BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

On 23/08/2021 at 20:40, dallydally said:

Shocking miss against Man Ure yesterday. More like a Jason Roberts bit of finishing!

Unbelievably JR gave a one v one finishing masterclass on bbc sport. Here’s the proof……..unfortunately the video doesn’t show on mine but the headlines are still there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/skills/7297204.stm

• Like 1

On 19/09/2021 at 18:37, bluebruce said:

Interesting ,but possibly misleading , top speed is one thing, but it's that pace over the first few yards that's the difference maker. Armstrong is actually probably near the top on that list too, but some of those guys like Traore it takes a bit of time to hit top speed 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Interesting ,but possibly misleading , top speed is one thing, but it's that pace over the first few yards that's the difference maker. Armstrong is actually probably near the top on that list too, but some of those guys like Traore it takes a bit of time to hit top speed 

Point though is he is indeed Premier League fast.

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

There’s fast and then there’s quick. IE fast is first in a 50 yards race and quick is first in a 10 or 15 yards sprint. It’s nice to be both fast and quick  but for a goal scorer quick is vital.

• Like 1

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I like to see players who have  left us on good terms doing well in their careers.Don't you?

Yeah, agree.

Was pleased to see the likes of Friedel and Duff do well after they left.

And also enjoyed Samba and Bentley disappear in the wilderness after both acted like tits at the end. (I've learnt I seem to be in the minority with CS, but I could never forgive him for downing tools in the relegation season regardless of Kean or Venkys)

3 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

Wasn’t Malgoire fastest in Europe at one point? Sounds good, but meh.

Recorded a track speed in training (100m I think) faster than Mbappe's best time. I don't think the whole of Europe was mentioned but maybe. Armstrong's speed is taken from a game.

Mbappe is clearly quick too though, wouldn't you agree? So I'm not sure what you're suggesting. That speed isn't the same as quality? I would agree. But my point is literally just that some people used to say Arma wasn't Premier League fast, and he quite blatantly is, which this backs up empirically.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Why are people so interested in the future, of a player that has left us.

Since you clicked open the thread, which is clearly titled with the name of said player, perhaps you could answer that for us?

(We do have a sell on clause on him btw, so his future does have relevance for us)

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Recorded a track speed in training (100m I think) faster than Mbappe's best time. I don't think the whole of Europe was mentioned but maybe. Armstrong's speed is taken from a game.

Mbappe is clearly quick too though, wouldn't you agree? So I'm not sure what you're suggesting. That speed isn't the same as quality? I would agree. But my point is literally just that some people used to say Arma wasn't Premier League fast, and he quite blatantly is, which this backs up empirically.

Im with you on Armstrong, I was a big backer of his when he was on wing and people called for him to be dropped. His pace is a weapon, even when he was poor for us outside, just him being there made opposition think twice.

It’s almost ironic that, the style of football we are playing this season, he would be the missing piece. But the possession football we played last year, albeit he scored 29 goals, wasn’t as suited.

Or maybe im wrong cos that goal return is huge, but I feel the way we play now he would flourish.

Edited by Wood26
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Silas said:

Yeah, agree.

Was pleased to see the likes of Friedel and Duff do well after they left.

And also enjoyed Samba and Bentley disappear in the wilderness after both acted like tits at the end. (I've learnt I seem to be in the minority with CS, but I could never forgive him for downing tools in the relegation season regardless of Kean or Venkys)

Samba was waving his willy at Arsenal for a solid year before he left. If I'm remembering it rightly he even took a new contract then continued to agitate for a move not long later. He then didn't even go to a big club like Arsenal who could further his career, but pissed off to Russia for more money (and racist abuse, sadly). Then came back here not long later to play for QPR, a club who were in a similar position to us when he left and also got relegated. Loved him for us, absolute colossus, but the way he went about a move does leave a bit of a sour taste.

Bentley showed up pissed on holiday on Sky News to say he wanted out. It was embarrassing for player and club. It was annoying (but not his fault) that as soon as he went off to Spurs he was suddenly in the England team. He was also shite when he came back. I did feel an element of 'ha ha' about how things worked out for him. At least he admitted after retiring that leaving us when he did was a mistake.

• Like 3

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It was annoying (but not his fault) that as soon as he went off to Spurs he was suddenly in the England team. 

Tbf, he got his first cap when still with us. September 2007.

I only remember that cos had a weekend in London for my 30th, and was at the match.

Was chuffed to clap one of ours onto the pitch in a white shirt, and then the bloody stadium booed him! (Well, a loud minority did.)

They were angry he'd refused to play for England U21 that summer.

Always thought it was rough. I get the sentiment, you should be proud to play for your Country at any level, but to boo a young player coming on for his first ever cap didn't sit right with me.

29 minutes ago, Silas said:

Tbf, he got his first cap when still with us. September 2007.

I only remember that cos had a weekend in London for my 30th, and was at the match.

Was chuffed to clap one of ours onto the pitch in a white shirt, and then the bloody stadium booed him! (Well, a loud minority did.)

They were angry he'd refused to play for England U21 that summer.

Always thought it was rough. I get the sentiment, you should be proud to play for your Country at any level, but to boo a young player coming on for his first ever cap didn't sit right with me.

Aye I knew his England debut was whilst with us, but I thought he only played a couple of games for them whilst ours and the bulk whilst at Spurs. But a bit of googling seems to suggest I'm wrong, that he played 6 times for England whilst ours and only once at Spurs.

My memory playing tricks on me on this one. I think I know why but it would take longer to explain than it's worth. I remember him being booed for that...believe he was 22 about to turn 23 at the time he refused to play for the u21s too (well, dropped out citing fatigue according to wiki). He was only eligible because he had played in the qualifiers for that tournament I think. So it would have been a bit silly him being in it really. Especially since he was now in the full setup at times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On reflection. Decent bit of business. He’s not setting the world alight in the PL. We weren’t going to mount any sort of promotion charge this season with the clown in charge,  so may as well get some cash to keep the lights on.

Looking at some Southampton forums, he’s starting to cop a fair bit of stick, mostly along the lines of “good Championship player, not cut out for Premier League”

• Backroom
On 24/09/2021 at 00:04, Wood26 said:

Wasn’t Malgoire fastest in Europe at one point? Sounds good, but meh.

Remember Devarn Green?

He once arrived here as a youth from non league with some ridiculous sounding speed record

He dropped off the radar but noticed he’s at Scunthorpe now 

39 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

On reflection. Decent bit of business. He’s not setting the world alight in the PL. We weren’t going to mount any sort of promotion charge this season with the clown in charge,  so may as well get some cash to keep the lights on.

Looking at some Southampton forums, he’s starting to cop a fair bit of stick, mostly along the lines of “good Championship player, not cut out for Premier League”

TBF you could make that comment about most of Southampton's team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

Did anyone ever say it wasn’t good business? We had to sell. The Raya sale was bad business, Armstrong’s sale was inevitable.

Although we could have got more if the contract situation had been different, we cashed out at the right time with Armstrong I think. Not surprised that he’s struggled to initially adapt to the PL but it’s early days. Might go the same way as Che Adams. Ivan Toney always looked like he was more likely to make an impression given his attributes.

I haven't seen much of them but my guess is that Saints have the same problem as Norwich. The standard of the league is incredibly high at the moment. I don't follow the Premier League that closely but my sense is that this might be peak Prem, given the influx of money and players and the relative declines of foreign leagues. Even Newcastle are not going down without a fight, led by Saint Maximin.

Any other season, I think Norwich and Southampton would be doing quite well but not now and it will probably take a shift in style, towards more direct football to save themselves. I think Armstrong will get goals eventually. He's got all the attributes and a manager that seems to understand that he plays best through the middle.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...