BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

If you are only going to comment accusing me of attacking the golden boy, then just don't bother, have heard it all before. Either engage on the facts, or don't waste everyone's time. 

So this is interesting. So "only" 30 shots more than the next player now. I think the stats here that back up what a lot of us have noticed are the lack of assists compared to other strikers on the list and also the goal conversion percentage. His shot accuracy is pretty good, but that doesn't equate to more goals from his many additional shots. I think it certainly debunks @chaddyroversassertion that he is a better finisher than Rhodes. If Rhodes had 106 shots in a season, with 60% hitting the target , he would score about 40 goals. I'm talking prime Rhodes here. 

Rank Name GoalsGL AssistsA PlayedP Goals per 90 Mins per GoalMPG Total Shots Goal Conversion Shot Accuracy
Ivan ToneyToney
BrentfordBrentford
27 9 35 0.81 111 81 33% 52%
Teemu PukkiPukki
Norwich CityNorwich
22 2 33 0.71 127 76 29% 63%
Adam ArmstrongArmstrong
Blackburn RoversBlackburn
19 3 33 0.60 150 106 18% 60%
Lucas JoãoLucas João
ReadingReading
18 7 31 0.62 146 62 29% 56%
Kieffer MooreMoore
Cardiff CityCardiff
16 1 33 0.53 170 77 21% 48%
André AyewA Ayew
Swansea CitySwansea
14 2 35 0.41 222 65 22% 52%

47 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If you are only going to comment accusing me of attacking the golden boy, then just don't bother, have heard it all before. Either engage on the facts, or don't waste everyone's time. 

So this is interesting. So "only" 30 shots more than the next player now. I think the stats here that back up what a lot of us have noticed are the lack of assists compared to other strikers on the list and also the goal conversion percentage. His shot accuracy is pretty good, but that doesn't equate to more goals from his many additional shots. I think it certainly debunks @chaddyroversassertion that he is a better finisher than Rhodes. If Rhodes had 106 shots in a season, with 60% hitting the target , he would score about 40 goals. I'm talking prime Rhodes here. 

Rank Name GoalsGL AssistsA PlayedP Goals per 90 Mins per GoalMPG Total Shots Goal Conversion Shot Accuracy
Ivan ToneyToney
BrentfordBrentford
27 9 35 0.81 111 81 33% 52%
Teemu PukkiPukki
Norwich CityNorwich
22 2 33 0.71 127 76 29% 63%
Adam ArmstrongArmstrong
Blackburn RoversBlackburn
19 3 33 0.60 150 106 18% 60%
Lucas JoãoLucas João
ReadingReading
18 7 31 0.62 146 62 29% 56%
Kieffer MooreMoore
Cardiff CityCardiff
16 1 33 0.53 170 77 21% 48%
André AyewA Ayew
Swansea CitySwansea
14 2 35 0.41 222 65 22% 52%

Your obsession with Armstrong when the supporting cast are so poor is totally bizarre. He isnt perfect, he isnt clinical and he might not be Premier League quality but he has scored loads in a poor side and without him, wed be in a relegation battle.

For what its worth, his unselfishness should have created a goal yesterday but for a tame shot by Rankin Costello from a good position after a poor first touch by him.  The fact that his goal record is so competitive with the best in the league and that is who is compared against says enough, even if he is inferior in whatever way. Do we compare Gallagher and Brereton against these or even the likes of Buendia, Sarr, Cantwell, Danjuma, Jed Wallace and Mbuemo, do we compare Rothwell and Holtby to Josh DaSilva, Lerma, Hourihane, Will Hughes, do we compare Lenihan and Ayala to Gibson, Hanley, Jansson, Pinnock, Morrison, I could go on? No because everywhere else, our players are so inferior to the top players in the league.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Your obsession with Armstrong when the supporting cast are so poor is totally bizarre. He isnt perfect, he isnt clinical and he might not be Premier League quality but he has scored loads in a poor side and without him, wed be in a relegation battle.

For what its worth, his unselfishness should have created a goal yesterday but for a tame shot by Rankin Costello from a good position after a poor first touch by him.  The fact that his goal record is so competitive with the best in the league and that is who is compared against says enough, even if he is inferior in whatever way. Do we compare Gallagher and Brereton against these or even the likes of Buendia, Sarr, Cantwell, Danjuma, Jed Wallace and Mbuemo, do we compare Rothwell and Holtby to Josh DaSilva, Lerma, Hourihane, Will Hughes, do we compare Lenihan and Ayala to Gibson, Hanley, Jansson, Pinnock, Morrison, I could go on? No because everywhere else, our players are so inferior to the top players in the league.

Obsessed? Stop talking s**te. He's our top scorer and one of our most saleable assets. Discussing him on a Rovers forum is hardly obsession. I don't need to look at stats for Brereton and Gallagher to point out what their issues are. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Obsessed? Stop talking s**te. He's our top scorer and one of our most saleable assets. Discussing him on a Rovers forum is hardly obsession. I don't need to look at stats for Brereton and Gallagher to point out what their issues are. 

You're absolutely obsessed. Hasn't been a post in this thread for 9 days, then up you pop out the blue with a massive post slagging him off again. We all get you think he takes too many shots and should pass more. I don't blame the bloke for not passing when he's got Gallagher or Brereton to aim for, both of which couldn't finish their tea.

Just for the record he frustrates me too at times, misses some simple chances, he ain't perfect by any means. But there's 99 other problems with this team, and a bloke who's bagged nearly 20 doesn't need slagging off every day.

• Like 1

Mowbray:

“It was together, I included the medical department who had their doubts whether he was ready.

“Ultimately, I was a player and you know your body better than anyone else, you know when you feel ready and Adam felt ready and wanted to play.

“Together, we took that decision, and said he’d get maximum 70 minutes and he came through it fine. He told me he felt leggy by then, so that wasn’t even a decision. It was a gamble to even play him, but it became a case of how to react to his fatigued body.”

I suspected as much. But what is wrong with this man. We've just lost the only other goalscorer in our squad. Why gamble on one game with the fitness of the only other player capable of hitting the back of the net and our only major sellable asset. Shows what he thinks about his other golden strikers he's spent so much on too. He got away with it but mans an idiot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kie_BRFC said:

You're absolutely obsessed. Hasn't been a post in this thread for 9 days, then up you pop out the blue with a massive post slagging him off again. We all get you think he takes too many shots and should pass more. I don't blame the bloke for not passing when he's got Gallagher or Brereton to aim for, both of which couldn't finish their tea.

Just for the record he frustrates me too at times, misses some simple chances, he ain't perfect by any means. But there's 99 other problems with this team, and a bloke who's bagged nearly 20 doesn't need slagging off every day.

How is it slagging him actually? What parts of what I pointed out aren't true? Are you his brother? Do you fancy him? I actually said in my post, don't respond with nonsense like you just went and did. 

Some cracking insults, sorry debate here.

Personally I do not care how many shots AA has he scores 20 goals a season and we need those 20 goals. Who knows if his accuracy improves, then he will score even more and leapfrog the others you compare him too. He is our player, our main goalscorer this season, regardless of his stats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How is it slagging him actually? What parts of what I pointed out aren't true? Are you his brother? Do you fancy him? I actually said in my post, don't respond with nonsense like you just went and did. 

Well if I'm his brother and I fancy him, then he must've slept with your Mrs. I'm not saying parts of it isn't true, just that it's boring to read you slate him every single day. We all know your opinions on the lad.

You say we've 'heard it all before', like we don't have to read you repeat the same points all the time. Boring.

• Backroom

It's nice that Armstrong has scored 19 goals this season but we're 15th, so whatever we're doing as a team isn't working irrespective of his personal stats. If we had a better manager at the helm I believe AA would score less but be more productive for the team overall, which is what we should be aiming for. He only scored 5 goals in 18/19 when we finished 15th, so I don't think his goal stats are the be all and end all of our hopes. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Kie_BRFC said:

Well if I'm his brother and I fancy him, then he must've slept with your Mrs. I'm not saying parts of it isn't true, just that it's boring to read you slate him every single day. We all know your opinions on the lad.

You say we've 'heard it all before', like we don't have to read you repeat the same points all the time. Boring.

You yourself said there were no posts here for 9 days about him. Anyway, you don't have to read it Einstein. Problem solved! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

4 hours ago, DE. said:

It's nice that Armstrong has scored 19 goals this season but we're 15th, so whatever we're doing as a team isn't working irrespective of his personal stats. If we had a better manager at the helm I believe AA would score less but be more productive for the team overall, which is what we should be aiming for. He only scored 5 goals in 18/19 when we finished 15th, so I don't think his goal stats are the be all and end all of our hopes. 

I dont necessarily think that he would need to score less to become more productive, in fact to an extent, his selfishness as a goalscorer should be embraced, since he has become less selfish he has become less effective. The problem is that even though his goal tally is competitive with the best strikers, the supporting cast are poor and dont contribute both due to tactical issues and simply a lack of quality. I dont think that aiming to dominate possession and the general way in which we play suits Armstrong, never mind anyone else.

The Armstrong that struggled from a wide position was a different player.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont necessarily think that he would need to score less to become more productive, in fact to an extent, his selfishness as a goalscorer should be embraced, since he has become less selfish he has become less effective. The problem is that even though his goal tally is competitive with the best strikers, the supporting cast are poor and dont contribute both due to tactical issues and simply a lack of quality. I dont think that aiming to dominate possession and the general way in which we play suits Armstrong, never mind anyone else.

The Armstrong that struggled from a wide position was a different player.

I very much disagree on embracing Armstrong's selfishness. I don't think we should be encouraging any one player to shoot as often as Armstrong does, nor should we accept the burden of goalscoring being placed on his shoulders. In order to spread that duty around we need a better team game and that includes AA. 

I do agree he has a poor supporting cast and our tactics/style of play are shit. New manager needed before that can be solved though. 

Personally I thought AA had some excellent performances out wide. His pace and cutting in could be lethal and gave defenders a headache. He also scored some absolute belters from outside the box. I think he could have been and still could be trained to be hugely effective out wide, although admittedly not by Mowbray and his coaching staff. Again, new manager and new coaches needed.

What I like about Arma is that he can add value out wide and down the middle, depending on what shape we need to play. He gives us flexibility and the ability to be dynamic during the match. All we need is a manager who can utilise that effectively.

35 minutes ago, DE. said:

I very much disagree on embracing Armstrong's selfishness. I don't think we should be encouraging any one player to shoot as often as Armstrong does, nor should we accept the burden of goalscoring being placed on his shoulders. In order to spread that duty around we need a better team game and that includes AA. 

I do agree he has a poor supporting cast and our tactics/style of play are shit. New manager needed before that can be solved though. 

Personally I thought AA had some excellent performances out wide. His pace and cutting in could be lethal and gave defenders a headache. He also scored some absolute belters from outside the box. I think he could have been and still could be trained to be hugely effective out wide, although admittedly not by Mowbray and his coaching staff. Again, new manager and new coaches needed.

What I like about Arma is that he can add value out wide and down the middle, depending on what shape we need to play. He gives us flexibility and the ability to be dynamic during the match. All we need is a manager who can utilise that effectively.

I think most of his belters came in the second half of last season when he was put in the middle. For the first 18 months of his permanent spell, he played wide and most wanted him dropped. The burden of goalscoring is placed on his shoulders because the supporting cast are so poor. His selfishness should of course be managed but a striker should have a selfish streak.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think most of his belters came in the second half of last season when he was put in the middle. For the first 18 months of his permanent spell, he played wide and most wanted him dropped. The burden of goalscoring is placed on his shoulders because the supporting cast are so poor. His selfishness should of course be managed but a striker should have a selfish streak.

To be honest I find it hard to put much effort into dissecting Armstrong, or any of our other players, so long as the manager remains in situ. Venky's aside he is the biggest problem the club has right now and eclipses any individual player's pros or cons insofar as our team's performances are concerned. 

Shields gazette reporting Newcastle are in for Armstrong at £16m. But the sell-on will be written off as part of the deal. Don't think we'll get a better offer than that to be honest(assuming it's true of course). 

Edited by Lucimo
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Shields gazette reporting Newcastle are in for Armstrong at £16m. But the sell-on will be written off as part of the deal. Don't think we'll get a better off than that to be honest(assuming it's true of course). 

If any truth to that then I doubt Newcastle have a figure as high as 40% that has been previously reported.

Surely must be 20% tops

3 minutes ago, Tugay-is-God said:

I don't think that a 40% sell on fee is that unrealistic, I'm sure we were desperate to keep the initial fee down when we signed him. 

Didn't we have a 50% of any profit clause that we had to pay Arsenal when we sold Bentley?

I actually think Bentley is potentially our record signing when you count everything we paid to Arsenal.

4 hours ago, Tugay-is-God said:

I don't think that a 40% sell on fee is that unrealistic, I'm sure we were desperate to keep the initial fee down when we signed him. 

I disagree, if we agreed to a 40% sell on then it's bad business in my opinion.

It wasn't like we were fighting off a host of clubs for his signature.Barring a brief spell when on loan at Barnsley he had done nothing at championship level.He had a very poor spell at Bolton before signing here.

Even after we bought him he was nothing special in league 1,only in the last 12 months his performance have gone up a level.

If the media story about Newcastle being in for him at 16 million is correct then the clause won't be 40% as no way is anyone paying more than 20 million for Adam Armstrong, especially with a year left on his deal.

And if the plan is to bring young players in to sell on at a profit when needed then it would be ridiculous to agree to 40%

6 hours ago, Lucimo said:

Shields gazette reporting Newcastle are in for Armstrong at £16m. But the sell-on will be written off as part of the deal. Don't think we'll get a better offer than that to be honest(assuming it's true of course). 

I could see them making a move if they go down and look to Arma to score the goals to get them back up. Not too sure if they stay up if they would make a move?

Haven't seen the article so not sure if it covers that.

46 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I disagree, if we agreed to a 40% sell on then it's bad business in my opinion.

It wasn't like we were fighting off a host of clubs for his signature.Barring a brief spell when on loan at Barnsley he had done nothing at championship level.He had a very poor spell at Bolton before signing here.

Even after we bought him he was nothing special in league 1,only in the last 12 months his performance have gone up a level.

If the media story about Newcastle being in for him at 16 million is correct then the clause won't be 40% as no way is anyone paying more than 20 million for Adam Armstrong, especially with a year left on his deal.

And if the plan is to bring young players in to sell on at a profit when needed then it would be ridiculous to agree to 40%

Wont it 40% of profit made on the 3 million pounds fee we paid. So that's 13 million pounds profit. So Rovers would get 7.8 million pounds plus 3 mil pounds we paid. Reinvest that properly in the right signings and we should be top 6

Not a chance Mike Ashley is going to pay £16 million for a player he let go for 10% of that 3 years ago.

Too many variables for Newcastle to be looking at transfers this early or preparing bids.

Ashley is still trying to sell to the Saudis and if that happens they'll be after Mbappe rather than Armstrong. It also means funds will be tight whilst Ashley remains.

Bruce is hated and will be lucky to survive the season. 

They could be in either division next season and that will determine their targets and transfer pot.

Got to hand it to them though. Someone in Rovers or Armstrong's camp are earning their wages with this one. Can guess what Nixon's Sunday column is going to be about.