BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 hour ago, HowieFive0 said:

Its not just Bens ...every official rovers post on instagram is flooded with responses in spanish.

Sam Barnes signing a new contract had possibly 6 ? comments in English ..the other 35 or so all in Spanish ..madness ..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQv8l4XIx5b/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Lessons required. 

5 minutes ago, lraC said:

That might be cheating. I think Field was a one off, especially in the old Third division. 

Yes if I had to go for one of them I would say Matt Jansen would be the closest to Tony Field

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HowieFive0 said:

Its not just Bens ...every official rovers post on instagram is flooded with responses in spanish.

Sam Barnes signing a new contract had possibly 6 ? comments in English ..the other 35 or so all in Spanish ..madness ..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQv8l4XIx5b/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Forgive my ignorance but how common have south americans been at Rovers?  I know Roque Santa Cruz played a bit ago but social media was not really there yet.  I think some other Paraguayan at some point?  What about Spaniards?

Edited by LordBaltimore

3 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

Forgive my ignorance but how common have south americans been at Rovers?  I know Roque Santa Cruz played a bit ago but social media was not really there yet.  I think some other Paraguayan at some point?  What about Spaniards?

Ossy Ardiles, Salgardo.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

We had another Chilean, Carlos Villanueva, on loan in 2008/09 but he didn't play much.

Couple of Argentinians going back a few years - Mauro Formica, Franco di Santo. Can't think of too many more South Americans off the top of my head.....

Ruben Rochina was another Spaniard as well as Salgado. Javier de Pedro too going even further back, although he barely kicked a ball for us.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, frosty said:

We had another Chilean, Carlos Villanueva, on loan in 2008/09 but he didn't play much.

Couple of Argentinians going back a few years - Mauro Formica, Franco di Santo. Can't think of too many more South Americans off the top of my head.....

Ruben Rochina was another Spaniard as well as Salgado. Javier de Pedro too going even further back, although he barely kicked a ball for us.

Bruno played a couple of times.

Best of a very poor bunch was probably Santa Cruz. Unless going back Ossie Ardiles but I can’t personally remember him playing to comment. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

Spanish - Salgado prob the only noteworthy name, rochina, de Pedro, Yordi, apparently Ayala currently plays for rovers but never seen him, David raya, Jordi gomez. 

• Like 1

Interesting.  It always seems like there are more south americans in English football but that prob has to do with some distorted optics out of the top premiere league teams recruiting big flashy names.  It feels like every team has a token brazilian.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Yes if I had to go for one of them I would say Matt Jansen would be the closest to Tony Field

Imagine Jansen, before his accident, playing in league one. He would cause havoc. 

2 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

Interesting.  It always seems like there are more south americans in English football but that prob has to do with some distorted optics out of the top premiere league teams recruiting big flashy names.  It feels like every team has a token brazilian.

Yeah watching this Brazil team is like watching a Premier League XI, it's weird. That's a pretty recent thing though.

3 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

Yeah watching this Brazil team is like watching a Premier League XI, it's weird. That's a pretty recent thing though.

Back in the day you could tell it was a Brazilian team just by their way of playing. Nobody played like they did although Peru ran them close for style at times, especially when Cubillas and co were playing. Now they look just the same as any other team.

Tony Field ? Think of an Alan Armstrong who could dribble around people.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Back in the day you could tell it was a Brazilian team just by their way of playing. Nobody played like they did although Peru ran them close for style at times, especially when Cubillas and co were playing. Now they look just the same as any other team.

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing. There's no real magic about Brazil any more, notwithstanding the fact they're easily the best team in this tournament. Even with Neymar they're really just another ultra-drilled, high-pressing, ball-recycling, play-through-the-lines elite team. Kind of dull.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing. There's no real magic about Brazil any more, notwithstanding the fact they're easily the best team in this tournament. Even with Neymar they're really just another ultra-drilled, high-pressing, ball-recycling, play-through-the-lines elite team. Kind of dull.

When I first saw them they had Pele, Vava, Garrincha, Amarildo, Didi etc. Then Jairzinho, Tostao, Rivelinho, Pele. They played football like a team from another planet.

As you say they’re still a good team but the magic has gone.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, pre 1980s Brazil was something else.  But too much south american talent gets exported to Europe at such a young age that they end up being more european and less "south american".  Messi has been a Barça boy since age 13....until his contract expired on june 30.

1 minute ago, LordBaltimore said:

Yeah, pre 1980s Brazil was something else.  But too much south american talent gets exported to Europe at such a young age that they end up being more european and less "south american".  Messi has been a Barça boy since age 13....until his contract expired on june 30.

I remember seeing them on TV v West Germany back in 60’s. At half time about 8 or 9 of the subs formed up around the centre circle. They started passing ball around and across the circle. Headers, volleys, knee’s, ankles, shoulders. The kept it up for over 10 minutes and the ball never touched the ground ! That was with old ball and old style boots.

They had a winger called Pepe who played with Pele at Santos. His speciality was 35 yd free kicks like Roberto Carlos but without the bend. The ball went at amazing speed and as straight as an arrow. He scored a free kick against England at Wembley a week later.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

brazil,spain 1982 world cup were absolutely brilliant,zico,eder,socrates and falcoa the holy quartet ran rings around everybody,unfortunately it was their undoing,as they forgot about defending😪

i agree on the whole brazilian style,they don`t produce anyone like kaka,ronaldinho,ronaldo,romario or bebeto etc anymore

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

brazil,spain 1982 world cup were absolutely brilliant,zico,eder,socrates and falcoa the holy quartet ran rings around everybody,unfortunately it was their undoing,as they forgot about defending😪

i agree on the whole brazilian style,they don`t produce anyone like kaka,ronaldinho,ronaldo,romario or bebeto etc anymore

Neymar had that magic as a young player, the playing the game for the love of it, the taking on a player one too many times just for the hell of it. But it's been mostly coached out of him now, and the stats probably show that he is a more effective - to use a fittingly utilitarian adjective - player for it.

I don't think it's so much that they don't produce players like that any more, it's just there generally seems to be less and less room in today's ultra-athletic, tactics-ruled game for those types of maverick creative players.

Edited by PotterLog
  • Like 3

The daily dose of Ben Brereton....three more English language articles on BB.  

Ben Brereton Hoping To Outshine Neymar And Brazil To Keep Copa América Dream Alive

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brereton-blackburn-neymar-copa-america-24446875

From Blackburn To Brazil: Ben Brereton Is Shining At The Copa América

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/from-blackburn-to-brazil-brereton-to-take-on-neymar-with-chile-at-the-copa-america/

The Fairytale Rise of Ben Brereton: How The Man From Stoke Became A Cultural Phenonemon In Chile

https://theathletic.com/2685423/2021/07/02/the-fairytale-rise-of-ben-brereton-how-the-man-from-stoke-became-a-cultural-phenomenon-in-chile/

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 3