BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

6 minutes ago, Ianglasgow said:

He’s not a bad player at all in the correct position as his chile exploits prove but Tony isn’t into positions tactics and formations is he 

The trouble is at the moment he is not a good player either, despite the Chilean media reports.

1 hour ago, Ianglasgow said:

He’s not a bad player at all in the correct position as his chile exploits prove but Tony isn’t into positions tactics and formations is he 

He plays in the exact same position for us. Wide left striker.

14A06A22-9D33-4291-A8D5-AE0FBAC0682E.jpeg

F49CEC91-AD3D-4362-9F0F-9845DD122889.jpeg

1664F572-A8EA-47FE-9C16-AE5D840A6A35.jpeg

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, arbitro said:

You saying you don't think he's played his best for Chile get kind of supports my point doesn't it? And I would dispute he is a better player now than when he signed for us.

I'd argue that he's done incredibly well to force himself into Mowbray's First XI. Not that he's NAILED on to start every week (although he should be), but he's made himself very difficult to drop.

Is he a better player than he was when he arrived. Undoubtedly, he's 3 years older. Is he has good now as he should be considering his potential? Absolutely not.

If there's any truth to the Leeds rumour he'll be off like a shot and good luck to him. Bielsa actually develops his players. At the right price that's a very shrewd signing for them. With a year left on his contract we won't get our money back on Brereton, but that's just part and parcel of the mismanagement that's rife at this club. 

#Mowbrayout

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

What are his exAg, +\-aGra, ex AsI5t, total runs per acre and >goals/m2 stats in that position though? 

Dunno mate, can't see that stuff with me eyes as simply as where a player is on the pitch!

Not sure if it's been discussed on here, but it's been widely reported that the £7m was the total fee including all potential add ons.

Presumably there was an amount due to Forest if he went on to play international football. I wonder if that was specified as playing for England, or whether being called up for Chile has actually meant we've had to pay more money out for him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Not sure if it's been discussed on here, but it's been widely reported that the £7m was the total fee including all potential add ons.

Presumably there was an amount due to Forest if he went on to play international football. I wonder if that was specified as playing for England, or whether being called up for Chile has actually meant we've had to pay more money out for him?

If we specified England, it was a fine bit of business 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Can only see Brereton progressing his career as a striker. He's not cut out to defend or gallop up and down the wing 

Granted, his shooting is not good, but, were he to improve, he could be very useful drifting from the left, as a forward. However, drifting from left back, not so much.

It's a real shame for the game that the second striker has been all but abandoned. It means less opportunities for the creative forward whose limited defensive duties enables them to conserve energy and concentrate their work in the final third and on the counter attack.

If Matt Jansen was playing in the modern era, presumably, he'd be used as a left or right forward and defend deep when out of possession. Not to compare Brereton and Jansen, of course.

Edited by riverholmes

Can someone clear up how exactly to pronounce his lastname? 

I have heard it pronounced both the way it is spelled, "BRE-re-ton" and I have heard the player himself pronounce it "BRE-ton", omitting the middle syllable.  I understand there are strong regional & social differences in pronounciation around England.  But is Ben Diez's pronounciation of his own surname regional or would everyone in England pronounce it "BRE-ton"?  

• Moderation Lead
25 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

I have heard it pronounced both the way it is spelled, "BRE-re-ton" and I have heard the player himself pronounce it "BRE-ton", omitting the middle syllable.  I understand there are strong regional & social differences in pronounciation around England.  But is Ben Diez's pronounciation of his own surname regional or would everyone in England pronounce it "BRE-ton"?  

‘Breerton’- from the man himself!

• Like 2

Two nights ago following the team dinner, there was the traditional "baptism" for players making their debut for Chile in this Copa America.  It consists of the kid standing on a chair, loudly stating his name, age, and club (usually followed by cheers & jeers), and he is made to sing a song of his choosing in front of the entire delegation.  All the new debuts sang reggaeton songs (which BB had better get used to...poor guy!).  But not Brereton.  

He was deemed too tall to stand on the chair (they feared he'd hit the ceiling).  Standing on the chair next to him is an English speaking coach for the chilean team to help him out.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

2 syllables, the first rhyming with "air". The thing is the way "air" (and bear, and hair etc) is pronounced is very dependent on accent and origin. In the UK we generally don't enunciate the /r/ phoneme in those kind of words, so it just sounds like Breeh-ton. In the US they'd pronounce it very differently (probably even chuck an extra syllable in)

1 hour ago, PotterLog said:

2 syllables, the first rhyming with "air". The thing is the way "air" (and bear, and hair etc) is pronounced is very dependent on accent and origin. In the UK we generally don't enunciate the /r/ phoneme in those kind of words, so it just sounds like Breeh-ton. In the US they'd pronounce it very differently (probably even chuck an extra syllable in)

In the US it'd be either the way it is spelled with that middle R clearly proniunced and some would probably change that end T to a D [Brereden].

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

Blackburn area and local would say "Breret re ton" I suggest? That's how I say it as an exile for 30 years. 😪

21 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Blackburn area and local would say "Breret re ton" I suggest? That's how I say it as an exile for 30 years. 😪

Thanks.

Speaking of which, UK article that addresses Chile's struggle to pronounce his name:

Leeds United Link As Chile Debates How to Pronounce Ben Brereton

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ben-brereton-transfer-leeds-stoke-5572412

Edited by LordBaltimore

BenDiez is now being looked at by Real Sociedad in Spain on the personal recommendation of chile's uruguayan coach Lasarte, who coached at Real Sociedad between 2009-11.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/transfer-news/nottingham-forest-ben-brereton-leeds-5577296

Edited by LordBaltimore

8 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

BenDiez is now being looked at by Real Sociedad in Spain on the personal recommendation of chile's uruguayan coach Lasarte, who coached at Real Sociedad between 2009-11.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/transfer-news/nottingham-forest-ben-brereton-leeds-5577296

The Reds inserted several add-on clauses into the deal, including a sell-on clause on any profit Blackburn might make on any future sale.

probably 40%