BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I know that controversial or underperforming players attract more discussion than players who do the business consistently, but I'm amazed that we've reached a total of 16 pages on Arma in just over two years.

By himself he's managed to at least equal the number of goals scored by a third of all the clubs in the league. He's scored double the number of goals of Derby County. Amazing given about 12 months ago there was a decent argument that he'd struggle to start as a number 9 with no strike partner. 

He's been phenomenal for us. Fox in the box, scores worldies from range, can score on his own, creates chances for others. He's got the strike rate of Jordan Rhodes but he offers a lot more all round.

I'm also a bit confused why people are lukewarm on him. Fans seem to get annoyed that he misses chances, but if he scored them he would be on 80 goals a season which is ludicrous.

That said there is something about him, a bit like Dack also, that makes you think he might struggle in the Prem. Which might mean we can hold onto him as few sides are going to offer the £25m plus unless theyre certain.

Probs likeliest risk will be a prem club low balls us in Jan, we turn them down, and then that unsettles him for the second half of the season and he gets demotivated...

• Like 4

Anyone wonder how Newcastle are feeling? Two players they let go from their academy are 1 and 2 top goalscorers in the championship.

I also read that the Newcastle sell-on clause for AA is between 20 and 30%.

So at top end, a 30 million transfer could net them 10 million of it.

• Like 1

I always thought he deserved a chance at this level after seeing him at Coventry, and knowing how much my one time season ticket holding friend rated him. To be top scorer in the division for a few seasons whilst the whole club has no idea which ground it'll play in, managers are coming and going, and the fans are in revolt against the owners must count for something. 

Just think, as JacknOry said, Newcastle could have saved £60m+ on strikers by not buying Joelinton, Carroll and Almiron and having Armstrong and Toney.

4 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

To be top scorer in the division for a few seasons whilst the whole club has no idea which ground it'll play in, managers are coming and going, and the fans are in revolt against the owners must count for something. 

He was only there for one season?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Madon said:

If a Premier League came in for Armstrong in January, how much would you be happy to sell him for? 

I strongly believe that if we are ever going back up then this is our year and Armstrong is absolutely pivotal. 

It would need to be an offer of £25 million + to even consider it!

I wouldn't sell for any money

13 hours ago, Madon said:

If a Premier League came in for Armstrong in January, how much would you be happy to sell him for? 

I strongly believe that if we are ever going back up then this is our year and Armstrong is absolutely pivotal. 

It would need to be an offer of £25 million + to even consider it!

One of those players where you would not be confident of replacing even with a massive budget, so I wouldn't be happy selling him at any price, really.

In terms of what we should be accepting, I agree that something like 25 million is what should be required to start a conversation. If we're still in the hunt come the end of January, I wouldn't even consider that. 

Worrying contract situation, I think we've left it too late and he will run it down now losing value on any sale. Runs out in 2022 I think? Hes a top Championship striker who will go and thrive at the top level. Look at Shane Long who's made a career in the Prem and he can't finish for toffee! Arma has similar pace but scores goals for fun. A fantastic signing by Mowbray it has to be said.

44 minutes ago, robbojohnno said:

Worrying contract situation, I think we've left it too late and he will run it down now losing value on any sale. Runs out in 2022 I think? Hes a top Championship striker who will go and thrive at the top level. Look at Shane Long who's made a career in the Prem and he can't finish for toffee! Arma has similar pace but scores goals for fun. A fantastic signing by Mowbray it has to be said.

He's certainly a better finisher than Long, but Long is brilliant in the air and is stronger. With his pace it makes him a great out for a long ball. That's pretty much why he has remained in the PL. 

I wouldn't worry too much about his contract. I would imagine it will get sorted at the end of this season, depending on where we are. If he remains top scorer, you would imagine he will leave next summer if we haven't been promoted. 

2 minutes ago, only2garners said:

There will be a price at which Rovers will sell in January. I don't know what that is and it will need to be significant but I think they will sell if they get the right offer.

Going off Mowbrays time here there is absolutely nothing to suggest that we will sell any key players in January. It would make absolutely no sense. 

Indeed every player does have his price, but I certainly can't see Armstrong leaving in January. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

West Ham fans seem to think they’ll be in for Armstrong in January. 

This is how the game goes. Based on three things where people cobble it together and before anything happens West Ham are interested and it spreads like wildfire.

West Ham are short up front = they will be in the market for a goalscorer.

Some 'ITK' bloke runs a story suggesting they might be having a look at him.

Moyes has a recent history for going after Championship players having signed Benrahma from Brentford, Hugill from Preston and Jarod Bowen from Hull in the last couple of years.

Roll all those things into one and combine with the gossip column Nixon types and we're in for a long December and January.

I give it a fortnight before the buffoons at the Lancashire Telegraph are rolling with this 'story' and then everyone takes it as gospel that he's off to West Ham.

Sadly as said above we might have already missed the boat through being too slow on this one. No club in their right minds would allow a player like Armstrong to be entering the final 18 months of his deal - he should have been signed up to a 4-5 year bumper deal at the start of the year and then we could relax knowing we have £25 million coming our way if anyone wants him. Now it will be very different.

Can apply the same issue to Nyambe, Dack, Rankin Costello albeit on a smaller scale.

19 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

He's been phenomenal for us. Fox in the box, scores worldies from range, can score on his own, creates chances for others. He's got the strike rate of Jordan Rhodes but he offers a lot more all round.

I'm also a bit confused why people are lukewarm on him. Fans seem to get annoyed that he misses chances, but if he scored them he would be on 80 goals a season which is ludicrous.

That said there is something about him, a bit like Dack also, that makes you think he might struggle in the Prem. Which might mean we can hold onto him as few sides are going to offer the £25m plus unless theyre certain.

Probs likeliest risk will be a prem club low balls us in Jan, we turn them down, and then that unsettles him for the second half of the season and he gets demotivated...

I think Armstrong probably has more Premiership potential than Dack. Dack can obviously do a job in the Premiership with his quality, but they are far better to close the space he operates in that the Championship. Armstrong's pace and movement will cause problems at that level too and his allround game has improved greatly. He's a bit of Aguero light in that respect.

Nine matches before the window opens.

Anything can happen and in this crazy season and probably will.

The track record of Mrs Desai from years back is that if she doesn't want to sell a player, she is awkward squad and the January window is short enough for her to be out of contact for most if not all of it.

If she thinks Rovers are capable of promotion this season, her valuation of Arma is going to be very different from the way football manager video game algorithms work.

For a start, the %age add on for Newcastle will be the buyer's problem, not her's so far as she is concerned.

January is a difficult window to buy players in. I doubt Armstrong would be released without an immediate replacement and a significant strengthening elsewhere in the squad  plus enough profit for the FFP ceiling problem being pushed back more than the temporary extension granted to all clubs.

So either Rovers drop off the pace dramatically with a Mowbray slump of the kind we are all too familiar with which changes the balance of probabilities calculus,

or Armstrong continues his scoring spree for someone to decide he is worth a £40m+ punt.

At that price, not many PL clubs are at the races and any club in another country has the problem of him being a third country national.

I am second guessing Venky's so could be completely wrong but in the final analysis they make the decision. Reasonable valuation is reasonable to them, not anyone else.