BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

19 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

There is a huge commercial opportunity here. South American fans are fanatical and would definitely purchase a Brereton Rovers shirt if given the chance. 

Merchandise geared towards that should be sold to Chileans or at least marketed there. I highly doubt it though. Well go after the totally wikeds of this world still. 

Ahahahaha.

This lot couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Imagine them jumping on this niche (but potentially lucrative) marketing opportunity.

20 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

There is a huge commercial opportunity here. South American fans are fanatical and would definitely purchase a Brereton Rovers shirt if given the chance. 

Merchandise geared towards that should be sold to Chileans or at least marketed there. I highly doubt it though. Well go after the totally wikeds of this world still. 

They haven’t seen him play yet 😉 

Honestly, you couldn’t make this stuff up. What’s next, Gallagher for Peru as he’s a big fan of Paddington Bear?

• Like 6

This is strange and awesome in equal measure. 

How the hell has this happened? Good luck to him though, I genuinely hope he does well for the Chile National team. 

And just because of this, I'll actually have an interest in a game I otherwise wouldn't have given a moments though to.

Congratulations to Brereton. I'm sure this will be a boost to his career but, I still don't see him developing as a top player, unless somehow he drastically improves. However, if he can stay in the Chile squad, this might be the difference between him having a good Championship career and drifting down the leagues, as I had anticipated.

I think it's no coincidence that we saw Bell play well with much more confidence in the final games of the season having been drafted into the Jamaica squad.

I think there has been a campaign going on behind the scenes for Brereton. I saw on some Youtube videos compilations of him that there were a lot of Chilean fans commenting and, evidently, aware of him. As he has not had an astounding career, I speculate that Chile are really struggling for players and have sunk lower than in recent history and/or a PR agent has been doing an effective campaign on his behalf.

Edited by riverholmes

Surprised that’s actually happened. Wouldn’t have had him down as being ready to play in highly competitive, feisty South American WC qualifiers. There’d be a partisan crowd there too normally.

Best of luck to him though, would be a great story if he could do well and help them qualify. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DE. said:

I wonder if he speaks Spanish. Better be brushing up on it if not!

That was my first thought. Be daunting enough meeting up with international teammates for the first time - let alone if you can barely say a word! Having travelled there, you’ll get out what you put in with Chileans (same with the other South American countries to be fair). 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

The more I think about it I’m shocked he’ll be an international for a decent ish team. He did really well for 6 months at the start of the first lockdown last April either side of that he’s looked like a pub player.

If he was upset by a few murmurs of discontent from the partisan rovers fans at St. Andrews good luck dealing with the South American’s if he flops for them. 

This is one of the craziest call ups ever 😂 So random. 

Only good for Rovers though. Imagine he scores against Argentina? You could probably add 3 million onto his transfer value. It's a good thing to have on your footballing CV. On the same field as Messi. Best of luck to him, what an opportunity

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Blimey they must be scraping the bottle of the barrel. If he gets a call up I think I should reinvestigate my parents and grandparents nationalities, as standards have really slipped it seems. 

That said it can't do him or us any harm. Best case scenario he does ok and we can sell him, if it doesn't meh it's no bother to us. The most undeserving Rovers call up since Ferris played for Northern Ireland. 

It says on Wikipedia his mother was born in the country.  Was she born there as she's Chilean or just born there because her family were on holiday there. If the latter then this is even more weird. I normally can't stand when other countries take English born players but with this one its quite fascinating 

2 hours ago, DE. said:

So does that mean Brereton becomes the second Chilean to play for Rovers? 

I wonder if he speaks Spanish. Better be brushing up on it if not!

I imagine he will have at least a smattering to be able to communicate with the maternal side of the family…hope so anyhow 😳

It's as bizarre a call up as any of us are likely to witness. Hope it goes well for him though. If he can score a few for them it can only be a good thing for us. I'm quite happy at the thought of there being more interest in Rovers from fans in Chile as a result of this.