BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

Just now, JHRover said:

I'd say Armstrong was more likely to sign a new deal if we got rid of Mowbray and brought in a manager that made people sit up and think we mean business.

As it stands with Mowbray here in the summer no player worth his salt will want to stick here long term.

He's also more likely to sign a new deal if the club actually offers him one. By the sounds of things we haven't even reached that stage yet.

Why is more likely? when Armstrong has produced his best form under Mowbray and they have good working relationship. 

Plus when PL teams are interest him in why would he sign a contract here? 

And why do you say that the club haven't offered his a new contract?

Also, yesterdays impressive performance has seemingly added weight to the idea that Armstrong is a hindrance rather than an asset. He has missed 2 games that I can remember, the other was the most impotent of attacking performances you could wish to see at home to Boro, just for some balance.

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why is more likely? when Armstrong has produced his best form under Mowbray and they have good working relationship. 

Plus when PL teams are interest him in why would he sign a contract here? 

And why do you say that the club haven't offered his a new contract?

Because for a player like Armstrong it will be all about getting to the Prem asap. He doesn't have the time in his career to plod around in circles for 4-5 years.

The next best thing to a move to the Premier League is to be at a club with genuine aspirations of getting there and the staff and structure in place to do it.

Whilst Armstrong has performed well in Mowbray's teams anyone paying any attention to our results and performances under Mowbray's management in the last 2-3 years will see we aren't close to the requirements. Barnsley have gone closer in the last 10 days than we have in 3 years.

So the only way of keeping someone like Armstrong is to convince them that we aren't happy with our lot in life and that we are going to do what is necessary to get promoted. There's no indication that has happened

As for my doubts on contracts reading Mowbray's public comments he is reminding the owners of the perils of allowing contracts to run down. Not the sort of comments i would expect if we were busy trying to sort. And little has happened in terms of progress since last year. I dont get any impression Venkys or the club are locked in talks thrashing out a deal. Confusion and inertia are the way of things here

Edited by JHRover

There is a very good striker in the French second division. Young, quick, physical and banging them in. Mohamed Bayo. 

I don't know whether he would be out our range if we sold Arma. He would probably cost a few quid. Always a bit of a gamble. But one that could pay off big time.

2 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

There is a very good striker in the French second division. Young, quick, physical and banging them in. Mohamed Bayo. 

I don't know whether he would be out our range if we sold Arma. He would probably cost a few quid. Always a bit of a gamble. But one that could pay off big time.

Yes he look goods in the clips I've seen. Suggest him last Sunday..https://www.brfcs.com/forums/topic/33479-adam-armstrong/?do=findComment&comment=2181248

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do we need that type of striker or would you prefer someone like Jephcott or Woodrow?

Never seen Jephcott play.

Youd think there is someone via our new scouting network  to fill the void that Armstrong will leave. But Dack off Diedhou could work.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Never seen Jephcott play.

But Dack off Diedhou could work.

His goalscoring record ar best 1 goal in 3 games. 

I think we need to get a proper goalscorer who will score goals and be less concern if him and Dack could work. 

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

His goalscoring record ar best 1 goal in 3 games. 

I think we need to get a proper goalscorer who will score goals and be less concern if him and Dack could work. 

Graham was only 1 in 3 for us. Less, actually (57 goals in 191 appearances so one every 3.35 games), but since a bunch were sub appearances later on I'll call it 1 in 3.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2021 at 19:31, roversfan99 said:

Also, yesterdays impressive performance has seemingly added weight to the idea that Armstrong is a hindrance rather than an asset. He has missed 2 games that I can remember, the other was the most impotent of attacking performances you could wish to see at home to Boro, just for some balance.

You used the word "hindrance"

How many has he scored in the last 15? Many assists? 

He scored 9 in his first 9 games. Something has changed. You can ignore it all you want and point to the scorers chart, but there is an issue. He is part of a malfunctioning attack. 

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You used the word "hindrance"

How many has he scored in the last 15? Many assists? 

He scored 9 in his first 9 games. Something has changed. You can ignore it all you want and point to the scorers chart, but there is an issue. He is part of a malfunctioning attack. 

His form has definitely dipped, he has 5 goals and an assist in those 15 games which is as many goals as anyone else has across the season but is not at his previous level.

I have noticed him being far more selfless recently, dropping deep, linking up, I think the goal at Boro was a perfect example, dropped deep, linked the play and laid off Elliott to square for Rothwell to score. Comparing the numbers, I prefer the selfish Armstrong I think.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

His form has definitely dipped, he has 5 goals and an assist in those 15 games which is as many goals as anyone else has across the season but is not at his previous level.

I have noticed him being far more selfless recently, dropping deep, linking up, I think the goal at Boro was a perfect example, dropped deep, linked the play and laid off Elliott to square for Rothwell to score. Comparing the numbers, I prefer the selfish Armstrong I think.

He is playing centrally, so you would expect him to have more than anyone else. 

Ya, that Boro goal stick's in my mind too. A rare glimpse of that side of his game. Hopefully more to come. I'm more about team performances than Armstrongs numbers to be honest. 

5 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

As if Armstrong started shooting on sight, game after game, without Mowbray's instruction. BS. He was told to do it. He'd have been hooked otherwise but no...he never has been, has he?

AA plays to Mowbray's instructions just like all Rovers players. He's the manager.

I watched 'Under the Cosh' with David Dunn recently.

He said he got a bollocking off Big Sam in training for shooting from distance. Sam started shouting out statistics of how many goals are scored from distance and how many are scored from getting the ball wide and crosses into the box.

Dunn was a bit perplexed, but Big Sam whispered to him something about it being fine for him to shoot from there, he just didn't want the rest of them thinking they had the ability to do it 😂

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

As if Armstrong started shooting on sight, game after game, without Mowbray's instruction. BS. He was told to do it. He'd have been hooked otherwise but no...he never has been, has he?

AA plays to Mowbray's instructions just like all Rovers players. He's the manager.

The manager can't control what players do in the white heat of a game. He probably was instructed to shoot on sight, but at a certain point, if that's not working, he should improvise and look at other options. Anyway, it's his ability/technique that let him down on all those shots that hit defenders/fail to beat the keeper. Just needs that extra little trick or movement. So many times he should have went round the keeper, but didn't. 

33 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The manager can't control what players do in the white heat of a game. He probably was instructed to shoot on sight, but at a certain point, if that's not working, he should improvise and look at other options. Anyway, it's his ability/technique that let him down on all those shots that hit defenders/fail to beat the keeper. Just needs that extra little trick or movement. So many times he should have went round the keeper, but didn't. 

Do you want to improve this meandering response? Eh?!?

Seriously, I read it three times and I don't know what your point is. Honestly not trying be a dick here for once...

On 28/02/2021 at 06:24, chaddyrovers said:

If we are going to sell Armstrong this summer due to him wanting PL football and Rovers needed to cash up then I hope we have been scouting replacements for him. 

Here is a few players I would look at to replace him

1.  Luke Jephcott from Plymouth. Luke Jephcott 20/21 Highlights - YouTube

2. Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley CAULEY WOODROW - ALL 15 GOALS 2019/2020 SEASON - YouTube

3. Jordan Hugill from Norwich JORDAN HUGILL - ALL 15 GOALS 19/20 SEASON - YouTube

4. Lawrence Shankland from Dundee United (460) Lawrence Shankland | The Film | Season 2019/20 - YouTube

A couple of foreign strikers. This is just based on their goals record and clips on Youtube

1. Thomas Henry who plays for Belgian club OH Leuven in the Belgian First Division A (460) THOMAS HENRY | 15 Goals - YouTube

2. Mohamed Bayo who plays as a forward for Ligue 2 club Clermont Foot. Mohamed Bayo (Clermont Foot) 19/20 highlights - YouTube

Woodrow is a terrific striker in this league. 

Thomas Henry looks class

• Like 1