BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

Just now, Stuart said:

Armstrong’s strength was/is as a wide man with an eye for goal, who should have been lining up chances for others. Duff was 10 times the player Armstrong will ever be but wasn’t converted to a centre forward.

We'll agree to disagree because frankly that's just nonsense. Duff was a winger, AA is a striker...and a very good one hence the apparent interest from teams in the hunt for Champs League places. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

We'll agree to disagree because frankly that's just nonsense. Duff was a winger, AA is a striker...and a very good one hence the apparent interest from teams in the hunt for Champs League places. 

I will be astonished (and delighted) if we sell him to a Champions League side.

Or are you just talking about Everton?

I was trying to keep it civil but frankly your suggestion that only Armstrong can score goals is what’s nonsense.

5 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Is it just me or has Armstrong never looked happy here?....seems a moody character.

Rarely seems to give interviews or offer much interaction with the fans.

The worrying thing is, he doesn't have much interaction with his team-mates.

Here's a hypothetical scenario.

We get through to the last fortnight of the summer transfer window and Adam Armstrong is still a Rovers player. I suspect this is quite likely as any serious bids will likely be late and last minute. These sort of deals always happen late on.

By that point even if we get big money for him it is going to be very difficult to replace him.

Assume our summer budget is meagre otherwise.

We get off to a poor start (as usual) and have a weak looking squad with the chuckle brothers as our only other attacking options.

Whatever bids we get for Armstrong aren't at the level hoped or Venkys expected. Lets say £8 million rather than the £18 million they might have hoped for. Knock off Newcastle's cut and we're down to about £4 million profit on him.

Poor business whichever way you want to dress it for a lad who has most boxes ticked - good scoring record, pace, age on his side, English

Do we get shut at that price to recoup a few million, knowing he could walk on a free the following summer, but in doing so put our Championship status in doubt?

Or do we decide that the costs of relegation to League One outweigh what money we might make on Armstrong and that we are going to prioritise survival by keeping him for the last 12 months to give us the best chance of staying in the Championship?

Relegation to League One would cost the club more than they will get for Armstrong. I am sure of that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Here's a hypothetical scenario.

We get through to the last fortnight of the summer transfer window and Adam Armstrong is still a Rovers player. I suspect this is quite likely as any serious bids will likely be late and last minute. These sort of deals always happen late on.

By that point even if we get big money for him it is going to be very difficult to replace him.

Assume our summer budget is meagre otherwise.

We get off to a poor start (as usual) and have a weak looking squad with the chuckle brothers as our only other attacking options.

Whatever bids we get for Armstrong aren't at the level hoped or Venkys expected. Lets say £8 million rather than the £18 million they might have hoped for. Knock off Newcastle's cut and we're down to about £4 million profit on him.

Poor business whichever way you want to dress it for a lad who has most boxes ticked - good scoring record, pace, age on his side, English

Do we get shut at that price to recoup a few million, knowing he could walk on a free the following summer, but in doing so put our Championship status in doubt?

Or do we decide that the costs of relegation to League One outweigh what money we might make on Armstrong and that we are going to prioritise survival by keeping him for the last 12 months to give us the best chance of staying in the Championship?

Relegation to League One would cost the club more than they will get for Armstrong. I am sure of that.

Too hypothetical for me - I reckon we could sell him tomorrow for 10 million if the window was open and that was our price. Can't envision a scenario, major injury aside, in which we only get 8.

How many of the below you seen live? Just AS and SG for me...

“It means so much to score so many goals for this great club" - News - Blackburn Rovers

Rovers' top 10 league goalscorers can be found below:

1. Simon Garner - 168
2. Tommy Briggs - 140
3. Ted Harper - 121
4. Alan Shearer - 112
5. Jack Bruton - 108
6. Bryan Douglas - 101
7. Jack Southworth - 97
8. Eddie Latheron - 94
9. Eddie Quigley - 92
10. Andy McEvoy - 89

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

“It means so much to score so many goals for this great club" - News - Blackburn Rovers

1. Simon Garner - 168
2. Tommy Briggs - 140
3. Ted Harper - 121
4. Alan Shearer - 112
5. Jack Bruton - 108
6. Bryan Douglas - 101
7. Jack Southworth - 97
8. Eddie Latheron - 94
9. Eddie Quigley - 92
10. Andy McEvoy - 89

Same for me, though I was coached by Eddie Quigley while a schoolboy.

Not sure how these numbers compare to other clubs but I would have expected more players to have scored 100+ goals for the club given our long history. I was surprised to find that 90 goals would put you in the top ten of all time.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

1. Simon Garner - 168
2. Tommy Briggs - 140
3. Ted Harper - 121
4. Alan Shearer - 112
5. Jack Bruton - 108
6. Bryan Douglas - 101
7. Jack Southworth - 97
8. Eddie Latheron - 94
9. Eddie Quigley - 92
10. Andy McEvoy - 89

Garner, Shearer, Douglas and McEvoy

5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Same for me, though I was coached by Eddie Quigley while a schoolboy.

Not sure how these numbers compare to other clubs but I would have expected more players to have scored 100+ goals for the club given our long history. I was surprised to find that 90 goals would put you in the top ten of all time.

Just a guess but maybe in times gone by goals were shared around the team.

Remember when Rovers CBs and FBs scored goals.

• Like 4

On 11/04/2021 at 12:13, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

"Apparent interest" 

No doubt if it suited you ,you would be pointing out that it's just gossip and rumour 

Time will tell where he ends up and how much he will leave for. Would be a good signing. I think he has plenty of developing still to do. Can't see him walking in and starting in a team "in the hunt" for CL places 

On 11/04/2021 at 13:45, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Is it just me or has Armstrong never looked happy here?....seems a moody character.

Rarely seems to give interviews or offer much interaction with the fans.

Agreed. His body language and demeanour on the field strikes me as the same. Once he's scoring though, who cares. 

It's a tricky one cos in a way Mowbray has made him, but in many ways he's also holding him back and not helping him. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Congratulations Adam

It'll be especially irritating if we get a crap fee for him now. Buendia didn't win this, Toney didn't win this.

Buendia just moved for 33 million, same age as Arma and doesn't carry the English premium. Toney moved to a Championship club (bigger risk for them than a Prem team) for 10 million at 24, same age as Arma now, when he had only played at League One level.

If we end up selling him for 10-15 million, which is looking increasingly likely, we have really done ourselves by letting this contract run down. And that's before Newcastle take a huge chunk of it.

Hopefully this award adds a couple of million or so to his market value.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bluebruce said:

It'll be especially irritating if we get a crap fee for him now. Buendia didn't win this, Toney didn't win this.

Buendia just moved for 33 million, same age as Arma and doesn't carry the English premium. Toney moved to a Championship club (bigger risk for them than a Prem team) for 10 million at 24, same age as Arma now, when he had only played at League One level.

If we end up selling him for 10-15 million, which is looking increasingly likely, we have really done ourselves by letting this contract run down. And that's before Newcastle take a huge chunk of it.

Hopefully this award adds a couple of million or so to his market value.

Unless Newcastle re-sign him and offer us 15 million pounds and Newcastle wave take their cut from that. Bruce has been given 50 million pounds supposedly this summer for his budget. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Unless Newcastle re-sign him and offer us 15 million pounds and Newcastle wave take their cut from that. Bruce has been given 50 million pounds supposedly this summer for his budget. 

The thing is 50 Million pounds spent on transfers would not make Newcastle challengers for the premier league. It is a lot of money, but nowhere near enough. So why give Bruce the money.