BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

The idea of Brereton as the main man through the middle frightens me to death. I think he is the one player suited to Mowbray’s preferred system and particularly at the start of the season he looked a real outlet. I think his unorthodox but effective running with the ball is his strength. I don’t think he will ever have the end product to justify his fee though.

I’m not that up on world football these days, but I’d have thought he was miles away from being of a standard to play for Chile. I read some comments from their manager and it seemed his height was a factor... in all honesty I think his inclusion was more to do with the buzz on social media than merit. Still, will be a good experience and should aid his development. However, if there is an additional fee due to Forest if he gets a cap I’d really rather he didn’t get his token appearance.

The Chile coach is going to be disappointed if he’s expecting Ben to dominate in the air for them. He’s another 6ft 4ins guy that jumps about 5ft 10 ins.

• Like 2

Seems really shitty for them to drag him half way across the globe to not give him a single minute. Some positives from the trip over course but a little harsh.

53 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Seems really shitty for them to drag him half way across the globe to not give him a single minute. Some positives from the trip over course but a little harsh.

The games were World Cup qualifiers not charity matches. The manager in hugely important games is hardly going to say 'you've travelled a long way so I'll give you a few minutes'. 

• Like 4

Looks like the Mowbray philosophy of "must give everyone minutes" has rubbed off onto our fans. Knew it would happen eventually.

Both Brereton and the Chile management I'm sure would have found the whole thing beneficial to learn more about each other.

Plus, it certainly beats spending time in Stoke-On-Trent if that was original plan.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The games were World Cup qualifiers not charity matches. The manager in hugely important games is hardly going to say 'you've travelled a long way so I'll give you a few minutes'. 

I'm not saying they should give charity. I'm saying it's harsh to take a player that you clearly aren't going to give minutes to.

13 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Looks like the Mowbray philosophy of "must give everyone minutes" has rubbed off onto our fans. Knew it would happen eventually.

Both Brereton and the Chile management I'm sure would have found the whole thing beneficial to learn more about each other.

Plus, it certainly beats spending time in Stoke-On-Trent if that was original plan.

I was saying they shouldn't have taken him if he isn't good enough - not that he must play.

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If he has an issue with "being dragged half way across the globe to not give him a minute" then maybe international football is not for him. Can't be expected to be given minutes purely because he travelled, all the players did, a number from Europe.

I just find it odd that you'd call up a player and let them travel over from England if you've no intention of starting him. Unless he severely unimpressed them in training perhaps I don't know. Just don't take him next time if he isn't good enough

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I'm not saying they should give charity. I'm saying it's harsh to take a player that you clearly aren't going to give minutes to.

Why is it?

Surely the point was to take him over there to integrate with the group and have a good close look at him for a couple of weeks or so?

Plenty of international managers take squads of 22/23 to games and don't use some of them.

The whole experience for Ben will have been beneficial despite not getting any minutes IMO.

• Like 4

How do you know he wasn’t planning to give him minutes? The Europe angle doesn’t come into it as loads of South American international players are over here.

A fair few of England’s squad won’t get on the pitch in the Euros. Closer to home Lenihan usually gets called up but often doesn’t get minutes for Ireland, that’s just international football.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

I just find it odd that you'd call up a player and let them travel over from England if you've no intention of starting him. Unless he severely unimpressed them in training perhaps I don't know. Just don't take him next time if he isn't good enough

The travel is an irrelevance, indeed if it is an issue then obviously dont declare yourself for a country so far away. An international manager cant and shouldnt factor that into their thinking.

The manager wont know if he isnt good enough, and indeed a qualifier is perhaps not the time for experimentation, but he will have at least seen him in training. The whole squad never features during an international qualifying break, but the players who dont appear cant and shouldnt feel like they needn't have bothered.

Sorry Alexis, I know you have travelled from Italy, but Ben has travelled a long way too so I'd better not waste his time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

The Europe angle doesn’t come into it as loads of South American international players are over here.

Not many get called up from European leagues and travel over to South America to not play a minute of football. I find it odd that they'd call him up if he's not good enough

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Sorry Alexis, I know you have travelled from Italy, but Ben has travelled a long way too so I'd better not waste his time.

I don't really think that's the point I was making. I find it odd he was called up more than anything.

26 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Surely he was there to cover injuries. And I know this is now alien to Rovers supporters, but maybe the manager had a plan B, but he chose not to use it ?

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Not many get called up from European leagues and travel over to South America to not play a minute of football. I find it odd that they'd call him up if he's not good enough

But again, even if that's the case, how would they know he isn't good enough unless they take him over and closely watch him in training for two weeks beforehand?

Or should they be using "data" to see if he is good enough rather than seeing him up close with there own eyes?

37 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I don't think Mowbray does that. He barely played Brereton for literally years 

Generally an odd critique of the manager. Is it a bad thing to give players minutes? Seems some fans are now looking for negatives about the manager in odd places. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

19 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It does happen though. 

He mustn't be performing in training. If he was, he would be playing. 

32 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Just this week it has happened to Vinicius Jr, Felipe & Renan Lodi for Brazil. For Argentina this week it happened to Domínguez, Buendia (who didn't even make the bench), Pezzella,  Musso, Joaquin Correa, Guido Rodriguez & Alejandro Gomez & Aguero. For Uruguay it happened to Arajuo and Coates. For Colombia it happened to Cuesta & Perez. And for Bolivia it happened to Jaume Cuéllar.  

Also bare in mind the Copa America starts this weekend and the squads will be named for that this week and given the fact that Brereton has been in the squad it suggests that if he has impressed enough in training he will be part of a major international tournament which even just a few weeks ago would have been beyond his wildest dreams.

• Like 3

To even have a player in the Copa America is good news. Whether or not he plays is irrelevant - he will be about world class players for a few weeks. The rest of the players are out on holiday now so at least he’ll be “on the grass” and hopefully picking up some South American flair and passion!! 

Either way, he has a long way to go in this sport, but his inclusion in Chile is a further positive to what has been a better year for Ben. He’s quite an interesting character really. I do really hope he makes a player eventually. 

It is a funny old world. If you asked me a year ago who I’d prefer to make it out of SG or BB it would have been Gally. Now I’ve almost given up hope on that lad but see something in Brereton. Whether or not that comes out is another matter. 

• Like 5