BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

But equally you have to show enough to warrant more game time, and that you deserve regular starts. He certainly failed to do that.

If you spend £7m on a lad who just played a full season for Notts Forest and won the EFL young player of the year then in my view he starts every game for at least the first 20 games of that season. If not why bother singing him when we had pressing concerns in other areas of the pitch?

What I wouldn't do is bring him on for 10 mins at the end of a game (probably when losing) and then see fans start classing him as appalling because he hasn't managed to score a hat trick in what little time he gets on the pitch.

You could see his confidence drain away that first season with the way Mowbray managed him. With hindsight I bet Ben wished he stayed at Forest and got another full season or two in and he may have reached the point he is at now much sooner. Thankfully in the end its worked out and its wonderful to hear the 'Diaz' chants at Ewood after he bangs another one in.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would say a lot of signings over the last 9 years fit neither criteria , hence why I said I would take a Brereton style transfer, where he eventually delivers and will command a fee when leaving. 

Spending £7m on 'projects' is a massive gamble thiough. Brereton could quite easily regress or get injured a la Dack. 

In our financial situation, I'd rather that we spent the money across the board on proven players who can make an instant difference.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Spending £7m on 'projects' is a massive gamble thiough. Brereton could quite easily regress or get injured a la Dack. 

In our financial situation, I'd rather that we spent the money across the board on proven players who can make an instant difference.

It's not that simple though. Big clubs spend 10s of millions and they fail at this.

The gamble in this instance paid off, so credit to the club and the manager 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not that simple though. Big clubs spend 10s of millions and they fail at this.

The gamble in this instance paid off, so credit to the club and the manager 

How has it paid off? We might sell him for a few million profit. that's it.

Looking at it holistically, the team is no better off as a result of this 'project'. We're still the same mid table plodders we were 4 years ago.

I'd argue that the money should have been spent on a number of players who could have improved the team in more than one area.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

It was a daft signing at the time. Gambling £7m on a young lad when we needed to strengthen other areas which has held us back for years.

Brereton's goalscoring feats may have redeemed the player but not the reckless signing. The only way it would is if his goals fire us into the Premier League, offset some of the debt and buy us some great players.

If we sell him none of that money will make it to the pitch.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

BONUS

Another Chilean commercial starring BBD, this time for Top, which is an underwear & clothing company.  

The advert is titled "Ben Brereton's Story".  Top is the brand name but the word "top" in chilean spanish also means "great" or "the best" or "wonderful".  One of many English-language influences on chilean spanish.

In the ad,  the narrator says:

"From a young age, 2 things were clear to Ben: that he would have a Top [ie, great] life and a great beard.

"One Christmas he received a gift that would change his life, and they would be inseperable.  Truly inseperable.

"Ben was destined to be Top [the best], not only due to his great talent but also to his super smile.

"One day he received a call from a far away place, where he found his roots [holding crockery/plate, which was his Chilean family's business] and the love of an entire country.

"There is no doubt:  Ben was born to be Top [the best]."

At the end, Ben himself voices "Siéntete cómodo, siéntete Top." Feel comfortable, feel Top [great].

For those not familiar with the Spanish Language, the word for beard is barba, so pretty easy to remember. The Gran Barba ( Great Beard) is a great nickname for him.

17 minutes ago, booth said:

It was a daft signing at the time. Gambling £7m on a young lad when we needed to strengthen other areas which has held us back for years.

Brereton's goalscoring feats may have redeemed the player but not the reckless signing. The only way it would is if his goals fire us into the Premier League, offset some of the debt and buy us some great players.

If we sell him none of that money will make it to the pitch.

The signing was typical really of what we have seen, under these owners. No matter who the manager is and no matter who appears to be the decision maker at Ewood, it always seem to a a front, for crazy things being done.

Most have failed, maybe Ben was turn into a successful piece of business, but these owners are certainly gambling, with the very future of our club.

Edited by lraC
Typo

24 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Looking at it holistically, the team is no better off as a result of this 'project'. We're still the same mid table plodders we were 4 years ago.

I'd argue that the money should have been spent on a number of players who could have improved the team in more than one area.

It has paid off because we currently have the top scorer in the division and will make a profit, potentially a large one. Making profit is literally the name of the game for a club like us. 

You are operating off the assumption that if we didn't sign Brereton we could have spread the 6 million around and become a force in the division? You are over estimating what 6 million would get you these days 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It has paid off because we currently have the top scorer in the division and will make a profit, potentially a large one. Making profit is literally the name of the game for a club like us. 

You are operating off the assumption that if we didn't sign Brereton we could have spread the 6 million around and become a force in the division? You are over estimating what 6 million would get you these days 

You could also say, that despite having the top scorer in the league, we currently sit eighth in the league. Any profit on Brereton, is pure speculation. I don't see how this comes under the brackets of, Paid off for the Rovers ? 

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

You could also say, that despite having the top scorer in the league, we currently sit eighth in the league. Any profit on Brereton, is pure speculation. I don't see how this comes under the brackets of, Paid off for the Rovers ? 

You don't think we will make a profit and you don't see how making a profit is of benefit to the club?

Ok then , fair enough 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It hasn't paid off yet, unless you put a bet on.

No one is operating on the assumption that Mowbray would have done better with the money because in his bizarro world, anything could and does happen. The point is, at that moment in time the team needed investment in other areas but Mowbray decided to take a gamble which has taken years to even approach paying off. It hasn't paid off because the club is none the better for it. It's still Tonyhog Day. His bizarre decisions are still echoing today.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

If he is our main goalscorer and his goals keep us away from trouble this year then his signing will have been worth more than just a few million profit.

100% in agreement it was too much money for a single young player for a club in our position, however spending the transfer fee across the board on 3 or 4 players means wages and 2 or 3 year contracts for for 3 or 4 players rather than one 

Brererton isn't on big money, he didnt come with a wage that a more experienced player would want or what 3 or 4 players would have cost us

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You don't think we will make a profit and you don't see how making a profit is of benefit to the club?

Ok then , fair enough 

Where in my post did I say that I don't think we will make a profit on Brereton, what I said was that due to the fact he hasn't been sold it is pure speculation. As for the second part of your made up statement. I give up.

4 minutes ago, booth said:

It hasn't paid off yet, unless you put a bet on.

No one is operating on the assumption that Mowbray would have done better with the money because in his bizarro world, anything could and does happen. The point is, at that moment in time the team needed investment in other areas but Mowbray decided to take a gamble which has taken years to even approach paying off. It hasn't paid off because the club is none the better for it. It's still Tonyhog Day. His bizarre decisions are still echoing today.

It has paid off though. He is playing super stuff for club and country and barring injury, he will now leave for a big fee. 

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

Where in my post did I say that I don't think we will make a profit on Brereton, what I said was that due to the fact he hasn't been sold it is pure speculation. As for the second part of your made up statement. I give up.

You said it's pure speculation that we will make a profit. Barring injury, we will make a profit and potentially a large one. It's safe to state this. Profit on a transfer is good and we look like we will at least double what was paid for him. He is the top scorer in the league.  Hence why the deal has worked out, eventually. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You said it's pure speculation that we will make a profit. Barring injury, we will make a profit and potentially a large one. It's safe to state this. Profit on a transfer is good and we look like we will at least double what was paid for him. Hence why the deal has worked out, eventually. 

You say barring injury, we will make a profit on Brereton. I would also add to that list. A loss of form, or running down his contract and leaving on a free. May I add this is not what I think will happen, it is pure speculation.

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

You say barring injury, we will make a profit on Brereton. I would also add to that list. A loss of form, or running down his contract and leaving on a free. May I add this is not what I think will happen, it is pure speculation.

He won't run down his deal, because if he doesn't sign he will be sold this summer. I bet it will be for more than Armstrong as well.  

He is a key member of our team now, top scorer in the league, an international footballer at a high level and an absolute superstar in Chile. The deal worked out.  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He won't run down his deal, because if he doesn't sign he will be sold this summer. I bet it will be for more than Armstrong as well.  

He is a key member of our team now, top scorer in the league, an international footballer at a high level and an absolute superstar in Chile. The deal worked out.  

I think he will go for big money. Thankfully we have the one year extension, otherwise I would be worrying, but think it will be £20 million plus, because of this and see January, as the likely point, when we cash in.

• Like 1

• Backroom

It ultimately comes down to how you define 'paid off'. In terms of becoming a strong part of our team this season, yes. In terms of resale for a higher value, not yet but a good chance of that happening. In terms of helping us get promoted, probably not even if he is sold for profit at the end. In terms of helping us avoid relegation this season there is an argument for that, as I'm not sure who would step up to replace his goals if he wasn't here. It just depends on how you define it which is going to be different for everyone. 

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

It ultimately comes down to how you define 'paid off'. In terms of becoming a strong part of our team this season, yes. In terms of resale for a higher value, not yet but a good chance of that happening. In terms of helping us get promoted, probably not even if he is sold for profit at the end. In terms of helping us avoid relegation this season there is an argument for that, as I'm not sure who would step up to replace his goals if he wasn't here. It just depends on how you define it which is going to be different for everyone. 

I think all the categories you mention though point to the transfer working out and being a success. The promotion stuff is really out of his hands, as is how his fee would potentially be reinvested. As an individual he is doing all he can to be a success and his performances and goals represent that. To me he has far more to his game than say Armstrong and as such could command a greater fee. 

It might have taken some time, but I don't anyone can point at the deal now and say it didn't work out. Even Forrest fans must concede we got the better deal at this stage, particularly after all the money they have squandered since. That certainly wasn't the view before the last few months, they no doubt thought they pulled our pants down. 

40 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'll ask the question again, this time with a caveat,

How has this deal worked out - as it currently stands - with no ifs and maybes - for Blackburn Rovers?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I'll ask the question again, this time with a caveat,

How has this deal worked out - as it currently stands - with no ifs and maybes - for Blackburn Rovers?

We signed a player to improve our starting 11 and we now have a unique player, crucial to our team, who is big , strong, travels well with the ball, plays off the left, but also scores goals. He is currently the top scorer for our team and in the division. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We signed a player to improve our starting 11 and we now have a unique player who is big , strong, travels well with the ball, plays off the left, but also scores goals. He is currently the top scorer for our team and in the division. 

You're happy to label the signing as 'working out', based on a dozen or so improved performances, despite him costing £7m (that's 7 MILLION), and being absolutely attrocious for 3 years. 

I call that a bad deal.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

You're happy to label the signing as 'working out', based on a dozen or so improved performances, despite him costing £7m (that's 7 MILLION), and being absolutely attrocious for 3 years. 

I call that a bad deal.

No, I'm basing it off what I see with my eyes at this current point in time. His stats back that up. The deal has worked out.  Again, you are over estimating what 6 or 7 million gets you these days. 

The time he has been here is irrelevant to the question of whether it has worked out, eventually. So I will ask you a question, if we signed him for £6 million last summer, would you say we had signed a good player and that the deal had worked out?  

If he scores 20 plus goals and leaves for 20 million , will it have worked out? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel