BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

21 minutes ago, Biz said:

1. You speak as if the Rao family is actually managing the club day to day: No proof, all wind points in a different direction.

2. You have no idea who or what offers Rodwell, Reed or anyone else for that matter has had - so no proof to say “nobody else wants”.

Makes no sense in the real world. End of

1. They are the ones bankrolling the club. At no point did I suggest it was fact, merely speculating. It wouldn’t be the first time a manager has been promised funds, only for the plug to be pulled

2. Rodwell was on trial at Watford, they released him. Mowbray has already confirmed it would be a cheap deal. He said as much last night. If there is a cheap deal to be done,  why is he still available? 

4 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

On Smallwood - every time I see him play it reinforces my belief that, sadly, he isn't what we need at this level. I think Mowbray's starting to come around to this point of view too...

I think it's a horses for courses one with him. He might not be the answer to TM's long term vision of how he wants us to play but I think there will be games or moments within games where we'll be saying "could have done with a Smallwood type in there". 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

There's no comparison whatsoever between those two and Rodwell. Both were substantial permanent deals not cheap short term pay as you play type arrangements.

The only slight similarity is that Bellamy had had a chequered injury record but he was still a top player at the time and highly sought after. We had to pay a big fee for him at the time by our standards.

Jeffers is actually the perfect comparison. A history of injuries and a cheap short term loan option. Predictably an absolute waste of time and money.

You make some good points but are a bit off with the Bellamy situation. He was not highly sought-after until he had played for us - he had basically been kicked out of Newcastle and was on loan at Celtic when we bought him. He was shipped off to Celtic after the below happened for a season before we came in for him. He apparently shunned a move to Brum to go to Celtic - not what I would call highly sought-after.

"Before the match against Arsenal, Souness said that Bellamy had been left out due to a hamstring problem, but contradicted himself in a post-match interview, claiming that Bellamy was benched for being unwilling to play as a right-sided midfielder.[26] Minutes later, Bellamy gave an interview saying he was prepared to play in any position for his club. However, with his Newcastle career hanging in the balance, he later admitted that he had threatened to fake injury ahead of the Arsenal match, though in a later interview accused Souness of lying about him and his commitment to the club.[27]

Souness responded by stating that Bellamy would never play in a Newcastle United shirt again while he was manager and consequently the club fined Bellamy two weeks' wages (about £80,000). Bellamy's last goal for the club came in a UEFA Cup group stage match against Sporting CP in December, in a 1–1 draw at St. James Park, his 10th goal for Newcastle that season. Bellamy ended his Newcastle career with a total of 42 goals from 128 appearances.[28]

Bellamy made himself further unwelcome at St James' Park when some abusive text messages were allegedly sent from his phone to club captain Alan Shearer after Newcastle's FA Cup semi-final defeat by Manchester United in April 2005, while the player was still on-loan to Celtic for the remainder of that season. At the time, Bellamy was with the Celtic squad in Ireland for Jackie McNamara's testimonial golf day. Bellamy's agent insisted his mobile had been lost at the time and that he was not responsible for the texts.[citation needed] Kenneth Shepherd, son of Newcastle chairman Freddy, also claimed he received gloating text messages. Shearer was alleged to have threatened to "knock his block off" should the player have returned to Newcastle United."[29]

14 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

On Smallwood - every time I see him play it reinforces my belief that, sadly, he isn't what we need at this level. I think Mowbray's starting to come around to this point of view too...

Tend to agree with Neal on this. Not sure how Smallwood and Evans have flipfiopped between being public enemy number one and the greatest midfielder in the history of the world in such a small space of time.

Irrespective of that though the squad is horrendously imbalanced. Even without Rodwell/Trapp/anyone else I think I worked out the other week we have around 13 players for the midfield berths whereas we are particularly short up front, in the wide positions and at CB.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Biz said:

1. You speak as if the Rao family is actually managing the club day to day: No proof, all wind points in a different direction.

2. You have no idea who or what offers Rodwell, Reed or anyone else for that matter has had - so no proof to say “nobody else wants”.

Makes no sense in the real world. End of

Well given Rodwell has been a free agent from the end of June we can probably assume he isn't anyone's top pick.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Valois said:

1. They are the ones bankrolling the club. At no point did I suggest it was fact, merely speculating. It wouldn’t be the first time a manager has been promised funds, only for the plug to be pulled

2. Rodwell was on trial at Watford, they released him. Mowbray has already confirmed it would be a cheap deal. He said as much last night. If there is a cheap deal to be done,  why is he still available? 

These are pointless, groundless and boring discussions.

The budget (or as TM said) was agreed pre summer like last year. Any speculation otherwise based on a nonsensical “venky” story is about as useful or interesting as having cramp.

Released from an unbeaten premier league team... therefore anyone else in football should just bin him off... again, pointless, confusing, nonsensical etc.

I can accept that people are welcome to their own opinions, but I struggle to accept made up speculation that follows nothing but some sort of “pub” style cathartic moaning competition.

Just now, Biz said:

And wages.

We wont really know though with those - we just have to hope that TM is right that this will be a cheap deal for us. Considering he already said he didnt want players coming in on anything bigger than our top players, I would hope the deal is structured in such a way that he gets average wages for a seasons contract with the option for another on some a little better should he prove worth it.

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Tend to agree with Neal on this. Not sure how Smallwood and Evans have flipfiopped between being public enemy number one and the greatest midfielder in the history of the world in such a small space of time.

Irrespective of that though the squad is horrendously imbalanced. Even without Rodwell/Trapp/anyone else I think I worked out the other week we have around 13 players for the midfield berths whereas we are particularly short up front, in the wide positions and at CB.

Smallwood is effective at breaking up play - like Mokoena.  He won't offer anything else though.  I appreciate the guy and think he is well worth a place in the squad this year.  Certainly a good option to come off the bench if we want to see out a game or are running out of steam.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Well given Rodwell has been a free agent from the end of June we can probably assume he isn't anyone's top pick.

Doesn’t mean he’s void of offers. 

Just now, JacknOry said:

We wont really know though with those - we just have to hope that TM is right that this will be a cheap deal for us. Considering he already said he didnt want players coming in on anything bigger than our top players, I would hope the deal is structured in such a way that he gets average wages for a seasons contract with the option for another on some a little better should he prove worth it.

Yea, I’d guess this deal only happens on a short term deal with reasonable wages. 

If you remember, all the prem freebies we got under Kean had published wages! 

At this point, if Sam Hart gets on the bench after only 2 injuries to the squad i wouldn’t be adverse to Roy Cropper getting a run out (just not Anichebe).

If the Rodwell deal is a year with options of further or something similar he might be a good addition to the squad. Like anyone though, as much displeasure i show with certain signings at the time, once they’re on the pitch wearing or shirt i’m more than happy to give them a chance!

Just now, Biz said:

Doesn’t mean he’s void of offers. 

Yea, I’d guess this deal only happens on a short term deal with reasonable wages. 

If you remember, all the prem freebies we got under Kean had published wages! 

Would love to know what some of our players are on - Dacks new contract, DG etc.

Unless we've been really stupid and offered him a ridiculous deal (which I highly doubt), this Rodwell deal is kind of a win win for us. Does terribly - get rid. Does well - we have a decent player on our books. Had bags of potential back in the day so let's hope he can finally live up to it here if it happens!

One thing is for sure, i'll be backing him 100% to succeed. 

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Knowing our luck it will be the one time he is right. 

If he was signing for the Dingles we'd be laughing our heads off. 

My Sunderland supporting pal just got back. When I told him the news he said - " You are joking aren't you, the lad's not dealing with a full deck." 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces