BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

19 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

An injury list with more snapped hamstrings than Hendrix has snapped guitar strings, achilles problems and snapped tendons suggests he's not the most athletic player in the industry.

15 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Tyrone the man is simply not fit enough to play in central midfield anymore. Natural progression for older central players is to drop into the back 4. The beauty of it is they have learnt to read the game at a much faster pace so the vision that you get with being a centre half usually creates a very good ball playing defender. Injuries have just accelerated Rodwell's change of position

I get what you're saying but if we are signing Rodwell with the aim of converting him into a centre back, i'd be even more disappointed in his signing.

Why not just sign a centre back instead of this utter wastrel?

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Being athletic and getting injured are separate things. By athletic I mean big, strong and quick. 

But he's not strong or quick.

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I get what you're saying but if we are signing Rodwell with the aim of converting him into a centre back, i'd be even more disappointed in his signing.

I assume we will be signing a centre half too. I think Rodwell is a "punt" by all accounts. Doubt he'll play many games

21 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I'm surprised Rovers weren't interested in Sims on loan from Southampton - ended up at Reading - but looks like the sort of player we need out wide.

Yeah would have been a decent option. 

My hope is that the attacking players that do come in will be loan to buys hence us not targetting young prem players just available on loan 

Think who, and if, someone comes in after reed and Rodwell will be the defining transfer of this window. The squad is threadbare which can be seen by looking at the bench from last night.

Positives from these though is that no one knew anything about Rodwell or Reed before Mowbray mentioned them. Why were they not leaked?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Travis would benefit from starting every game in league 1 compare some game time here from bench plus cup games. 

You've been saying all summer you think Travis is good enough for the first team and should be given a chance? Don't change your tune just because he's now more than likely being loaned out. If you disagree with that decision and feel as though he should be playing/challenging for a starting berth then say that. You don't have too agree with everything the club does Chris mate.

Edited by Butty
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

You're not converting him into a centre back. It's not like he hasn't played there before. 

Asking a Sunderland fan about Rodwell is probably not going to give you a fair idea, since they’ve just been relegated twice in a row, and he’s never played in a game they’ve won.

That said, as 3rd CB cover with Downing/Williams and backup to let Tomlinson/Travis go out on loan for the two DMs - Decent addition for me unless the contract/wages are too long/high.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Exactly. Why not indeed? 

Even more galling that one of our own promising young lads (Wharton)  has been loaned out to potentially make way for a joker like Rodwell.

Guess we Didn't learn much from the experience of bringing in Wes Brown on loan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I sort of agree with your second paragraph but you also had the danger of desperate clubs coming in just before the March deadline to sign your best players. I E Hull taking Ken Knighton off us to ensure our relegation in the old days.

True, but under the present system we wouldn't have survived in 71-72 if Furphy hadn't been able to make drastic changes and the same could be said for Kenny in 1991-92.  Clubs can always say no if someone comes in for their best players.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Exactly. Why not indeed? 

Even more galling that one of our own promising young lads (Wharton)  has been loaned out to potentially make way for a joker like Rodwell.

Guess we Didn't learn much from the experience of bringing in Wes Brown on loan.

Rodwell is 27, Brown was what, mid 30"s?

20 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

But he's not strong or quick.

I assume we will be signing a centre half too. I think Rodwell is a "punt" by all accounts. Doubt he'll play many games

Makes signing him even more pointless.

Finances are tight and we can't keep filling the squad with freeloaders who will contribute jack sh*t.

Caddis and Whitts are already taking up wages for nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Exactly. Why not indeed? 

Wharton has been loaned out to get experience Rev.  To learn and make the mistakes in League One rather than with us in the Championship.  At present he wouldn't make the first team so would be in the Under-23's - and he has nothing to learn at that level - or sat on the bench not playing.  I disagree with your point on Brown.  Both Wharton and Platt improved tremendously, as did a number of younger players by playing alongside Brown in the Under-23's as he guided them through the game.  It was an invaluable experience for our youngsters.

• Like 3

If Rodwell is a cheap one year deal then with the club holding an option for a second then it would be a relatively cheap gamble that is worth taking. If we could get him back to anything near the player he was 6-7 years ago then we would have a top Championship player, if he doesn't work out then release him at the end of the season and it won't have cost us much.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 3