BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

nothing wrong with talking to BBD whether he wants to sign a new contract here or whether he wants to sign pre contract with Spanish club and leave next summer or want to leave in January for PL club. I still think he will move to Spain next summer with a club like Sevilla or Valencia 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

nothing wrong with talking to BBD whether he wants to sign a new contract here or whether he wants to sign pre contract with Spanish club and leave next summer or want to leave in January for PL club. I still think he will move to Spain next summer with a club like Sevilla or Valencia 

But it would be amazing if he showed a bit of loyalty to the club that paid his wages when he would have struggled to get in the San Marino side - let alone Chile. Not holding my breath though - even if we offered a big wage increase and reduced minimum fee.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J*B said:

I can’t find any reason for him to sign and I’m a Rovers fan

Best I can come up with...

Loyalty to a club who took a big financial risk on him (which they'll lose out on if he leaves for free), kept faith with him even when he couldn't finish his dinner for two seasons and was only 'decent' for the third. He is still probably getting offered a substantial pay increase here even if it won't be as much as elsewhere. A new manager in the building who has fresh ideas and has us in 6th place even though he hasn't been here long. None of these big rich clubs fancied him enough to stretch to even £10 million this summer (don't tell me about how 'well they could get him for free next summer' because only one club can do that..if they really did rate him they'd have been bidding at least 10-15 million and they didn't...he will likely be someone's bench option if they're signing him for free). It took him two years to start settling properly here, could there be a risk of a similar issue again, especially abroad? And he clearly loves it at the club, loves his teammates etc.

And no, I don't expect any or all of that combined to be close to enough for him to stay. The only way I see that we might keep him is if we somehow get promoted. Even that will hinge on him having not signed a pre-contract in January (even if we are 2nd in January, he has seen us drop out of the playoffs from there).

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, tomphil said:

Abbs is currently veering between the odd suspension on twitter/facebook 🤣

About time he got himself back on here he just needs to do as i do and keep out of the echo chamber !

He's a great lad and sorely missed in my opinion. You could never question his love for the club either.

• Like 3

On 03/10/2022 at 07:20, bluebruce said:

Best I can come up with...

Loyalty to a club who took a big financial risk on him (which they'll lose out on if he leaves for free), kept faith with him even when he couldn't finish his dinner for two seasons and was only 'decent' for the third. He is still probably getting offered a substantial pay increase here even if it won't be as much as elsewhere. A new manager in the building who has fresh ideas and has us in 6th place even though he hasn't been here long. None of these big rich clubs fancied him enough to stretch to even £10 million this summer (don't tell me about how 'well they could get him for free next summer' because only one club can do that..if they really did rate him they'd have been bidding at least 10-15 million and they didn't...he will likely be someone's bench option if they're signing him for free). It took him two years to start settling properly here, could there be a risk of a similar issue again, especially abroad? And he clearly loves it at the club, loves his teammates etc.

And no, I don't expect any or all of that combined to be close to enough for him to stay. The only way I see that we might keep him is if we somehow get promoted. Even that will hinge on him having not signed a pre-contract in January (even if we are 2nd in January, he has seen us drop out of the playoffs from there).

I’d say the odds of him signing on are about the same as ronaldinho and Zidan 10 years ago. 

Not when we are so skint we haven't and not on the back of 3 others walking for free either.

We'll survive but it's an absolute travesty and it's a 7 million quid of young talent that'll be replaced by someone a lot cheaper.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, yankfan said:

I’d say the odds of him signing on are about the same as ronaldinho and Zidan 10 years ago. 

I'd say they're worse than the odds of signing Ronaldinho were. We put a pretty hefty offer on the table by all accounts, and he went to a Brazilian side for what I'm sure I heard was less money. If he had just followed the money like most footballers, he would probably have signed here. Funnily enough he ended up suing Flamengo for not paying him for four months. There's a lot to be said against Venkys, but they'd have paid his wages.

With Brereton, our offer isn't going to be anywhere near the best money he gets.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rigger said:

If Diaz doesn't sign, so be it. We have lost better players than him in the past.

I can't remember ever losing our star player for free though. Let alone one who cost 6-7 million and in a strict FFP environment.

It's bad, no question.

I think the club is slightly unluckier in this case than with a couple of the others though. The window when he should've been tied down was towards the start of the season before last when he scored a couple but still looked raw, but you can sort of understand the decision not to. Who could've foreseen the level of and speed of his rise?

Unfortunately it is the modern game. Football is not immune to the toxicity that social media has brought into society. SM has largely replaced giving someone a slating in the boozer etc. But in more more extreme form due to the anonymous nature of it.

You can’t stop it, but you can hope that the match going support get behind said players - and they certainly do here.

2 hours ago, starscascade said:

I recently watched the BBD docu on sky. Tell you what you have to be careful what you say on here and the irony of some of the comments. Did you see the screen captures of people on here slagging him off? 

Bet those people have changed their usernames now ha ha!

He has his own sky documentary? Don't see any reason for anyone to change their username or feel embarrassed. He was poor for 2 seasons, it would have been bizarre beyond belief if nobody had given that opinion in that period. The only reason anybody might want to feel a bit squeamish is if they predicted he was absolutely never gonna make it. But even then, after two whole seasons of being poor, that wouldn't have been an entirely unreasonable conclusion to have come to.

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He has his own sky documentary? Don't see any reason for anyone to change their username or feel embarrassed. He was poor for 2 seasons, it would have been bizarre beyond belief if nobody had given that opinion in that period. The only reason anybody might want to feel a bit squeamish is if they predicted he was absolutely never gonna make it. But even then, after two whole seasons of being poor, that wouldn't have been an entirely unreasonable conclusion to have come to.

Yeah it’s on YouTube I think. It scrolled down showing everyone’s comments on the documentary. Then cut to the bit where he was in tears from getting subbed and booed against Birmingham and literally he was being raged at on Twitter. Had the last laugh. End of the day players are human and the backlash he got was nothing but bullying at the time. 

those seasons he wasn’t great he was in Graham’s shadow and being out on for about 5 minutes a game. Funnily enough like George Hurst is now( funny that he’s now getting the same stick)

21 minutes ago, starscascade said:

Yeah it’s on YouTube I think. It scrolled down showing everyone’s comments on the documentary. Then cut to the bit where he was in tears from getting subbed and booed against Birmingham and literally he was being raged at on Twitter. Had the last laugh. End of the day players are human and the backlash he got was nothing but bullying at the time. 

those seasons he wasn’t great he was in Graham’s shadow and being out on for about 5 minutes a game. Funnily enough like George Hurst is now( funny that he’s now getting the same stick)

That's all an immense exaggeration.

He started out with half an hour cameos for a while. That first season he only came on for 5 minutes or less on 4 occasions in his 28 appearances. He got half an hour or more on 10 occasions. He played 832 minutes total, equivalent to just over 9 full matches. The next season he came on for 5 minutes or less on 3 occasions, and 30+ minutes on 12 occasions (8 of which were 60+ minutes).

Almost nobody seems to be able to confirm he was widely booed against Birmingham. I thought that had been thoroughly debunked on here by now. If this is the mini documentary that was out last year I'm pretty sure that's just some judicious editing, a spurious claim, and nothing to back it up if I recall rightly. Twitter is just a general cess pool where people troll for fun. He got no 'backlash' and certainly wasn't bullied. I think he is on record thanking the fans for standing by him when he wasn't playing well, but I'd have to dig around to back that up.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, starscascade said:

Yeah it’s on YouTube I think. It scrolled down showing everyone’s comments on the documentary. Then cut to the bit where he was in tears from getting subbed and booed against Birmingham and literally he was being raged at on Twitter.

Can you see if you can find it, because the Birmingham story was debunked by the majority of fans that were there and has become an urban myth. I've not seen any documentary on Sky regarding BBD.

1 hour ago, starscascade said:

This myth about Birmingham needs putting to bed for once and all because it keeps getting regurgitated. He didn't get booed at all. There were cheers from an absolute minority of Rovers fans and the camera cut to him when he had his head in his hands disappointed with his performance. No tears just frustration. As well as being there to see it myself it was confirmed to me by somebody in the Technical Area that there were no tears

• Like 6

On 03/10/2022 at 22:41, LDRover said:

He's a great lad and sorely missed in my opinion. You could never question his love for the club either.

I am someone who grew up with Abbey, proper Rovers fans from the villages between Chorley and Blackburn. His love of Rovers cannot be doubted, he is open minded, intelligent but speaks from the heart and it is this that some just cannot understand and that is why in this world of wokedom he gets banned for absolutely nothing!