BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

21 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

I have read several places that Ben's performances have also been watched by many in Spain, specifically in Seville.  Here is an article from Spain regarding Spanish interest in BBD.

Ben Brereton Díaz, preparing to make a jump to Champion's League-bound Sevilla FC

https://www.estadiodeportivo.com/sevilla/2021/10/15/posible-once-sevilla-celta/360004.html

You can be sure they'd do a far better job of taking advantage of the marketing possibilities over there. Although his Englishness is probably a factor in the mania, so a Prem team could do a good job with it too if they're interested.

I haven't heard a sniff about anything we're trying to do to tap into this market which has suddenly opened up for us. Our tinpot CEO strikes again.

4 minutes ago, Silas said:

Spain would make perfect sense for Ben I just realised. 

If he's potentially going to play for Chile the next 10 years he'll want to get fluent in the language. 

Hadn't thought of that before. 

Could well be where he'd want to go. 

Probably be a good match in terms of football style/culture/approach as well. Mind you I can warn him he could learn to speak like a native in Castilian Spanish, he's still going to struggle when he gets to Chile 😃

Looking at a Forest forum and it seems that at the time of the transfer, their fans were disappointed he was going, even though he hadn't established himself in the team. They saw him as having potential as a striker, as yet, unfulfilled. It's notable that some faulted his tendency to dive, run with his head down and his decision-making, which, I believe, are still issues with him.

It seems as if, for England and Forest U23s, he played as a striker and scored a lot of goals. However, when played by Aitor Karanka in the Forest senior team, he was often on the wing, which, some say he struggled with and it affected his confidence. It's interesting to read that in some of the England youth team squad get-togethers, he was selected with the likes of Mason Mount, Hudson-Odoi, Reece James and Jadon Sancho. He won and finished joint top scorer at the U19s 2017 Euro championship in an England team featuring Mason Mount, Aaron Ramsdale and one, Tayo Edun.

I think England youth call ups (Adam Armstrong and Harry Chapman won international tournaments at youth level) can give players additional development opportunities, which makes it all the more disappointing that selection is not always based on merit. One would have thought that at least one of Rovers players Barnes, Cirino, Whitehall, Garrett and Burns might have got an appearance or two by now. (I haven't heard of any such call-ups, but I haven't paid that close attention, so might be wrong).

Edit: This would be the wrong thread but for all the attention Brereton is getting - the next contract to really, really worry about is Thomas Kaminski. He's far more important to our team and is surely on his way out but his valuation is decreasing with his contract expiry approaching. I hope the club are looking for a replacement.

Edited by riverholmes

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I think calling the U23s kids level, is a bit patronising.

Fair enough but it isn't anyway near Championship level.

I'm not saying Burns won't make it btw like I said he looks a decent prospect I just don't think he can be compared to Brereton yet.

As another poster pointed out Brereton was playing for England underage that alongside the fact he had made 50 championship appearances by 19 would suggest he was more highly though of as a young player than Burns is currently

• Backroom
47 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

Mind you I can warn him he could learn to speak like a native in Castilian Spanish, he's still going to struggle when he gets to Chile 

Anything would surely be a huge improvement on whatever level he speaks now. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You can be sure they'd do a far better job of taking advantage of the marketing possibilities over there. Although his Englishness is probably a factor in the mania, so a Prem team could do a good job with it too if they're interested.

I haven't heard a sniff about anything we're trying to do to tap into this market which has suddenly opened up for us. Our tinpot CEO strikes again.

It's a fair point. Genuinely, what is the club doing to try and take advantage of this huge commercial opportunity? Apart from producing a naff grey t-shirt, I can't think of anything else that has been done so far.

I'm seeing Chile fans online asking where they can get Brereton shirts from, fans asking how they can get tickets for Rovers games. There are so many potential opportunities out there for us on the back of this, but it seems like nothing is happening at our end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Internet (Twitter) shite vs reality. Same in politics shite on Twitter vs reality. I’d love thousands of them to come. They won’t. 

But I bet a fair few of them would pay a reasonable price to watch the streams if pointed in the right direction.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

But I bet a fair few of them would pay a reasonable price to watch the streams if pointed in the right direction.

I dont know how to watch Blackburn games here in the US but i would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for access.  So would many others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Internet (Twitter) shite vs reality. Same in politics shite on Twitter vs reality. I’d love thousands of them to come. They won’t. 

True, I understand that. I'm not expecting a large number to attend, but there does seem to be a lot of interest in Rovers games from South America. Our response to that interest is to do nothing, so it seems.

We really should be promoting the Rovers TV streams in that part of the world, with instructions laid out on how to purchase. I think we would sell quite a few at this moment in time.

57 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

Someone hook a brother up, you lot must have iFollow or something similar?

i looked into it and it looked promising.  then tucked at the bottom of the ifollow page i see this:

We are therefore unable to provide subscriptions to fans of AFC Bournemouth, Birmingham City, Blackburn Rovers, Blackpool, Bristol City, Cardiff City, Charlton Athletic, Derby County, Forest Green Rovers, Fulham, Harrogate Town, Leyton Orient, Middlesbrough, Nottingham Forest, Plymouth Argyle, QPR, Reading, Salford City, Sheffield United, Stoke City, Sunderland, Swansea City, West Bromwich Albion and Wigan Athletic. Please contact your club for more information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordBaltimore said:

I dont know how to watch Blackburn games here in the US but i would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for access.  So would many others.

You should be able to get it on the Rovers website. Not available in the UK as it takes away from bums on seats here, but living in most other countries you can.

We no longer use ifollow for this, Rovers are doing their 'own' now. As I say I think you should be able to find it on rovers.co.uk

3 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

i looked into it and it looked promising.  then tucked at the bottom of the ifollow page i see this:

We are therefore unable to provide subscriptions to fans of AFC Bournemouth, Birmingham City, Blackburn Rovers, Blackpool, Bristol City, Cardiff City, Charlton Athletic, Derby County, Forest Green Rovers, Fulham, Harrogate Town, Leyton Orient, Middlesbrough, Nottingham Forest, Plymouth Argyle, QPR, Reading, Salford City, Sheffield United, Stoke City, Sunderland, Swansea City, West Bromwich Albion and Wigan Athletic. Please contact your club for more information.

That's weird, I make that nearly every Championship side? I didn't think anywhere near that many Championship clubs had got rid of ifollow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

You should be able to get it on the Rovers website. Not available in the UK as it takes away from bums on seats here, but living in most other countries you can.

We no longer use ifollow for this, Rovers are doing their 'own' now. As I say I think you should be able to find it on rovers.co.uk

thanks for the tip.  we will see if it works.  unfortunately tomorrow my 3yr old has "soccer" 20mins before kickoff and i'll have to be mind his no-talent ass instead. 😕

• Like 3

Just now, LordBaltimore said:

thanks for the tip.  we will see if it works.  unfortunately tomorrow my 3yr old has "soccer" 20mins before kickoff and i'll have to be mind his no-talent ass instead. 😕

No worries. I just had a look, and when you're on the site, select Rovers TV. Depending on your device, I expect it will be one of the options at the top. Not all games are going to be available, eg if they're being broadcast by ESPN or someone, but I doubt that will be exclude many!

14 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

Yeah my team Stoke is on there too because we have our own “service”, although in actual fact I believe it’s basically the iFollow feed contracted out through the clubs - as far as I know every Championship club offers this, particularly to overseas viewers. You’ll have to join up to the Rovers version.

• Like 1

All of Benjamín's touches vs Venezuela.  I could do w/o the music but it is what it is....

BONUS

The entire stadium chanting "Dale Brereton!" [Go-on Brereton!] "Brereton! Brereton! Dale Brereton!"

The announcer says min 00:04-00:09 "It's crazy the amount of love the people have for the Blackburn footballer"

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

It's a fair point. Genuinely, what is the club doing to try and take advantage of this huge commercial opportunity? Apart from producing a naff grey t-shirt, I can't think of anything else that has been done so far.

I'm seeing Chile fans online asking where they can get Brereton shirts from, fans asking how they can get tickets for Rovers games. There are so many potential opportunities out there for us on the back of this, but it seems like nothing is happening at our end.

Let’s get together as fans and organise a Chile day, which would put Waggott to shame, if it worked. I am happy to start it on Twitter, as I speak decent Spanish. If I get enough backing on here, by way of a game to home in on and a promise of a few Retweets, I will give it a go.

Even if we only get a plane load, it will still embarrass the under achieving, marketing team at Ewood. 

Edited by lraC
Typo
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

All of Benjamín's touches vs Venezuela.  I could do w/o the music but it is what it is....

BONUS

The entire stadium chanting "Dale Brereton!" [Go-on Brereton!] "Brereton! Brereton! Dale Brereton!"

The announcer says min 00:04-00:09 "It's crazy the amount of love the people have for the Blackburn footballer"

Simply brilliant that. Love the commentator when BBD. Scores his goal. Can any Rovers fan watch this and not have a great big smile on their face?

Sonrier por Brereton otra vez.

Edited by lraC
Typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lraC said:

Let’s get together as fans and organise a Chile day, which would put Waggott to shame, if it worked. I am happy to start it on Twitter, as I speak decent Spanish. If I get enough backing on here, by way of a game to home in on and a promise of a few Retweets, I will give it a go.

Even if we only get a plane load, it will still embarrass the under achieving, marketing team at Ewood. 

It's a bit of a phenomenon that Rovers just can't see. I think I saw a comment from Waggott saying something about the cost of getting merchandise to Chile but that is all I have seen. Surely Macron must be interested in this and have clubs who wear their kit out there. There will also be lots of sports outlets who work in a commission.I

I see this as pretty much a free hit for Rovers but still they appear to be dawdling.

• Like 2

The effect joining the Chile national team has had on BB Díaz has been unreal. 10 goals in 11 games means he's already more than doubled his return for the previous 3 seasons combined. 2 goals in this international break will keep his confidence sky high. He's become the player he promised to be when he first joined and I wouldn't be surprised if he got a big move in January.

• Like 2