BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Maybe it's easy to sing his praise right after a career highlight, but I overall thought he was a true bright spot for the team last year. I think one of the turning points of our season was his early Dec injury and then struggling to get back into form when he did return (for whatever reason he was often a sub during that Feb dip, whether due to lingering injury or maybe he was just playing poorly...)

Unlike Gallagher, I can also see the merits of keeping him on the wing. His defensive work rate and speed seem to go underrated. I can't recall the exact game, I think later in the year, but there was a moment where he was running back at an astonishing pace... I wish I had a clip of it. Also has that ability to run at almost 100% with the ball stuck to his foot.

I'll happily admit his shooting needs work (that Watford strike aside!) and grumbles about his transfer fee are still warranted, but he still only just turned 22. Some seem hung up on his early struggles but I think his future is still plenty bright (and the Chilean national team's hierarchy seem to agree!)

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Chuffed for the lad. Just watched his cameo on iplayer and he really impressed. Playing (& training) at that level is only going to help his club form and confidence. Nice to have something to be positive about for a change.

I imagine ToMo would have been sat there watching with pen and notepad highlighting things he needs to knock out of him when he gets him back to training.

• Like 6

A great moment from the lad that I'm sure he will never forget and a good job he didn't take the same attitude as some on here and throw his toys out the pram after spending 2 games on the bench. He did ok when he came on for a quarter of an hour or so in what wasn't an easy game to get into as like most Chile games in was a very bitty game. I also though that it was interesting that after watching him train for 2 weeks Lasarte played him through the middle whereas Mowbray in 3 years has barely played him there at all.

2 hours ago, CD_93 said:

This happened, right? It was late and I was tired but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a dream.

E36NzE6XMAIQZSd.jpg

Best picture so far, one for Brereton’s family album. A moment to savour for any footballer.

• Like 2

Very peculiar story but interesting to see how this comes back to his Rovers career. Doubt that hes done loads to attract other suitors but with a year left on his deal, will he want to sign any longer? Will these breaks hinder him or help him?

I must say and this may be me being miserable, hes a big money signing who has done very little over a 3 year period, obvious improvement last year granted, but the "we couldn't be more proud" nonsense on twitter from the club seems over the top to me.

The Chile angle obviously provides the mystique. I think Keith Andrews has shared an international pitch with Messi!

Looking forward to our new Chilean International signing Brereton Diaz playing for us next season! From the highlights I've seen, he looked like one of their brighter players. 

It's only going to help him playing for the national team. He'll come back with that little bit of arrogance that you sometimes need to be a good player. If nothing else, it adds a larger price tag on his head, no doubt about that. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Very peculiar story but interesting to see how this comes back to his Rovers career. Doubt that hes done loads to attract other suitors but with a year left on his deal, will he want to sign any longer? Will these breaks hinder him or help him?

I must say and this may be me being miserable, hes a big money signing who has done very little over a 3 year period, obvious improvement last year granted, but the "we couldn't be more proud" nonsense on twitter from the club seems over the top to me.

The Chile angle obviously provides the mystique. I think Keith Andrews has shared an international pitch with Messi!

I think it is. Cheer up!

He came to us with bags of potential, hasn't warranted his price tag when playing for us, then has a decent debut for Chile with positive reviews in the press. I've been scratching my head trying to think of the one variable that could cause that pattern of events 🤔🤔🤔

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

He came to us with bags of potential, hasn't warranted his price tag when playing for us, then has a decent debut for Chile with positive reviews in the press. I've been scratching my head trying to think of the one variable that could cause that pattern of events 🤔🤔🤔

Yeah, exactly. Not much point talking about his experience with Chile helping us out because the lad will be Mowbrayed as soon as he returns. Assuming he moves on soon I'm sure his international involvement will benefit any team with a half-decent manager, but it won't be us as our owners are idiots and our manager is a complete dope. 

12 minutes ago, Jpath19 said:

I’m not sure what my answer would be to this question but if Rovers were offered £6-7m for Ben today, would you want Rovers to bite their hands off or want him to stay?

Would take half of that personally which is still a decent amount and more than I suspect that he would generate. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Giant said:

The Copa America is always a good watch, most of the countries dislike each other and it shows in the games. Loads of juicy incidents last night, but BB Diaz had a smashing 20 minutes on the pitch. I reckon he’ll start a game soon. 

Loving the name B. B. Diaz.  Must be a song we can use to fit that into.

45 minutes ago, Jpath19 said:

I’m not sure what my answer would be to this question but if Rovers were offered £6-7m for Ben today, would you want Rovers to bite their hands off or want him to stay?

If we got 7million, would it all be reinvested? Not sure. Would it be reinvested wisely, not at all. We'd buy another striker to take his place on the wing. I think I'd rather take a punt on this experience giving him a bit of confidence and him benefiting from training and playing with better players and him having a decent season.

55 minutes ago, Jpath19 said:

Bite the hand off - surely? 

9 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

If Ben left on a free, with the exception of the monumental cock up for the transfer fee, would anyone really be that arsed on ability. If he left tomorrow I wouldn’t be fussed. 

On a free no way. Mainly because we saw flashes this season and like other players, has been mightily mismanaged by TM. I would like to see what a fresh manager would do with him. Plus, I would not trust TM with getting in anyone better and with AA likely to go too - we would be well short in the forward areas.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

If Ben left on a free, with the exception of the monumental cock up for the transfer fee, would anyone really be that arsed on ability. If he left tomorrow I wouldn’t be fussed. 

Even if we assume he had been signed on a free, yes I'd be unhappy to lose him on a free. He was pretty good for most of the last season and we missed him when he was injured. Whilst he's not worth 7 million as yet (and never should have been bought for that at the time even if he goes on to be worth 20 million), he is still worth money and still a useful member of the first team. With everyone we currently have fully fit, he starts for me.

Fortunately even if his contract runs down, then as long as we offer him a new one on the same terms I think we would be eligible for compo. I think he would just about be the right age for that. Given what we paid for him, I expect the compo would be pretty high and therefore clubs might be put off trying to snatch him anyway.

• Like 3

We're scarily close to seeing how he performs as our main man up front (assuming Armstrong leaves this summer). Regardless of what has come before (form wise, goal return, etc), we can't afford to lose him on the cheap at the moment. 

I'd be offering him a new contract this summer to protect our investment and seeing how he gets on next season. 

• Like 5