BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I suspect that he is at the top of our wage structure coming from Newcastle and it hardly sounds as if we could offer much if anything in the way of a rise.

Its hardly as if we rescued him from the scrapheap, we loaned a young player who made a big contribution in our promotion and has scored plenty of goals at this level for us.

Its a short career, you cant expect blind loyalty from a player when he can see that we arent going anywhere fast when he could get a big move to play at a higher level on a higher wage. Ambition is the order of the day for a player/person in that situation.

It was in the LT when we signed him he was taking a pay cut to come but we were giving him 4 years on c15k pwk to smooth the way.

We got him on a good deal at the time so it's no wonder there was a few clauses inserted. Can't really blame anyone for that it was a good deal really getting him through the door for an initial 1.75.

It'll be difficult to top those wages for Rovers now but quite easy for a lot of other clubs. Even if he ends up somewhere not very glamorous.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its 40% after the 3 million fee we paid I imagine. So if we were offer 15 million and accept it, Newcastle would get 4.8 million and we would have 10.2 million to buy a replacement and improve the squad. #

If Yates is the one Mowbray and Rovers recruitment staff has recommend as a replacement for Armstrong then fair enough. I haven't seen enough of him to comment on the player. Only seen the playoff final which he played in

I would think that Armstrong, Gallagher and Dack are our 3 biggest wage earners at the club. 

Well we did recuse him from a awful spell at Bolton where he wasn't played properly and we signed him and he helps us to promotion and then kick on the last season and half when he was moved up front and scored goals for fun. 

Off the clubs that are rumours to be interested which one would you say would get the best out of Armstrong? (Southampton, Fulham, West Ham, Norwich, Everton have been linked)

Come on, even you know that money would not be reinvested into the squad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rigger said:

Money and the allure of London. Someone better than Mowbray

Is London such a big attraction these days?.

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would there be no point in moving? Fulham are just coming down with a far superior squad and presumably with a big chance of promotion. We are going backwards as shown in our league position and closer to the bottom than the top.

Why move to another Championship club when he got the chance of PL club. Think Southampton or Brighton or Norwich would be idea club for him. 

On Fulham, we have no idea who the manager or whether most of the squad will be there. Already seen Cairney and Adarabioyo linked with moves away. 

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Come on, even you know that money would not be reinvested into the squad.

A replacement for Armstrong is a must. Yates seems to be the one they want. 

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why move to another Championship club when he got the chance of PL club. Think Southampton or Brighton or Norwich would be idea club for him. 

On Fulham, we have no idea who the manager or whether most of the squad will be there. Already seen Cairney and Adarabioyo linked with moves away. 

No bids have come in yet, but even if it was only Fulham coming in for him - he would be bonkers not to go. Same division yes, but with a stronger chance of promotion, a signing on fee, and better wages. 

Plus, who knows if if will have another chance - would he get the same or close to the same amount of goals for us this season? He, like the team, started on fire as flat track bullies and he had something like 12 goals before the season even really got going. Then we got figured out and eventually went on the worst run in the clubs history (at least my history). Two hat tricks in the last couple of dead rubbers allowed him to buff his tally.

I hope he does, but if he stays, he wont be getting 20+ this coming season with us. 15 tops i reckon.  

25 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

hope he does, but if he stays, he wont be getting 20+ this coming season with us. 15 tops i reckon.  

He takes the penalties remember, that's a big boost. Or would be if he scored them!

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The question that was asked by you,was which club of the ones that were listed in the previous post would AA do best at. Yes London is a big attraction if you have money.

Edited by rigger

Yates is a bit of a lazy link for me and a lazy and unimaginative move if we make it. His record isn't great, prior to last season. Did he play in a different position or something? As in not upfront? He's the same age as Armstrong. 

Now maybe he's more of a team player, which would be good, but it's a huge amount of goals to replace. It's not even about Yates ,or whoever we sign. We are going to need Gallagher and Brereton to contribute at least 25 goals between them next season. Hard to see. 

Those who have watched a lot of Yates. How does his style compare to Armstrong's? He's obviously not as quick anyway 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

A replacement for Armstrong is a must. Yates seems to be the one they want

We also need money by the looks to stave off FFP.

If we get £10m for Arma it won't all be reinvested in the squad. 

Free transfers and less than £500k signings is where we will be looking this summer, even with an Arma sale.

57 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Those who have watched a lot of Yates. How does his style compare to Armstrong's? He's obviously not as quick anyway 

He is the exact opposite.  Likes to play with his back to goal.  He doesn't have the acceleration or top speed to be a real good player....more of a box forward.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He is the exact opposite.  Likes to play with his back to goal.  He doesn't have the acceleration or top speed to be a real good player....more of a box forward.

Strikes me as a one season wonder who you could get your pants pulled down on if you get in for too high a fee on. If we are talking 3-5 million, I would like to see someone brought in from abroad. More value. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yates is a bit of a lazy link for me and a lazy and unimaginative move if we make it. His record isn't great, prior to last season. Did he play in a different position or something? As in not upfront? He's the same age as Armstrong. 

Now maybe he's more of a team player, which would be good, but it's a huge amount of goals to replace. It's not even about Yates ,or whoever we sign. We are going to need Gallagher and Brereton to contribute at least 25 goals between them next season. Hard to see. 

I havent seen him a lot but saw him in the 3 play off games and also a couple of times during the season and he was pretty good. He didnt score when I watched but I was impressed with the way he led the line, showed intelligence in linking things and holding up the play. Lacks Armstrongs' blistering pace though and despite an impressive goal tally, got less goals in a lesser league.

At the end of the day though, we arent going to find an alternative as good as Armstrong, or indeed as prolific. 28 goals (the most without penalties) in the league was remarkable and even if we had 5m/10m to spend, could we get a striker to score that many goals? No chance. Thats why with the same manager, its hard to add them up and end up with us improving.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I havent seen him a lot but saw him in the 3 play off games and also a couple of times during the season and he was pretty good. He didnt score when I watched but I was impressed with the way he led the line, showed intelligence in linking things and holding up the play. Lacks Armstrongs' blistering pace though and despite an impressive goal tally, got less goals in a lesser league.

At the end of the day though, we arent going to find an alternative as good as Armstrong, or indeed as prolific. 28 goals (the most without penalties) in the league was remarkable and even if we had 5m/10m to spend, could we get a striker to score that many goals? No chance. Thats why with the same manager, its hard to add them up and end up with us improving.

Another manager could get a different type of player in and improve results. Last season was a great one for Armstrong, not for the team. 

Unfortunately, we are stuck with Mediocre Mowbray 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Another manager could get a different type of player in and improve results. Last season was a great one for Armstrong, not for the team. 

It wasnt a great one for the team but it would have been even worse if Armstrong wasnt here.

With not many goals in the squad otherwise and further saddled by "mediocre Mowbray" as you say, looks bleak sadly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It wasnt a great one for the team but it would have been even worse if Armstrong wasnt here.

With not many goals in the squad otherwise and further saddled by "mediocre Mowbray" as you say, looks bleak sadly.

Debatable. The stats perhaps tell a different story, but let's not go there. He had a great season and I think he will score goals wherever he goes. I just hope we get a decent price for him. 

6 hours ago, rigger said:

Yes London is a big attraction if you have money.

Maybe to foreign players but I'm unsure for English players. I wouldn't want to live there. I prefer the coast to be honest. Doesn't Armstrong live in Lytham currently?

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yates is a bit of a lazy link for me and a lazy and unimaginative move if we make it. 

why a lazy link? we have been linked to him for the past 6 months so there is some Rovers interested in him

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Strikes me as a one season wonder who you could get your pants pulled down on if you get in for too high a fee on. If we are talking 3-5 million, I would like to see someone brought in from abroad. More value. 

I don't know how much Yates would cost but you would hope and I think that Rovers and Mowbray should have be planning for Armstrong exit so should have a shortlist of replacements ready. 

any Players signing must meet UK work permit rules. They are players out there we should be looking at overseas. 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We need a striker that can play the lone front role and Yates from 1 game which was the Playoffs final looks like he can do that. Roversfan99's opinion on Yates and the way he plays the role is correct from what I have watched and read.  

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe to foreign players but I'm unsure for English players. I wouldn't want to live there. I prefer the coast to be honest. Doesn't Armstrong live in Lytham currently?

Sigh.

Just because you don't want to live there, it doesn't mean young lads who earn millions don't. London is a big attraction to young lads with money.

• Like 9

• Backroom
10 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Such a ridiculous statement. Based on what? We have spent more then we have received over the last few years.

Exactly, and now we've no option but to save recouped money because of FFP. Hence it won't be 'reinvested'.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Exactly, and now we've no option but to save recouped money because of FFP. Hence it won't be 'reinvested'.

Well that's certainly what Venkys and their cohorts would like us to believe.

Of course the alternative is that they are just in cutback mode and FFP provides an all too convenient cover story to do it quickly and substantially without criticism directed towards those at Ewood.

Also provides Mowbray with his excuse for the next 12 months.

• Like 1

• Backroom
57 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Well that's certainly what Venkys and their cohorts would like us to believe.

Of course the alternative is that they are just in cutback mode and FFP provides an all too convenient cover story to do it quickly and substantially without criticism directed towards those at Ewood.

Also provides Mowbray with his excuse for the next 12 months.

In fairness, I do think it's a genuine excuse, albeit because of rank mismanagement at all levels.

We're not in an embargo yet officially but reckon we will be by July.

On 20/06/2021 at 00:14, Wood26 said:

Such a ridiculous statement. Based on what? We have spent more then we have received over the last few years.

Only because Dack got injured when the West Brom move was in the pipeline.

His fee was invested upfront Mowbray all but admitted as much in one interview floating about back then.