BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

• Moderation Lead
5 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

I thought Ben showed flashes last year, without setting the Heather fully ablaze. 

If Tony is staying, Next year, I think he might put Brereton through the middle where Armstrong has been playing, and buy in a wide player or two. I think Ben is ready for that role now, he seems a bit stronger.

Please can I just query, why you think that?

He will put Gallagher out wide and bench actual wingers, like he always has.

If he puts Brereton up front instead of Arma, we are in bother.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I want the team to score enough goals for the Rovers to progress.

In that case look at Brereton's scoring record. Gallagher not much better.

Since we are also accident-prone at the back........

8 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

I thought Ben showed flashes last year, without setting the Heather fully ablaze. 

If Tony is staying, Next year, I think he might put Brereton through the middle where Armstrong has been playing, and buy in a wide player or two. I think Ben is ready for that role now, he seems a bit stronger.

He'll not change the habit of a lifetime it's what he does and how hes always worked. These are the things that define Tony Mowbray as bang average to poor at everywhere hes been in the last decade.

If he was a results driven manager he wouldn't do the things he does but he isn't hes admitted as much.  I think if he did resort to that it would be because there is virtually no brass available for any kind of Arma replacement.

Back on BB even though he's a few years older and a bit more experienced now. Would anyone even go anywhere near 7 million to sign him ?

Edited by tomphil

• Moderation Lead
49 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

You think?  My opinion is that it's his best position

My concern is that he won’t score anything like as many goals tbh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

My concern is that he won’t score anything like as many goals tbh.

My thoughts would be. If we stopped messing about at the back, we would not concede as many soft goals and therefore would not need to score as many. 

• Like 5

The second part is certainly right.......

As for the first, he's been here three seasons and has never had the nine or ten unbroken games he imo needs up front to assess whether or not can can become the answer there and become reasonably prolific.

He'll never get it while Mowbray's here.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The second part is certainly right.......

As for the first, he's been here three seasons and has never had the nine or ten unbroken games he imo needs up front to assess whether or not can can become the answer there and become reasonably prolific.

He'll never get it while Mowbray's here.

There’s a number of players we have That I’m unable to form a proper opinion on because of the appalling mismanagement of our so called manager. These include, but not limited to;

Kaminski

Nyambe

Lenihan

Rothwell

Travis

Brereton

Gallagher

I suspect there are some duds in there, but it’s hard to form an opinion when they seem to be set up to fail most of the time. It’s criminal what Mowbray is getting away with. 

46 minutes ago, toogs said:

There’s a number of players we have That I’m unable to form a proper opinion on because of the appalling mismanagement of our so called manager. These include, but not limited to;

Kaminski

Nyambe

Lenihan

Rothwell

Travis

Brereton

Gallagher

I suspect there are some duds in there, but it’s hard to form an opinion when they seem to be set up to fail most of the time. It’s criminal what Mowbray is getting away with. 

I get some of them, but Kaminski has just won player of the season and Travis and Rothwell both have spent the season playing consistently when fit in their preferred positions, so not too sure about those 3. Lenihan is a mainstay in his favoured position when fit, and Brereton has gone from joke to average playing in a position that seems to suit him more. Gallagher out wide for example is an obvious one.

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I get some of them, but Kaminski has just won player of the season and Travis and Rothwell both have spent the season playing consistently when fit in their preferred positions, so not too sure about those 3. Lenihan is a mainstay in his favoured position when fit, and Brereton has gone from joke to average playing in a position that seems to suit him more. Gallagher out wide for example is an obvious one.

Is Rothwell consistent though. Even when fit. I don't think so 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wing, centre mid, centre mid, wing, No 10, wing, centre mid (scores a goal), dropped, dropped.

I haven't a clue how good he is.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No not at all, I don't think he is anywhere near consistent or effective enough. But he has played centrally pretty much for the entirety of this season and not performed to a good enough level, so unsure its anything other than a cop out to just refrain from judging due to "appalling mismanagement."

Of course, Mowbray signed him, so either way it is is responsibility.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Fair enough, happy to agree to disagree with your first point. I also disagree with the second paragraph. Nothing wrong with different opinions. 

When it comes to Ben, we'll see in the next few years what he turns into and if, indeed, he's even at Rovers by then. Alas, Mowbray is not a manager to improve players. How many players have actually improved under him in his four years+ here? 

So perhaps you're right and he won't be anything other than a mediocre Championship player. Other than AA, TM hardly seems to have what it takes to inspire players to improve, does he?

To be fair to Mowbray Armstrong and Travis have really improved. Brereton as well but he was appalling so has improved from a pretty low bar!

But then again Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell, Gallagher haven't improved. So, mixed bag really. Should be doing beter.

If SG was played as a 9 with half decent service I reckon he'd bag 15 goals a season, not brilliant but certainly an improvement from playing him as a "wide forward" but I haven't got Mowbray years of experience 🤌

• Like 1

Travis has been hampered with numerous knocks this season, or so we are told, so it's bound to have an impact. However i'm not altogether keen on what they seem to be trying to turn him into.

Yet another though whose more suited to a quicker tempo more in your face style instead of what we try and play.  So it's hard to tell if he's stalled or is just going through the motions being told what to do.

Either way a player like him should be having his good points encouraged not shackled.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, toogs said:

Wing, centre mid, centre mid, wing, No 10, wing, centre mid (scores a goal), dropped, dropped.

I haven't a clue how good he is.

He hasn't been moved around that much recently. I think Rothwell, cos he can do great stuff , is one a lot of excuses are made for. Yes, of course Mowbray complicates him by doing things like dropping him when playing well and that doesn't help

As AA has shown though. Players at some  point need to take personal responsibility for their performances. Obviously I have issues with some aspects of his game, but he's going Premier league and theres no sign of that happening for anyone else anytime soon. If Rothwell scored goals like he can even every 3-4 games, he probably would be too. The thing is he does it what, one in 7 or 8?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel