BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

• Backroom
21 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

How is Mogga seeing this?

Surely this is more ammunition for him to keep his job?

A large investment which is now starting to pay off (on paper). Unless he was expecting BB to get an England call up!!

The idea of us paying more due to the international call up may have some merit to it. If there was any significant clause like that in the BB transfer Rovers probably thought they wouldn't have to pay it out for years, if ever. 

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s anything to suggest Brereton has ever lacked confidence, it’s technical ability he lacks.

That’s not to say his knack of running with the ball between the halfway line and the edge of the box can’t be effective though. His inability to not fall over when he gets in and around the box might even get him more free kicks and penalties in The Copa America than it does in the Championship.

• Like 1

I was watching this last night on catch-up (lovely little series BTW, highly recommended, nice interview with Syd Cowans) and the Liverpool semi final in Munich was discussed, especially the impact Howard Gayle had when he came on for Dalglish.

Brereton can easily be that type of player - direct, pacy, able to win a free kick in a dangerous area…

FF03E503-6BEE-4E4D-B7FC-C4C47B1EBABE.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DE. said:

I wonder if he speaks Spanish. Better be brushing up on it if not!

5 hours ago, J*B said:

He’s been learning for the past few months and will speak Spanish in local media interviews whilst out there. Vamos Breo!

If his mother is truly a Chilean, surely she would have spoken Spanish to him all his life.

My son lives in Barcelona. He has always spoken English to my granddaughter who is nearly 7. His wife, who has a Catalan mother and a Spanish father, has always spoken Catalan to her. Mum and dad converse in Spanish. She goes to a Catalan-speaking school. She is fluent in all three languages and speaks English without any hint of a foreign accent.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

The idea of us paying more due to the international call up may have some merit to it. If there was any significant clause like that in the BB transfer Rovers probably thought they wouldn't have to pay it out for years, if ever. 

If they had an issue paying it, they shouldn't have put it in. 

Between this and Mowbray getting confused about Chapman's contract, it just all points to amateurs running the show 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The Brazil team of Falcoa, Socrates, Cerezoa, Eder, Junior, Zico etc had a worse centre forward than Sam. Probably why they didn’t win it that year.

1982?  Serginho? Unfortunately I was 4  back then and transformers and star wars took precedence haha. God computers weren't even invented and colour TVs and VCRs were barely on sale. I new feel rather old, so am going back to sleep for my afternoon nap haha.

5 hours ago, J*B said:

You sound like Tony - don’t go and play for your mother’s country Ben, don’t play alongside Sanchez against Messi in South America’s biggest tournament, stay at Brockhall and do pre season with the Rovers. 

That's playing the man! How very dare you!!

The points I made on his basic skills are all valid.

BTW if you can get off your fucking arse and check my posts I have wished BB well.

I don't think he's up to International senior level but that's only my opinion.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

2 hours ago, Ulrich said:

1982?  Serginho? Unfortunately I was 4  back then and transformers and star wars took precedence haha. God computers weren't even invented and colour TVs and VCRs were barely on sale. I new feel rather old, so am going back to sleep for my afternoon nap haha.

Yes, the most un Brazilian striker I’ve ever seen. Gallagher is better and that tells you all you need to know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The Brazil team of Falcoa, Socrates, Cerezoa, Eder, Junior, Zico etc had a worse centre forward than Sam. Probably why they didn’t win it that year.

serginho,he was drafted in as a late replacement when careca got injured,tragically they did`nt win the world cup that year because because they had defenders who played like forwards!!,add a touch of italian brutality and an opportunistic paolo rossi and it equalled tragedy😥

i was mesmerised by the holy quartet of socrates,zico,eder and falcao and i cried when the thuggish italians somehow managed to overcome them,you`ll never seen football like that played again

• Like 3

On 25/05/2021 at 13:26, Miller11 said:

I don’t think there’s anything to suggest Brereton has ever lacked confidence, it’s technical ability he lacks.

That’s not to say his knack of running with the ball between the halfway line and the edge of the box can’t be effective though. His inability to not fall over when he gets in and around the box might even get him more free kicks and penalties in The Copa America than it does in the Championship.

I can't agree at all. Brereton looked absolutely bereft of confidence until his run after lockdown. I think smashing them in for the reserves for a little bit helped him recover it.

He also still seems to be a bottle job at times in front of goal. You can put that down to technical ability, and it might be that, but for me it looks like bottle (nervousness under real pressure as opposed to lack of confidence in general play, which I think he has now). I'm not saying he has terrific technical ability btw. I do think he has a bit more than he's credited with though.

The rest of your post I agree with.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2021 at 12:09, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I wonder if this means we'll have to hand of another good wedge of cash to forest now he's got/getting a senior international cap!? 

Christ I hadn't thought of that - this transfer cost more than enough already thanks! I hope the wording of any such clause, which I expect there probably is, says caps for England specifically and not just international caps.

It seems to be forgotten time and again because of the transfer fee we paid for him, but Ben Brereton only turned 22 a month ago. He has a lot to learn, but still time to develop. We still think of Lewis Travis as a youngster, but he's 18 months older than BB, as is the likes of Harry Chapman. Heck he's only a few months older than Rankin-Costello. John Buckley's only six months younger.

I'm only mentioning these as we're talking about young players gaining experience, learning their trade, developing in their game. BB has time to improve. These next years do really need to show his improvement, sure, but we have been blinded by his fee too often at times. He's still a young lad in footballing terms.

Of course, these next couple of pivotal years of development will no doubt be overseen by Tony Mowbray. So, good luck there Ben...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

It seems to be forgotten time and again because of the transfer fee we paid for him, but Ben Brereton only turned 22 a month ago. He has a lot to learn, but still time to develop. We still think of Lewis Travis as a youngster, but he's 18 months older than BB, as is the likes of Harry Chapman. Heck he's only a few months older than Rankin-Costello. John Buckley's only six months younger.

I'm only mentioning these as we're talking about young players gaining experience, learning their trade, developing in their game. BB has time to improve. These next years do really need to show his improvement, sure, but we have been blinded by his fee too often at times. He's still a young lad in footballing terms.

Of course, these next couple of pivotal years of development will no doubt be overseen by Tony Mowbray. So, good luck there Ben...

Knowing what you know now would you have signed him when we did ? Also, would you give him a new contract this year  ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Knowing what you know now would you have signed him when we did ? Also, would you give him a new contract this year  ?

No I wouldn't have signed him knowing what we know now cos my first priority would have been after Promotion would have been a centre back like Konsa or Egan or Cooper as someone who could have replace Mulgrew long term plus signing a Graham type replacement like Matt Smith. 

Yes I would give him a new contract this year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Would I have signed him for a reported £7m? No.

Would I give him a new contract after what he achieved last season (and presumably produces similar until Dec when you consider renewing his contract)? Yes. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Any manager who couldn't spend £7M better than that shouldn't be within a hundred miles of a football club.

Any manager that spends £7m on a player then plays him out of position for his entire tenure at the club shouldn't be within a hundred miles of a football club.

The fact that Brereton has forced his way into the side and been a productive player in a role he's not suited for is a testament to him. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Any manager that spends £7m on a player then plays him out of position for his entire tenure at the club shouldn't be within a hundred miles of a football club.

The fact that Brereton has forced his way into the side and been a productive player in a role he's not suited for is a testament to him. 

One of my question to Mowbray would be when you bought where did you see Brereton playing long term? cos its took him 2 years/seasons to find his best position which is a wide role in front 3. Never will be number 9 striker for me. 

But we should have signed his team mate Ben Osborn at the time along with Armstrong, Konsa or Egan then a Matt Smith type to replace or play instead of Graham in some games. 

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

One of my question to Mowbray would be when you bought where did you see Brereton playing long term? cos its took him 2 years/seasons to find his best position which is a wide role in front 3. Never will be number 9 striker for me. 

But we should have signed his team mate Ben Osborn at the time along with Armstrong, Konsa or Egan then a Matt Smith type to replace or play instead of Graham in some games. 

I agree with your question for Mowbray (would you believe the answer, I wouldn't). As for the rest it is an opinion, of which everybody has one. I don't agree with yours, but that is just my opinion. 

• Like 1

I always thought Mowbray had the 3 at the front style in mind as the plan was Dack would leave. DG would be phased out due to age and Armstrong is a natural left sided forward who can play in the middle also.

Of course then he bought Gallagher and Dack didn't get sold just injured. I think though the BB signing was probably a whim with that wide right role always in mind.

Even if AA leaves we'll still see Brereton wide right forward, Gallagher shoe horned in left wide forward and Dolan / loanee and god knows who else rotated in the middle.

Mind blowing way to go.

5 hours ago, rigger said:

I agree with your question for Mowbray (would you believe the answer, I wouldn't). As for the rest it is an opinion, of which everybody has one. I don't agree with yours, but that is just my opinion. 

What don't you agree with? The players suggested? Our priority in the last 3 summers is signing a good enough centre back to play next Lenihan and replace Mulgrew long term