BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

We sign a player for 7 mil and hardly give him game time - some people with their re-writing of history.

Mate he didn't start a lot of matches when he joined he was getting 15 minutes here and there 

9 starts in total he made that season

Edited by islander200

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Because he was useless..

He was poor in his cameos but he was  mismanaged also.

Mowbray paid the 7 million fee for him.He had made enough starts at Nottingham Forest for the manager and club willing to shell out 7 million to know what that were buying.

15,10,5 minutes was doing nothing for him only draining any bit of confidence the guy had left with the groans of the crowd etc.

Regular gametime in a settled position has brought his game on.His involvement with Chile has taken his confidence to another level but his improvement started after the covid break .I think his movements off the ball and dragging players out of the box was underestimated in the way it aided Armstrong and we looked a much better side with Brereton in it although his form did dip after he got injured.He isn't an elegant looking footballer but he does look to frighten defenders a little in this division with his power and awkwardness,he wins us a load of frees and I like the fact he is always in the refs ear and he gives it back when he is getting it from the opposition.

• Like 2

When he first signed he looked really raw, very lightweight and to be honest on what I was seeing when he got on the pitch he certainly didn't deserve to be starting. 

Behind the scenes, he has clearly been working in his physique as he looks like he has massively bulked up. That along with the Chile factor has no doubt helped in his Improvement on the pitch. 

I don't think TM ever hid the fact the brereton was a 'project' signing and the owners don't seem to mind spending money on forward players. 

Some people have invested far to much time in hating TM that they can't even admit when he has got something right. Now it's cries of  mismanaged, not played enough etc etc. 

• Backroom

As far as TM being 'right' in spending £7m on BBD, it comes down to two factors. Either his presence and goals fire us to promotion, or we sell him for a decent profit. If either of those come to pass then yes, the purchase can be called a success. Obviously leaving Brereton's contract to run down is putting us into an awkward position as far as his sale value goes, and it seems TM is unable to build a team here that he can get promoted. 

So, let's wait and see what happens. The ultimate aim should be to build a team that can achieve promotion, but at the same time the reality for clubs in our position is that we need to be able to sell some assets for much more than we brought them in for. If that happens with BBD then there is an argument that it was, in the end, a smart signing. 

43 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He was poor in his cameos but he was  mismanaged also.

Mowbray paid the 7 million fee for him.He had made enough starts at Nottingham Forest for the manager and club willing to shell out 7 million to know what that were buying.

15,10,5 minutes was doing nothing for him only draining any bit of confidence the guy had left with the groans of the crowd etc.

Regular gametime in a settled position has brought his game on.His involvement with Chile has taken his confidence to another level but his improvement started after the covid break .I think his movements off the ball and dragging players out of the box was underestimated in the way it aided Armstrong and we looked a much better side with Brereton in it although his form did dip after he got injured.He isn't an elegant looking footballer but he does look to frighten defenders a little in this division with his power and awkwardness,he wins us a load of frees and I like the fact he is always in the refs ear and he gives it back when he is getting it from the opposition.

Let’s not re-write history in order to paint the management in a bad light. Brereton had plenty of opportunities and offered very little for two seasons. He didn’t get more game time because he wasn’t performing, which is exactly how it should be. He eventually earned more starts and has improved. Why make it into something it’s not?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Let’s not re-write history in order to paint the management in a bad light. Brereton had plenty of opportunities and offered very little for two seasons. He didn’t get more game time because he wasn’t performing, which is exactly how it should be. He eventually earned more starts and has improved. Why make it into something it’s not?

The manager paid 7 million for him, your rightful critique of Brererton reflects badly on the management and club in itself .He did not get immediate starts.Im going off the stats .He was poor which I agreed in my post but off limited starts and 15,10,5 minutes.

He had made 53 appearances for Forest in this division before coming here.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Roverinbelfast said:

When he first signed he looked really raw, very lightweight and to be honest on what I was seeing when he got on the pitch he certainly didn't deserve to be starting. 

Behind the scenes, he has clearly been working in his physique as he looks like he has massively bulked up. That along with the Chile factor has no doubt helped in his Improvement on the pitch. 

I don't think TM ever hid the fact the brereton was a 'project' signing and the owners don't seem to mind spending money on forward players. 

Some people have invested far to much time in hating TM that they can't even admit when he has got something right. Now it's cries of  mismanaged, not played enough etc etc. 

no hates mowbray,everyone acknowledges he`s a nice fellow,he`s just not a very good manager or coach.hence the frustration of his tactics and team shape which vary from the strange to the completely barmy

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think last season he shown more than glimpses and I said this summer that I thought he would replace Armstrong goals and set up to the plate and score goals. So far he has done this and done excellent so far. 

Well when we signed him I was happy with him cos from what Ive seen of him thought we signed a talent player. 

With Armstrong gone, he has had to step up to the plate and he’s grown in confidence and done well so far.

For the first couple of seasons, at least, he was utter tripe. Not my description of a talented player. Since then, however, and to his credit, he has turned things round. Not quite ‘made it’ yet Chaddy.

2 hours ago, DE. said:

As far as TM being 'right' in spending £7m on BBD, it comes down to two factors. Either his presence and goals fire us to promotion, or we sell him for a decent profit. If either of those come to pass then yes, the purchase can be called a success. Obviously leaving Brereton's contract to run down is putting us into an awkward position as far as his sale value goes, and it seems TM is unable to build a team here that he can get promoted. 

So, let's wait and see what happens. The ultimate aim should be to build a team that can achieve promotion, but at the same time the reality for clubs in our position is that we need to be able to sell some assets for much more than we brought them in for. If that happens with BBD then there is an argument that it was, in the end, a smart signing. 

Its looking like we bought an investment project rather than a player. As soon as he comes good, he's off (or so it appears).

Probably what Balaji intended all along. Whatever the club gets for him, we won't see much of it.

9 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

What about the poor standard of coaching at Rovers? Chile got more out of him in six weeks than Rovers did in two and a half years. And that was international not club football.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Thats bull - hardly gave him game time? Are you 5 years old? I suggest you go back and check your stats.

I suggest you learn to read...

18/19 Season - 677 mins on the pitch

19/20 Season - 608 mins on the pitch

20/21 Season - 2440 mins on the pitch

21/22 Season - 990 mins on the pitch (after 11 games)

Don't let facts get in the way of your 'support' of the lad though.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DE. said:

If we're being honest, if BBD gets an offer from a club in a better position than us, willing to pay more wages and with a higher chance of winning something he'd be crazy not to take that opportunity. I don't think the lad needs an agent to tell him that. It's clear he's willing to step outside his comfort zone by the fact he went and played for Chile despite not knowing the language or any of his team mates. With his international allegiance in mind a move to Spain would probably be the next logical step.

At this point it really is just a case of whether we sell him in January or the summer as far as I can see. I think hopes of him signing a new contract here, beyond the 12 month trigger, are highly likely to be dashed.

Has he got got a trigger on his contract ? If so that’s a relief 

21 hours ago, 47er said:

Rubbish! Not a single poster on here hated him. On the contrary everyone desperately wanted him to succeed but despaired that he ever would.Now he has we probably won't see much more of him!

We haven't got an administration worthy of the name so ironically he could see his contract out and leave for nothing. Since this was allegedly Balaji's own money and investment I suspect he'll be flying over with a crowbar in his pocket should this occur!

But let's not reinvent history. This was not a good signing. If we had spent £4 million say, on a decent striker to play upfront with Armstrong and spent £8M on the defence, don't you think we might have gone up?

I'm willing to admit I never thought he would make anything of himself and after 3 bloody years he has. I wonder if his mother had been English would things have turned out this way? But it doesn't changed the fundamental point that ,at the time he wasn't what we wanted. Neither was Gallagher.

He was getting all sorts of stick all over social media I know case I always defended him 

13 minutes ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Has he got got a trigger on his contract ? If so that’s a relief 

After the Chapman fiasco I still wonder, but quite a lot from the local press in recent weeks suggests that one exists. Like you say, a massive relief that at least we shouldn't lose him on a free after the time and money invested.

4 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

All of Benjamín's touches vs Paraguay.

What a great finish for his goal! He certainly put himself about for 90 minutes, based on those edited highlights. Add another zero to the cheque needed to prise him from the mighty BRFC in January... but on form alone, I'd be astounded if nobody came in for Ben at that point. Will we get our money back? Should we sell in any case? Who knows, but his performance against Paraguay will not have done his stock any harm at all.

Viva Diaz! 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, TheRovers1994 said:

He was getting all sorts of stick all over social media I know case I always defended him 

Social media has to get into someone, that's the nature of the beast. That's why I avoid it apart from this site!

He wasn't booed at games by Rovers fans and he wasn't hated. We were astonished, saddened and embarrassed but we all wanted him to do well. Now, at last he is, but whether Chile or Rovers are responsible is a moot point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Social media doesn't equate to match going support, hence we get the melts on fb now saying BB won't sign a deal because the stick he got, which is nonsense. Some of our fans always need a stick to beat the the rest of the support. Its more a bigger problem as to how we negotiate contracts with Brereton has an option but doesn't look like he'll sign a proper extended deal. Nyambe, Lenihan and Rothwell all currently not re signing either, we either leave it to late or low ball offer players. Which when you consider how cheaply everything else is done by Waggott and co, that would be my bet 

14 hours ago, Roverinbelfast said:

I understood the "project" side of it and always thought he'd turn out to be a very good player from what I had seen. I give Mowbray credit for the signing, but he really did hang him out to dry a bit imo by not giving him a run of games for years.

59 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

What a great finish for his goal! He certainly put himself about for 90 minutes, based on those edited highlights. Add another zero to the cheque needed to prise him from the mighty BRFC in January... but on form alone, I'd be astounded if nobody came in for Ben at that point. Will we get our money back? Should we sell in any case? Who knows, but his performance against Paraguay will not have done his stock any harm at all.

Viva Diaz! 

His first touch of the game is hilarious though 🤣

No matter how effective and a useful player he becomes, I think he's always gonna look like a pissed giraffe sometimes. Adds to his charm for me 🤣

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

On 25/09/2021 at 17:12, riverholmes said:

Could Rovers have a 1 year unilateral extension clause that they can activate - as they have used with Nyambe and Chapman which could keep Brereton until 2023? Or has it already been activated? Nonetheless, if he doesn't sign soon, the club must sell him. We can't afford to let all high value assets leave on frees or compensation based on hypothetical future achievements.

Brereton reminds me, in a vague way, to Robbie Savage, in terms of his desire and confidence which sometimes compensates for limited technical ability. His bizarre second goal against Cardiff sums this up. He also has pace which makes a difference.

I think it's quite rare for a forward with limited technical ability to have the confidence to run at defenders. Most look to retain the ball, in fear of losing possession. Brereton's self-belief, alongside his pace, are probably his biggest assets.

I expected Brereton to sink without trace at Rovers and I think, without the Chile call-up, that may well have happened. He seems to have more belief than ever and will benefit from playing more centrally, where he can threaten the goal. Like Gallagher, I believe his technical limits mean that Championship is his level.

Considering BBD was signed primarily as an investment to be sold on for a big fat profit to find ourselves in this position regarding his contract is absolutely negligent.  

If you buy something to be sold on do you not then protect that item so as to reap maximum rewards.