3 hours ago, 47er said:

Any manager who couldn't spend £7M better than that shouldn't be within a hundred miles of a football club.

Any manager that spends £7m on a player then plays him out of position for his entire tenure at the club shouldn't be within a hundred miles of a football club.

The fact that Brereton has forced his way into the side and been a productive player in a role he's not suited for is a testament to him. 

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello all. Thought I'd register on here tonight as I'm a Stoke fan living in Chile for the past 15 years, following the local football all that time through thick and thin, completely bewildered by th

I suspect what’s happened here is as follows... Brereton has performed poorly, again, and been subbed off. A few people have made ironic cheers, maybe the odd couple have booed, and a few people

It's all happening!!!!

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Any manager that spends £7m on a player then plays him out of position for his entire tenure at the club shouldn't be within a hundred miles of a football club.

The fact that Brereton has forced his way into the side and been a productive player in a role he's not suited for is a testament to him. 

One of my question to Mowbray would be when you bought where did you see Brereton playing long term? cos its took him 2 years/seasons to find his best position which is a wide role in front 3. Never will be number 9 striker for me. 

But we should have signed his team mate Ben Osborn at the time along with Armstrong, Konsa or Egan then a Matt Smith type to replace or play instead of Graham in some games. 

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

One of my question to Mowbray would be when you bought where did you see Brereton playing long term? cos its took him 2 years/seasons to find his best position which is a wide role in front 3. Never will be number 9 striker for me. 

But we should have signed his team mate Ben Osborn at the time along with Armstrong, Konsa or Egan then a Matt Smith type to replace or play instead of Graham in some games. 

I agree with your question for Mowbray (would you believe the answer, I wouldn't). As for the rest it is an opinion, of which everybody has one. I don't agree with yours, but that is just my opinion. 

I always thought Mowbray had the 3 at the front style in mind as the plan was Dack would leave. DG would be phased out due to age and Armstrong is a natural left sided forward who can play in the middle also.

Of course then he bought Gallagher and Dack didn't get sold just injured. I think though the BB signing was probably a whim with that wide right role always in mind.

Even if AA leaves we'll still see Brereton wide right forward, Gallagher shoe horned in left wide forward and Dolan / loanee and god knows who else rotated in the middle.

Mind blowing way to go.

5 hours ago, rigger said:

I agree with your question for Mowbray (would you believe the answer, I wouldn't). As for the rest it is an opinion, of which everybody has one. I don't agree with yours, but that is just my opinion. 

What don't you agree with? The players suggested? Our priority in the last 3 summers is signing a good enough centre back to play next Lenihan and replace Mulgrew long term

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What don't you agree with? The players suggested? Our priority in the last 3 summers is signing a good enough centre back to play next Lenihan and replace Mulgrew long term

What do we do with last years marquee centre half signing ?

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What do we do with last years marquee centre half signing ?

If we signed a proper centre back in the 1st season after Promotion than we would have a long term replacement for Mu;lgrew. Then we wouldn't have need to sign Ayala. 

If The first two season recruitment defensively was done properly and some long term thinking and planning instead of these year loan of Tosin or signing a 1 year contract in Rodwell wouldn't have been needed. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Apart from the question for Mowbray, everything else you wrote.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

If we signed a proper centre back in the 1st season after Promotion than we would have a long term replacement for Mu;lgrew. Then we wouldn't have need to sign Ayala. 

If The first two season recruitment defensively was done properly and some long term thinking and planning instead of these year loan of Tosin or signing a 1 year contract in Rodwell wouldn't have been needed. 

Yes I agree. But the fact is that what you suggest was not put into practice. What we have to do is look forward and make the best use of the resorces that we already have. For me that includes using 2 of, Lenihan, Ayala, Carter, Magloire and Wharton, as the center-halves.

10 hours ago, rigger said:

Yes I agree. But the fact is that what you suggest was not put into practice. What we have to do is look forward and make the best use of the resorces that we already have. For me that includes using 2 of, Lenihan, Ayala, Carter, Magloire and Wharton, as the center-halves.

Unfortunately that’s where we are. I can’t see funds being made available much this summer and certainly not for another centre half.

To be honest If I were the chicken chokers I wouldn’t give Mowbray another penny.

13 hours ago, rigger said:

Under another manager I would be happy and somewhat excited by those options.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Unfortunately that’s where we are. I can’t see funds being made available much this summer and certainly not for another centre half.

To be honest If I were the chicken chokers I wouldn’t give Mowbray another penny.

I have never really understood that point of view. If the manager has lost the trust of the owners based on previous transfer indiscretions, then he shouldnt still be in a job. There cant be a middle ground where a manager continues but with limited money in case he blows it on shit again.

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I have never really understood that point of view. If the manager has lost the trust of the owners based on previous transfer indiscretions, then he shouldnt still be in a job. There cant be a middle ground where a manager continues but with limited money in case he blows it on shit again.

Oh yes there can.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Under another manager I would be happy and somewhat excited by those options.

Exactly this. Under Mowbray, those players will regress as most do. Under another manager with fresh eyes and ideas, who knows?

The young talent in our squad is crying out to be let off the leash by a Souness type.

I often even wonder if Dack and Armstrong have actually progressed less (despite their great seasons) than they otherwise would have with a different manager.

Edited by Mike E
Posted (edited)

Brereton watched from the Chile Men's National Team bench at the Santiago del Estero, northern Argentina, as the home team played out a 1-1 draw against Chile in a World Cup qualifier. Messi and Sanchez were the scorers in the first Argentina Men's National Team match since the death of Diego Maradona.

Some achievement for Brereton. He must be the envy of the Rovers squad.

Edited by riverholmes
35 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Brereton watched from the Chile Men's National Team bench at the Santiago del Estero, northern Argentina, as the home team played out a 1-1 draw against Chile in a World Cup qualifier. Messi and Sanchez were the scorers in the first Argentina Men's National Team match since the death of Diego Maradona.

Some achievement for Brereton. He must be the envy of the Rovers squad.

Can't tell if being sarcastic 🤔

I agree if you're not! 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Can't tell if being sarcastic 🤔

I agree if you're not! 

I didn't think he was mate. Sharing a pitch (albeit he didn't get on) with some of those players must have been an amazing experience for the lad.

I suppose, in many ways, Brereton has been fortunate to find himself there but, I'd still give him some credit for getting into the squad. I really have no idea if it is on merit, not knowing the quality of players available to their manager but it's a huge moment for him - probably, something he'll tell people in years to come. 

I still don't expect him to be more than a lower league player but this might give him confidence and open up opportunities - as, it may do for Amari'i Bell too, with Jamaica.

It's a slow burn with Ben but there's a cracker of a play in there. Just turned 22 and watching Messi on the pitch...ok, he didn't get on.

But the lad's got potential. He might not reach it, but it's strange that some want to write him off already. Why are some like that with youngsters? Give them a chance, it's not like they're a 35-year old free transfer or anything. They're obviously not going to be the finished article. 

32 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I’ve got a lovely image in my head of Ben ‘accidentally’ bumping into Messi in the tunnel and trying to chew the fat in his limited Spanish.

Fair play to the bloke.

Or trying to persuade Messi that the Rovers would be a good move for him. As we have got a genius for a manager.