BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

3 minutes ago, booth said:

Signing two players, one for £7m and one a year later for £5m when we had a League 1 defence and a Championship budget was absolute lunacy.

The whole concept of buying with the aim to profit on your players is a nonsense when any returns are a relative blip compared to promotion money, and the owners are billionaires.

Exactly this.

2 minutes ago, booth said:

At the time of signing both players our "model" (we were told) was to gain promotion, not to develop young players to the detriment of the team, then sell them on when hopefully they get good. If you're seeking promotion, you sign players to improve the team, not to fatten them up to sell them on.

The very reason our model (if there is one) has become this is because of a scattershot transfer policy.

Signing two players, one for £7m and one a year later for £5m when we had a League 1 defence and a Championship budget was absolute lunacy.

The whole concept of buying with the aim to profit on your players is a nonsense when any returns are a relative blip compared to promotion money, and the owners are billionaires.

The Brereton transfer has turned out to be a success. 

If we spent that money differently, it could have worked out worse and alternatively, it's highly unlikely that it would have worked out with us being promoted. As I said though, that's a wider issue around management and signings. 

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The only metric of an individual transfer is if that player delivers or not. Saying spending the money differently would worked out better is fair enough, but it is hypothetical. 

If that's the only metric, then £7m has produced 19 goals in 3 and a bit seasons.

From your own metric, it hasn't paid off.

I wouldn't say spending the money would have worked out better (who could with Mad Tony at the helm), I'm saying spending £7m on a player that you're intending to develop, with a championship budget and a league 1 team is lunacy. No hypothesis because it happened.

As for your own hypothesis that if we'd signed him last season then would it have paid off? I'd agree with that, it would be a big win. But we didn't. We've been carrying him for several seasons whilst defensively having a right mare.

Edited by booth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, booth said:

If that's the only metric, then £7m has produced 19 goals in 3 and a bit seasons.

From your own metric, it hasn't paid off.

I wouldn't say spending the money would have worked out better (who could with Mad Tony at the helm), I'm saying spending £7m on a player that you're intending to develop, with a championship budget and a league 1 team is lunacy. No hypothesis because it happened.

As for your own hypothesis that if we'd signed him last season then would it have paid off? I'd agree with that, it would be a big win. But we didn't. We've been carrying him for several seasons whilst defensively having a right mare.

Again, I'll point out, young players develop , if he continues his current level of performance and output, nobody who wants to sign him will be look back at the last 3 seasons and use it as a reason to not sign him. 

I think we can agree it was a strange move at the time and that we had other areas we should have strengthened first, but I would see that as separate to whether the deal worked out ,  as things stand we now have a very useful asset on our hands 

35 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Again, I'll point out, young players develop , if he continues his current level of performance and output, nobody who wants to sign him will be look back at the last 3 seasons and use it as a reason to not sign him. 

I think we can agree it was a strange move at the time and that we had other areas we should have strengthened first, but I would see that as separate to whether the deal worked out ,  as things stand we now have a very useful asset on our hands 

Fair enough, but for me it's difficult to separate it considering our paper thin squad right now and lack of money.

Not blaming the player, blaming the manager and his silly journey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

That highlighted sentence suggests that you are trying to provoke somewhat, the issue wasn't unreasonably high standards, he looked out of place when he did feature, my personal expectations that season were just for him to contribute with a few goals and assists and look a threat, which he didn't. Nobody expected hat tricks. I have no recollection of him winning that award that you mention, indeed he started the season at a mid table Forest side unable to make the 18 man squad.

Ultimately, if a player costing such a sum wasn't close to being in the first 11, then as was the case, the question was should we have spent that money when we had much more pressing matters. Graham was player of the season and Dack was scoring goals with regularity so he certainly shouldn't have started ahead of them. We played a 4-2-3-1 which didn't suit him as much to play wide as the 4-3-3 does, Armstrong had just come off a very successful half season and we tended to play a "defensive winger" on the other side.

I agree with the 2nd paragraph completely, it seemed a daft signing at the time given our lack of cash and how we needed to invest in the defence. But at the end of the day Tony spent the money and should have played and managed him properly.

This was the forest award he won in his breakout season and the stats from his last season with Forest before he signed for us, got plenty of games. He played 600 and something league mins the first 2 seasons with us to give you an idea how little he played for us vs at forest.

https://www.lfe.org.uk/news/ben-brereton-crowned-lfe-championship-apprentice-of-the-year/

1967110578_Screenshot2021-10-14at15_52_50.thumb.png.650ec57df3d711ea8907042ed5d5b62d.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

Fair enough, but for me it's difficult to separate it considering our paper thin squad right now and lack of money.

Not blaming the player, blaming the manager and his silly journey.

I take your points,I'm just looking at the individual deal and I think compared to where things were looking like going with it, we are now in a good place. Although on the flip side, if he hadn't started playing so well, he probably would have signed a new deal! 

So what does Ben Brereton Díaz want?

Does he WANT to continue playing for Blackburn at all, regardless of whatever contract he is offered, or does he want to move on to another club?  I'm only asking because I don't know.  Maybe someone here does.

I don't mean to be overly dramatic, but one thing that needs to be considered is that the Ben Brereton of May 2021 is not the same man, let alone player, that he is now in October 2021.  He is a new man and a new player.  His rebranding of himself as Ben Brereton Díaz now is proof of that and indicates to me that the player also thinks of himself differently too.   

Up until this northern hemisphere summer (Copa América is played in winter from a southern perspective) he was just a young man from somewhere in England struggling to make it.  Now he has been catapulted to international fame as the entire Spanish [and Portuguese] speaking football world knows who Brereton Díaz is, not because he is a novelty anymore but because he scores goals and is a DIFFERENT player.  The consensus is that his value is going up and up for every ball he touches when he plays for Chile and his exploits for Blackburn Rovers as Brereton Díaz have not gone unnoticed.  He has also put Blackburn Rovers on the South American map, as only the Premiere League is followed by most.

Would someone whose professional and personal life (general good fortune) have changed so much in 6 months want to continue playing for the same team as Brereton or does Brereton Díaz want a new team to go with his new identity?  Regardless of what he has done in the past, he is having a wonderful present.

I would love to know what you, who have known him so long, think HE would want to do.

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, LordBaltimore said:

Does he WANT to continue playing for Blackburn at all, regardless of whatever contract he is offered, or does he want to move on to another club?  I'm only asking because I don't know.  Maybe someone here does.

I don't mean to be overly dramatic, but one thing that needs to be considered is that the Ben Brereton of May 2021 is not the same man, let alone player, that he is now in October 2021.  He is a new man and a new player.  His rebranding of himself as Ben Brereton Díaz now is proof of that and indicates to me that the player also thinks of himself differently too.   

Up until this northern hemisphere summer (Copa América is played in winter from a southern perspective) he was just a young man from somewhere in England struggling to make it.  Now he has been catapulted to international fame as the entire Spanish [and Portuguese] speaking football world knows who Brereton Díaz is, not because he is a novelty anymore but because he scores goals and is a DIFFERENT player.  The consensus is that his value is going up and up for every ball he touches when he plays for Chile and his exploits for Blackburn Rovers as Brereton Díaz have not gone unnoticed.  He has also put Blackburn Rovers on the South American map, as only the Premiere League is followed by most.

Would someone whose professional and personal life (general good fortune) have changed so much in 6 months want to continue playing for the same team as Brereton or does Brereton Díaz want a new team to go with his new identity?  Regardless of what he has done in the past, he is having a wonderful present.

I would love to know what you, who have known him so long, think HE would want to do.

I personally think he will sign a new contract with us. However, a footballers career is a short one and he is currently riding one hell of a wave. If a top team came in for him for a large fee I don't think anyone could blame him for taking that opportunity. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LordBaltimore said:

It depends. He is riding one hell of a wave. And he is looking good at the moment. He's confident and direct. However he does lack technique at times. The bubble could burst. I hope it doesn't. But if it did, then we are actually his level. I think it depends on how long the wave lasts. If it continues until the end of the season he will be off. If he begins to stutter in the new year then I could see interest in him going cold. At club level at least.

The summer we signed Ben we agreed a fee for Celina at City only for him to go to Swansea as they offered a far better wage than us.

We also tried to sign Luke Freeman from QPR only for him to join another club.

I don't know this to be fact but iv read in a few places that Brererton is on as little as 4k a week excluding bonuses, an experienced player costing 7 million would be want 5 or 6 times that at a minimum.

How much did Forest pay for Grabban?He will be on 30 a week away 

5 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

He wants to sign for his hometown club and complete two glorious homecomings in one year, of course 😉

Edited by PotterLog

• Backroom
4 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

He's a young professional footballer at semi top level. I'd expect him to head which ever direction offers more money and opportunity to play at highest level. Ideally, the best combination of the two.

Won't make me any less pissed if we lose a fortune on him and he goes on to smash it elsewhere. Won't blame him for it though. 

If I imagine he's a mate of mine asking for advice, and I took the blue/white specs off, I really don't like the thoughts that come to mind. 

5 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

I have no idea what he would want to do but staying at Rovers and taking the former Premier League champions back to where they belong after over a decade absence would be some story and only add to the growing legend of Brereton Diaz!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Miker said:

I have no idea what he would want to do but staying at Rovers and taking the former Premier League champions back to where they belong after over a decade absence would be some story and only add to the growing legend of Brereton Diaz!

Have we been taken over by Hollywood. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.