19 minutes ago, rigger said:

Surely he was there to cover injuries.

At last. The elephant in the room has been seen.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello all. Thought I'd register on here tonight as I'm a Stoke fan living in Chile for the past 15 years, following the local football all that time through thick and thin, completely bewildered by th

I suspect what’s happened here is as follows... Brereton has performed poorly, again, and been subbed off. A few people have made ironic cheers, maybe the odd couple have booed, and a few people

It's all happening!!!!

Posted Images

Chile have 4 Copa America fixtures in June.

I'm assuming BB is in the squad for those so plenty of time.

On the other hand maybe they have seen him in training and not just the YouTube clips ......

32 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Not many get called up from European leagues and travel over to South America to not play a minute of football. I find it odd that they'd call him up if he's not good enough

Just this week it has happened to Vinicius Jr, Felipe & Renan Lodi for Brazil. For Argentina this week it happened to Domínguez, Buendia (who didn't even make the bench), Pezzella,  Musso, Joaquin Correa, Guido Rodriguez & Alejandro Gomez & Aguero. For Uruguay it happened to Arajuo and Coates. For Colombia it happened to Cuesta & Perez. And for Bolivia it happened to Jaume Cuéllar.  

Also bare in mind the Copa America starts this weekend and the squads will be named for that this week and given the fact that Brereton has been in the squad it suggests that if he has impressed enough in training he will be part of a major international tournament which even just a few weeks ago would have been beyond his wildest dreams.

To even have a player in the Copa America is good news. Whether or not he plays is irrelevant - he will be about world class players for a few weeks. The rest of the players are out on holiday now so at least he’ll be “on the grass” and hopefully picking up some South American flair and passion!! 

Either way, he has a long way to go in this sport, but his inclusion in Chile is a further positive to what has been a better year for Ben. He’s quite an interesting character really. I do really hope he makes a player eventually. 

It is a funny old world. If you asked me a year ago who I’d prefer to make it out of SG or BB it would have been Gally. Now I’ve almost given up hope on that lad but see something in Brereton. Whether or not that comes out is another matter. 

26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes it is. He's not performing good enough in training to get in the starting 11. Pretty simple. 

Who is he competing against ? Alexis Sanchez, then I would agree Ben is not good enough to replace him. To me that is not  a problem. Pretty simple.

14 hours ago, rigger said:

Who is he competing against ? Alexis Sanchez, then I would agree Ben is not good enough to replace him. To me that is not  a problem. Pretty simple.

Never said it was a problem. Just stated the fact and you got defensive for some reason. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Wonder if he can speak any Spanish. I bet its quite an awkward prospect being called up to a national team where you cant even speak the language of all your team mates. 

Just now, DE. said:

I think it was mentioned his mother is Chilean, so I assume he has enough of an understanding to get by. 

Yeah I was just about to post similar. He will be able to speak enough Spanish to get by one would imagine.

2 hours ago, benhben said:

Wonder if he can speak any Spanish. I bet its quite an awkward prospect being called up to a national team where you cant even speak the language of all your team mates. 

After listening to Mowbray, he will be fluent in bullshit.

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I think it was mentioned his mother is Chilean, so I assume he has enough of an understanding to get by. 

Having seen him in a few videos with Bradley Dack, the lad struggles to speak English never mind Spanish.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Having seen him in a few videos with Bradley Dack, the lad struggles to speak English never mind Spanish.

He’s been having Spanish lessons for the past few months ever since he decided to represent Chile. 

I don’t think it’s an issue he’s gone out there and not played. He’s a back up option, which is acceptable when he’s behind Alexis Sanchez. For all they knew Alexis would get injured in training. It’s a competitive game, it’s like Ollie Watkins is only playing for England in the Euros if Harry Kane gets injured. 

I can't see him getting many minutes as that is a strong squad which Chile have selected. But it will still be a great experience for the lad to be part of a major international tournament.

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I can't see him getting many minutes as that is a strong squad which Chile have selected. But it will still be a great experience for the lad to be part of a major international tournament.

Exactly .. superb experience for young Mr. Diaz ..

'Probably come back injured' ..STOP IT H! STOP IT! ..going into full blown BRFCS negative mode there ..!!! 

Well done Ben ..all rooting for ya !

This experience will do him good although after the last year we've had and the knocks he's had maybe a rest would've been better.

Whilst he's with them though perish the thought a manager might know what to do with him.