BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

24 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The commentators said last night he has had 56 more shots than the next person. Isn't that quite the stat? It definitely tells a few things, firstly we were totally set up for him as a team earlier in the season. Secondly, that he is wasteful or greedy I would say. I mean 56 more shots. It's unbelievable really,isn't it? What an insane stat. Be something very wrong if he wasn't top scorer. He has had a great season, but I have my doubts he will repeat it. £25 million be nice for a new manager to spend. 

IMO it also shows that we don't create nearly as many 'chances' as Mowbray bangs on about for all these 'shots' we have. Arma shoots on sight - I'd wager most of those 150 shots are from outside the area. Likes of Brereton also like weak efforts from outside the area.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

IMO it also shows that we don't create nearly as many 'chances' as Mowbray bangs on about for all these 'shots' we have. Arma shoots on sight - I'd wager most of those 150 shots are from outside the area. Likes of Brereton also like weak efforts from outside the area.

AA had 9 shots in that game against Bristol city, so all bumps the stats up. That's all guff talk from Mowbray. Only one stat matters. 

55 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The commentators said last night he has had 56 more shots than the next person. Isn't that quite the stat? It definitely tells a few things, firstly we were totally set up for him as a team earlier in the season. Secondly, that he is wasteful or greedy I would say. I mean 56 more shots. It's unbelievable really,isn't it? What an insane stat. Be something very wrong if he wasn't top scorer. He has had a great season, but I have my doubts he will repeat it. £25 million be nice for a new manager to spend. 

Who is paying 35 million for Armstrong to cover the Newcastle sell on? As if Venkys or indeed most owners would allow the whole fee to go on new players anyway.

Its not just a one off season, he scored plenty last season, and has also scored 20 before. 

The main stat you want to look at is that the second top scorer in the league on 19 goals plays for a bottom half team, for whom the next top scorer has 5. He made quite a few good runs yesterday again but unfortunately his team mates didnt support him or get beyond him.

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Who is paying 35 million for Armstrong to cover the Newcastle sell on? As if Venkys or indeed most owners would allow the whole fee to go on new players anyway.

Its not just a one off season, he scored plenty last season, and has also scored 20 before. 

The main stat you want to look at is that the second top scorer in the league on 19 goals plays for a bottom half team, for whom the next top scorer has 5. He made quite a few good runs yesterday again but unfortunately his team mates didnt support him or get beyond him.

I wouldn't be against keeping him. I think there is plenty more to come, but he won't get to take 56 more shots than the nearest player in the league every season you would imagine, even if he played for one of the top 2. So our position isn't really relevant, if he is getting to take 56 more shots than the nearest rival. I wonder who the nearest player is, it would be interesting to compare and contrast with Toney. 

Ya, he wasn't always well supported, but often when he is he doesn't pick the right pass, or even pass at all. Great breakthrough season for him though, the team was set up to facilitate him well. When he scored those 20 goals previously, it was in League 1, as you know. Last season the majority of goals were worldies from outside the box. Those goals have totally eluded him this season. He is going to need to strike the balance between those goals and the tap ins going forward. I hope it's not a one off season reaching the 20 mark at this level, which he surely will do at some point this season. Be interesting to see if he finishes top scorer. Certainly on a lean patch compared to earlier, but then the whole thing has really fallen apart. Elliott was a great foil for him. 

Looking at those around him on the list, you would have to favour Toney obviously to finish ahead of him and then you have Pukki , Joao and Moore. He will do well to hold them off as things stand. He's not going to get 56 more shots than all of them between now and then end of the season. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't be against keeping him. I think there is plenty more to come, but he won't get to take 56 more shots than the nearest player in the league every season you would imagine, even if he played for one of the top 2. So our position isn't really relevant, if he is getting to take 56 more shots than the nearest rival. I wonder who the nearest player is, it would be interesting to compare and contrast with Toney. 

Ya, he wasn't always well supported, but often when he is he doesn't pick the right pass, or even pass at all. Great breakthrough season for him though, the team was set up to facilitate him well. When he scored those 20 goals previously, it was in League 1, as you know. Last season the majority of goals were worldies from outside the box. Those goals have totally eluded him this season. He is going to need to strike the balance between those goals and the tap ins going forward. I hope it's not a one off season reaching the 20 mark at this level, which he surely will do at some point this season. Be interesting to see if he finishes top scorer. Certainly on a lean patch compared to earlier, but then the whole thing has really fallen apart. Elliott was a great foil for him. 

Looking at those around him on the list, you would have to favour Toney obviopsuly to finsih ahead of him and then you have Pukki , Joao and Moore. He will do well to hold them off as things stand. He's not going to get 56 more shots than all of them between now and then end of the season. 

When has the team ever been set up to facilitate him? You are making out as if he has missed 56 clear cut opportunities which is not the case. Is he the most clinical of strikers? No. Does he take shots out of frustration at times? Yes. But by hook or by crook, his goal record this season and last is very impressive.

The only other players above goals are all in top 6 sides, Armstrong has done incredibly well to get the number of goals he has in such an imbalanced side, often as seen yesterday left isolated by a sorry supporting cast who quite simply do not pull their weight. Armstrong will have to be sold in the summer with a year left on his deal and we will need the likes of Brereton, Gallagher, Rothwell etc to step up to fill that void in terms of goals and I wont be holding my breath.

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

And likewise he both gave the ball away (when dropping deeper to try to link up on play) or overhit simple passes that would have put a teammate through on goal (see his pass to Brereton).

He is who he is - a very one dimensional, very selfish goal scorer. His all round game is poor - which is why I'm constantly baffled by the PL links. 

When he's not scoring goals he contributed v little to the side - which we've seen lately.

On 01/03/2021 at 00:24, Sparks Rover said:

For me, Rothwell hasn't peaked and needs a different manager to get the best out of him.  He's a confidence player with a manger that sucks it out of players.

Rothwell is unplayable at times and can do things no other player can do in our squad.  I feel sorry for him and I'd be advising him to find a new club if I was his agent.

I think he can be the spare in a 352 behind the front 2.  We are suited to wing backs with Douglas and Nyambe.....but with the under investment in our defence and midfield for so long any attacking system is totally undermined. 

Mowbray Out!

Did you notice the cuddle and chat Elliott got from Mowbray when he came off?

He didn't even acknowledge Rothwell. Shocking man manager.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

When has the team ever been set up to facilitate him? You are making out as if he has missed 56 clear cut opportunities which is not the case. Is he the most clinical of strikers? No. Does he take shots out of frustration at times? Yes. But by hook or by crook, his goal record this season and last is very impressive.

The only other players above goals are all in top 6 sides, Armstrong has done incredibly well to get the number of goals he has in such an imbalanced side, often as seen yesterday left isolated by a sorry supporting cast who quite simply do not pull their weight. Armstrong will have to be sold in the summer with a year left on his deal and we will need the likes of Brereton, Gallagher, Rothwell etc to step up to fill that void in terms of goals and I wont be holding my breath.

At the beginning of the season, where he scored the majority of his goals. I don't remember him making many Rothwell style runs passed numerous players to create those chances. Everything was being funneled into him. 56 more shots man. He must have thought he could score them when he took them on,  otherwise , maybe he shouldn't be taking so many? 

Ya Moore playing for a top 6 side now, as are the others, but he still had at least 56 more shots than any of them. 

I bet no player has ever had as many shots in this division at this stage. 

Bit of a strawman there, I said I would be happy enough to keep him. Although I bet if Gallagher or Brereton were central and took 56 more shots than any other player in the league, they would have certainly scored more than they have.  10-15 each maybe. Brereton could actually be an option centrally now I think. He looks to be developing physically and his aggression levels are better. As many have mentioned on here, we really miss a physical presence upfront. We got found out ages ago and Mowbray couldn't and wouldn't adapt the style. We are brutal in the final third at the moment. Far too easy to play against. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

If he is going it's handy having two teams chasing him. The fee may go up.  I wonder if he really was injured yesterday or just " his head wasn't in the right place ".

For me although he's a better bet than Rhodes was because of his pace I still don't think he'll make the step up. If you're playing with one up front he's not the answer and that's how Brighton play at the moment. As a wide player he's average championship level.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Ah yes, Nixon with his weekly Armstrong 'update'. 

What is it with him and touting free scoring Rovers strikers around? Does he just have a weird obsession with our top scorers or is there something more sinister going on here?

Are they any Brighton's players we want? 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If he is going it's handy having two teams chasing him. The fee may go up.  I wonder if he really was injured yesterday or just " his head wasn't in the right place ".

For me although he's a better bet than Rhodes was because of his pace I still don't think he'll make the step up. If you're playing with one up front he's not the answer and that's how Brighton play at the moment. As a wide player he's average championship level.

He was injured from what we know. He watched the game yesterday as he posted a picture of watching the game. 

After watching Brighton yesterday they lack.a goalscorer. Too reliant on Maupay

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Ah yes, Nixon with his weekly Armstrong 'update'. 

What is it with him and touting free scoring Rovers strikers around? Does he just have a weird obsession with our top scorers or is there something more sinister going on here?

He reported Brighton are interest in him which doesnt surprise me. They need a striker. Hardly touting players around is it? 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

He reported Brighton are interest in him which doesnt surprise me. They need a striker. Hardly touting players around is it? 

Why does he have a now almost weekly column speculating on potential bids and destinations for Armstrong just like he did for over a year before Jordan Rhodes eventually departed?

Why doesn't he run such 'stories' on other players?

Does he have an unhealthy obsession with linking our goalscorers with moves or is he acting on someone else's behalf to try and drum up interest in a move?

21 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Why does he have a now almost weekly column speculating on potential bids and destinations for Armstrong just like he did for over a year before Jordan Rhodes eventually departed?

Why doesn't he run such 'stories' on other players?

Does he have an unhealthy obsession with linking our goalscorers with moves or is he acting on someone else's behalf to try and drum up interest in a move?

Maybe cos Armstrong and his agent are pushing for a move to the Premier League and leaking it to Nixon. 

Hull and Bruce wanted Rhodes badly that summer.