very little money to be made available and this is going to be a lengthy and slow build - just hope there's enough available to stop us falling back through the trap door.

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I draw two conclusions from Mowbray's statement.  Firstly, IMV, there is too much bowing and scraping going on with Venky's - he says 'humbly' twice - and it is not indicative of the healthy and robust type of relationship needed between owners and management.  Secondly, there is very little money to be made available and this is going to be a lengthy and slow build - just hope there's enough available to stop us falling back through the trap door.

I knew there would be someone who would find the negativity out of what was a very, very positive article. Your two points above contradict each other, as if he is going "humbly" looking to see what our budget will be, how do you know what the budget is? He has said a number of times that he found the owners to be very humble people, so this is obviously the communication style he will be using when dealing with them. Seems sensible to me. You can still get what you want by being humble, it isn't a sign of weakness. 

Sorry if I am mistaking you for someone else, but are you the same guy who  used to come on predicting we would win every game 4-1? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Hi Mercer, I understand what you are saying but I think Mowbray is being very canny.  I have done business in India for many years and I know how their minds work, in a cultural sort of way.

IMO I think Mowbray is playing it exactly right and we will see where it leads.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Raya4espania said:

I think bowyers approach was right, picking up players from clubs just promoted to the premier league. A few of those will upgrade and let players go they don't deem quite up to prem standard. Cairney, Gestede and Evans were great signings as examples.

Fair point although the wage budget will be different now so that's why it's thought by some they'll be looking at good players from league 1 who are hungry and see it as a step up coming to Rovers and whose wage increase will be modest.

The previous approach got in some good players for little money in fees and provided great returns but big contracts and you did get the impression some saw coming here just as a stepping stone and were going through the motions. Also factor in the manager was a youth coach and set about accommodating and giving games to these players to increase their value with a system of play that allowed that.

Next season it's about the fight to finish as high up as possible nothing else so we need those types for who just doing enough isn't enough imo.

Just now, tomphil said:

Fair point although the wage budget will be different now so that's why it's thought by some they'll be looking at good players from league 1 who are hungry and see it as a step up coming to Rovers and whose wage increase will be modest.

The previous approach got in some good players for little money in fees and provided great returns but big contracts and you did get the impression some saw coming here just as a stepping stone and were going through the motions. Also factor in the manager was a youth coach and set about accommodating and giving games to these players to increase their value with a system of play that allowed that.

Next season it's about the fight to finish as high up as possible nothing else so we need those types for who just doing enough isn't enough imo.

Has any player ever signed for the club not seeing it as a stepping stone?? It is and always will be like that. It is a 2 way relationship though as if they don't perform they won't be stepping anywhere, more like sliding back down the banister!  

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Also, we had just come down from the PL a year or two before and were seen as one of the bigger clubs in the division at the time with a good shot at going up. This would have tempted this type of player more than a club promoted from League 1. Cairney and the likes probably would have not signed for the likes of Burton, Rotherham or the like at the time.

We have come up and need to consolidate, so TM's approach seems like a good one. Pluck the cream from the division below, throw in a bit of champs experience in and hopeully we can progress. Might be a reason why TM plans to keep hold of Conway.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Is Saxoman back?

Could well be.

Though he is busy at the moment, fresh from his residency on the Shrewsbury forum, here he is giving his pearls of wisdom to devestated Swansea fans;

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/223520/michael-laudrup./#189

Edited by Mattyblue

38 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Also, we had just come down from the PL a year or two before and were seen as one of the bigger clubs in the division at the time with a good shot at going up. This would have tempted this type of player more than a club promoted from League 1. Cairney and the likes probably would have not signed for the likes of Burton, Rotherham or the like at the time.

We have come up and need to consolidate, so TM's approach seems like a good one. Pluck the cream from the division below, throw in a bit of champs experience in and hopeully we can progress. Might be a reason why TM plans to keep hold of Conway.  

There isn't a rational explanation for offering Conway a new contract.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/rovers-to-receive-fee-for-mahoney/

There's some Mahoney money to be had.

• Bournemouth must pay Rovers an initial compensation fee of £425,000.
  • In addition to the initial payment, Bournemouth are to pay a further sum of £100,000 on the player making 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 first-team appearances – a potential further payment of £500,000.
  • The potential for international appearances has also been factored, with Bournemouth expected to pay £250,000 in the event that Mahoney makes a full senior appearance for England.
  • Finally, Rovers will receive 20% of any profit made by Bournemouth in selling the player to another club at any point in the future.

As an aside, with a name like Connor Mahoney, I had always assumed he from bigdogsteel's and my neck of the woods.

Edited by Give 'Em the Axe
  • Like 2

Just now, Give 'Em the Axe said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/rovers-to-receive-fee-for-mahoney/

There's some Mahoney money to be had.

• Bournemouth must pay Rovers an initial compensation fee of £425,000.
  • In addition to the initial payment, Bournemouth are to pay a further sum of £100,000 on the player making 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 first-team appearances – a potential further payment of £500,000.
  • The potential for international appearances has also been factored, with Bournemouth expected to pay £250,000 in the event that Mahoney makes a full senior appearance for England.
  • Finally, Rovers will receive 20% of any profit made by Bournemouth in selling the player to another club at any point in the future.

Cracking deal for us. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Has any player ever signed for the club not seeing it as a stepping stone?? It is and always will be like that. It is a 2 way relationship though as if they don't perform they won't be stepping anywhere, more like sliding back down the banister!  

I'd say so yes for some coming to Rovers at a certain point in their careers could be as good as it gets and they know it.  Did Danny Murphy or even Peter Whittingham see Rovers as a stepping stone ?

Just now, tomphil said:

I'd say so yes for some coming to Rovers at a certain point in their careers could be as good as it gets and they know it.  Did Danny Murphy or even Peter Whittingham see Rovers as a stepping stone ?

No, more a sitting stone :D 

Definitely for Murphy anyway, jury is still out on Whittingham 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, neophox said:

Qpr captain Nedum Onouha available on a free. Good right back!

I'm the same age as Nedum and remember coming up against him fairly regularly in different things whilst he was at Hulme Grammar. 

I remember once during English Schools Athletics when we were both running forth (Anchorman) in the 4 x 100m relay final and I recall having about a 5-10m head start on him and thinking i had it in the bag... Nedum passed me at about the 80m mark and he was like a steam train gliding past, fasted person i'd ever seen.

Whats interesting is over his career you would never credit as being so fast. Interesting how things translate over to professional football. We have some mutual friends so I will get them to have a word ;)

(for the record he never played in defense at school boy level either).

Edited by Angry_Pirate

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, more a sitting stone :D 

Definitely for Murphy, jury is still out on Whittingham 

?

Comes down to the old balancing act again but for me in the situation we are now a young hungry ambitious 23 year old who hasn't maybe even played regularly in the Championship or for a club that gets over 10k crowds etc would love to come and prove himself as an established player at a club of stature.  His wages will go up but still be modest and with something like a 2 year contract with incentive based pay rises and option of extension it gives him something to aim for.

Then say a 28 year old who's been around the block but is really just an average run of the mill championship player might look just the type to sign but once the ink is dry on his 3 year 10k+ per week deal he isn't going to bother too much at that stage of his career about how things pan out on the pitch, until his deal is running down of course.

I think we've seen quite a bit similar to the latter but the most pleasing season we've had in terms of committed players and team spirit has been mostly based on the former.

All down to the individual of course but at least this manager seems to be thinking along young and hungry lines.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

?

Comes down to the old balancing act again but for me in the situation we are now a young hungry ambitious 23 year old who hasn't maybe even played regularly in the Championship or for a club that gets over 10k crowds etc would love to come and prove himself as an established player at a club of stature.  His wages will go up but still be modest and with something like a 2 year contract with incentive based pay rises and option of extension it gives him something to aim for.

Then say a 28 year old who's been around the block but is really just an average run of the mill championship player might look just the type to sign but once the ink is dry on his 3 year 10k+ per week deal he isn't going to bother too much at that stage of his career about how things pan out on the pitch, until his deal is running down of course.

I think we've seen quite a bit similar to the latter but the most pleasing season we've had in terms of committed players and team spirit has been mostly based on the former.

All down to the individual of course but at least this manager seems to be thinking along young and hungry lines.

Yep, I agree with that 

• Like 1

I would like to see us bring in an experienced keeper.  I'm not convinced by Raya, he's a good shot stopper but his kicking is appalling.  Against better teams we might find that if he regularly kicks it out or straight to the opposition it puts a load of unnecessary pressure on our defence.  Hope he improves but he hasn't so far.