BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

9 hours ago, bazza said:

What are the odds on Brentford coming in for him this summer after making a massive profit on the sale of Ivan Toney? And BB Diaz keeping them up in the Prem?

About the same as Mowbray and Waggot resigning tomorrow with a statement that Tony knows playing 6 ft 5 strikers on the wing is stupid but he just can't help himself.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Whilst he's not worth 7 million as yet (and never should have been bought for that at the time even if he goes on to be worth 20 million)

Just specifically on this point- how could anyone suggest he wasn’t a good investment if he’s eventually worth more than we paid?

Surely that’s just being stubborn about the original issue you had with his transfer fee?

Whilst id agree, there’s still a long way to go to justify or reach value for that cash - wouldn’t all of us accept we got it completely wrong if he plays centre forward, bags a hatful of goals and moves for a bigger fee?

I also note that he’s played more minutes as a central striker for Chile in a 10 Minute cameo than he has in 3 seasons for us.

• Like 2

• Backroom

I just love this whole scenario it just makes me smile, I’ve never been overly convinced even when he plays well he seems to rarely make true contact but he’s clearly getting better. 

All that aside he seems a lovely, goofy lad and this is just a brilliant story and people are embracing it on both continents.

CHI CHI CHI LE LE VIVA CHILE! 🇨🇱🇨🇱🇨🇱

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JBiz said:

Just specifically on this point- how could anyone suggest he wasn’t a good investment if he’s eventually worth more than we paid?

Surely that’s just being stubborn about the original issue you had with his transfer fee?

Whilst id agree, there’s still a long way to go to justify or reach value for that cash - wouldn’t all of us accept we got it completely wrong if he plays centre forward, bags a hatful of goals and moves for a bigger fee?

I also note that he’s played more minutes as a central striker for Chile in a 10 Minute cameo than he has in 3 seasons for us.

Don't ignore transfer fee inflation will you JBiz? If he's still got 2 legs he's going to cost, even now, with all this publicity!

However I have no idea whether we'll get more than £7M  eventually or not. If we do it won't be getting our money back in real terms.

Edited by 47er

5 hours ago, JBiz said:

Because we are not a club that can afford to spend 7 million pounds on a player and wait 2 years for him to start earning the shirt, even if we make a profit somewhere down the line. That 7 million invested properly at the time may have been enough to get us into genuine playoff contention before now. Then again under this manager, maybe it doesn't matter how we spent it.

Any future fee would have to be ludicrous, upwards of 20 million, before I'd be willing to reconsider that maybe it was a good move when everything was factored in. This assuming we didn't stick a nice sell on fee in there for Forest, which would be very like us...

Or of course, if he fired us to promotion. Either scenario is fantasy-land in my view though.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Because we are not a club that can afford to spend 7 million pounds on a player and wait 2 years for him to start earning the shirt, even if we make a profit somewhere down the line. That 7 million invested properly at the time may have been enough to get us into genuine playoff contention before now. Then again under this manager, maybe it doesn't matter how we spent it.

Any future fee would have to be ludicrous, upwards of 20 million, before I'd be willing to reconsider that maybe it was a good move when everything was factored in. This assuming we didn't stick a nice sell on fee in there for Forest, which would be very like us...

Or of course, if he fired us to promotion. Either scenario is fantasy-land in my view though.

I accept that notion - possibly the biggest issue TM and his team have caused, for the Kaminski, Dack and the AA bargains, we could’ve bought 10 players for both Gally and Breregol and made more impact on our whole team immediately. Easy in hindsight however, and I don’t think the tactics always being 1 central player has helped.

If he’s sold for 10m though, it’s money going back into the club at least. If he’s walking for free next year, it would be a scandal.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JBiz said:

I accept that notion - possibly the biggest issue TM and his team have caused, for the Kaminski, Dack and the AA bargains, we could’ve bought 10 players for both Gally and Breregol and made more impact on our whole team immediately. Easy in hindsight however, and I don’t think the tactics always being 1 central player has helped.

If he’s sold for 10m though, it’s money going back into the club at least. If he’s walking for free next year, it would be a scandal.

If only it was that simple! 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ipswich tried that approach in 18/19 and finished dead last. They hired the Shrewsbury manager who ran us close when we were promoted. He went on a spending spree in League One bringing in the likes of Joe Nolan, Gwion Edwards, Kayden Jackson, Elliis Harrison etc. Breo was not worth the money, but scattergun approach is dangerous thing as well.

image.png.a0010f203866e6a37c11d4431c326ab8.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, briansol said:

Ipswich tried that approach in 18/19 and finished dead last. They hired the Shrewsbury manager who ran us close when we were promoted. He went on a spending spree in League One bringing in the likes of Joe Nolan, Gwion Edwards, Kayden Jackson, Elliis Harrison etc. Breo was not worth the money, but scattergun approach is dangerous thing as well.

Don't see any of those boys in the Copa America 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If only - I think sometimes that’s the issue with BRFCS, expectations are a little bit out of align with reality. We’re miles behind with wages - so it’s never going to be first choice every time

• Like 1

5 hours ago, briansol said:

Hardly adds up to 12 million though does it? 4 mil tops.

It was clear the ex Shrewsbury boss was out of his depth anyway. Buying up a team of L1 players - which surprisingly got relegated to L1. 

Think the original point was that we could have got 10 players for both BB and SG which could have proved better value in the end. Would not be be happy with 8 of those coming from a lower league than the club was in.

Edited by JacknOry

10 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Hardly adds up to 12 million though does it? 4 mil tops.

It was clear the ex Shrewsbury boss was out of his depth anyway. Buying up a team of L1 players - which surprisingly got relegated to L1. 

Think the original point was that we could have got 10 players for both BB and SG which could have proved better value in the end. Would not be be happy with 8 of those coming from a lower league than the club was in.

Even if it’s 5 players - we could’ve signed a new left and goalkeeper and striker with the Brererton cash, then another centreback and a whatever else for the Gally cash.

I personally think they probably tried to do this but when targets fell away they did the Hyndburn council February/March roadworks trick and spent all their budget so it doesn’t get cut the year after…!

One issue TM and the team can’t deny - it would be a hell of a lot easier to attract better players if we finished higher up the league. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JBiz said:

Even if it’s 5 players - we could’ve signed a new left and goalkeeper and striker with the Brererton cash, then another centreback and a whatever else for the Gally cash.

I personally think they probably tried to do this but when targets fell away they did the Hyndburn council February/March roadworks trick and spent all their budget so it doesn’t get cut the year after…!

One issue TM and the team can’t deny - it would be a hell of a lot easier to attract better players if we finished higher up the league. 

Still think the aim was to splash out on a striker that season. We had Assombolonga linked, Gallagher was also linked the season before we got him - think even Bamford was approached. Remember all sorts of sob stories about not being able to compete with wages etc. Targets indeed fell away and we had the money burning a hole in our pocket so stumped up for the young Brereton who would not have been on insane wages but was yet to prove himself.

Most of us knew defense should have been the priority and would much rather have spread that cash around on 3 or 4 players. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, only2garners said:

I’ll take a modicum of credit for that Herbie. The journalist emailed me a couple of days ago (my email is on the club website) and I pointed him in the direction of brfcs for some comments from fans about his debut.

Well thank you…well done 😁

I saw a reply from @Tom on Twitter & followed up that with Nicolas but pleased that BRFCS is now (in)famous in South America 👍🏻

Hello.  I'm new here.  i'm a chilean from the US who has been following your boy Benjamín Bréreton recently.  he has generated a lot of buzz in chile, which from reading this thread comes as a surprise for many BRFC fans .  having nationalized players or players with only tenuous cultural ties (beyond any bureaucratic citizinship rights) is not unknown for many national teams and chile is not alone in this (there was a half chilean half swede bench warmer during the last cycle).  he does not speak a word of spanish and the only spanish song he knows is "feliz navidad" (and probably not very well).  that said, welcome to chile, ben!

chile does not have many promising young players so as some have suspected, the recruitment of BB is a bit of chile scraping the bottom of the barrel.   i am optimistic that he weill do well on the team.  Chileans are not tall and BB is a giant among dwarves (i am 5f 7in, like Alexis or Chile's central defender and former Cardiff man Gary Medel).  He shows promise in playing in the center.  I think he has been mismanaged at Rovers and he will benefit from training with south americans and a different footballing language (and i don't mean english to spanish here).  

Ben Bréreton is slated to start tonight vs Bolivia, immediately following the England-Scotland game.  This is his big chance to make an impression against a covid-depleted Bolivia team, that chile tied 1-1 against at home just 2wks ago.  I hope he does well.

• Like 7

Chile's uruguayan coach Martín Lasarte reminded the press yesterday to tone down the high expectations fans have suddenly heaved upon BB, reminding everyone he will need some time to adjust.  Not only does he not speak the language, he needs to get to know his team mates and chile's playing style.  Half the chilean team has been playing together for 14+yrs.  Unlike The Mandalorian [Pedro Pascal, US chilean] BB has not cultivated ties to chile and is culturally and footballistically 100% english.  We shouldnt expect immediate success.  He will have a learning curve.

Edited by LordBaltimore
Misspellings
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

Chile's uruguayan coach Martín Lasarte reminded the press yesterday to tone down the high expectations fans have suddenly heaved upon BB, reminding everyone he will need some time to adjust.  Not only does he not speak the language, he needs to get to know his team mates and chile's playing style.  Half the chilean team has been playing together for 14+yrs.  Unlike The Mandalorian [Pedro Pascal, US chilean] BB has not cultivated ties to chile and is culturally and footballistically 100% english.  We shouldnt expect immediate success.  He will have a learning curve.

The fact you refer to the mainstays as “the mandalorian” basically made me a chile Fan… (nothing to do with our lacklustre display)..!