Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton


Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Jpath19 said:

I’m not sure what my answer would be to this question but if Rovers were offered £6-7m for Ben today, would you want Rovers to bite their hands off or want him to stay?

If we got 7million, would it all be reinvested? Not sure. Would it be reinvested wisely, not at all. We'd buy another striker to take his place on the wing. I think I'd rather take a punt on this experience giving him a bit of confidence and him benefiting from training and playing with better players and him having a decent season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Jpath19 said:

I’m not sure what my answer would be to this question but if Rovers were offered £6-7m for Ben today, would you want Rovers to bite their hands off or want him to stay?

Bite the hand off - surely? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

If Ben left on a free, with the exception of the monumental cock up for the transfer fee, would anyone really be that arsed on ability.

Yes. Just when things are starting to happen for him and his confidence seems to be rising, it would be a kick in the balls to have gone through what we have with him for three years only for him to leave and be ready-made for another club. That's if he progresses, but I think he will kick on from here.

I wonder if we now need to pay fees to Forest now that Ben has been capped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

If Ben left on a free, with the exception of the monumental cock up for the transfer fee, would anyone really be that arsed on ability. If he left tomorrow I wouldn’t be fussed. 

On a free no way. Mainly because we saw flashes this season and like other players, has been mightily mismanaged by TM. I would like to see what a fresh manager would do with him. Plus, I would not trust TM with getting in anyone better and with AA likely to go too - we would be well short in the forward areas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

If Ben left on a free, with the exception of the monumental cock up for the transfer fee, would anyone really be that arsed on ability. If he left tomorrow I wouldn’t be fussed. 

Even if we assume he had been signed on a free, yes I'd be unhappy to lose him on a free. He was pretty good for most of the last season and we missed him when he was injured. Whilst he's not worth 7 million as yet (and never should have been bought for that at the time even if he goes on to be worth 20 million), he is still worth money and still a useful member of the first team. With everyone we currently have fully fit, he starts for me.

Fortunately even if his contract runs down, then as long as we offer him a new one on the same terms I think we would be eligible for compo. I think he would just about be the right age for that. Given what we paid for him, I expect the compo would be pretty high and therefore clubs might be put off trying to snatch him anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're scarily close to seeing how he performs as our main man up front (assuming Armstrong leaves this summer). Regardless of what has come before (form wise, goal return, etc), we can't afford to lose him on the cheap at the moment. 

I'd be offering him a new contract this summer to protect our investment and seeing how he gets on next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are the odds on Brentford coming in for him this summer after making a massive profit on the sale of Ivan Toney? And BB Diaz keeping them up in the Prem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bazza said:

What are the odds on Brentford coming in for him this summer after making a massive profit on the sale of Ivan Toney? And BB Diaz keeping them up in the Prem?

About the same as Mowbray and Waggot resigning tomorrow with a statement that Tony knows playing 6 ft 5 strikers on the wing is stupid but he just can't help himself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, bluebruce said:

 Whilst he's not worth 7 million as yet (and never should have been bought for that at the time even if he goes on to be worth 20 million)

Just specifically on this point- how could anyone suggest he wasn’t a good investment if he’s eventually worth more than we paid?

Surely that’s just being stubborn about the original issue you had with his transfer fee?

Whilst id agree, there’s still a long way to go to justify or reach value for that cash - wouldn’t all of us accept we got it completely wrong if he plays centre forward, bags a hatful of goals and moves for a bigger fee?

I also note that he’s played more minutes as a central striker for Chile in a 10 Minute cameo than he has in 3 seasons for us.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Backroom

I just love this whole scenario it just makes me smile, I’ve never been overly convinced even when he plays well he seems to rarely make true contact but he’s clearly getting better. 
 

All that aside he seems a lovely, goofy lad and this is just a brilliant story and people are embracing it on both continents.

 

CHI CHI CHI LE LE VIVA CHILE! 🇨🇱🇨🇱🇨🇱

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JBiz said:

Just specifically on this point- how could anyone suggest he wasn’t a good investment if he’s eventually worth more than we paid?

Surely that’s just being stubborn about the original issue you had with his transfer fee?

Whilst id agree, there’s still a long way to go to justify or reach value for that cash - wouldn’t all of us accept we got it completely wrong if he plays centre forward, bags a hatful of goals and moves for a bigger fee?

I also note that he’s played more minutes as a central striker for Chile in a 10 Minute cameo than he has in 3 seasons for us.

 

Don't ignore transfer fee inflation will you JBiz? If he's still got 2 legs he's going to cost, even now, with all this publicity!

However I have no idea whether we'll get more than £7M  eventually or not. If we do it won't be getting our money back in real terms.

Edited by 47er
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JBiz said:

Just specifically on this point- how could anyone suggest he wasn’t a good investment if he’s eventually worth more than we paid?

Surely that’s just being stubborn about the original issue you had with his transfer fee?

Whilst id agree, there’s still a long way to go to justify or reach value for that cash - wouldn’t all of us accept we got it completely wrong if he plays centre forward, bags a hatful of goals and moves for a bigger fee?

I also note that he’s played more minutes as a central striker for Chile in a 10 Minute cameo than he has in 3 seasons for us.

 

Because we are not a club that can afford to spend 7 million pounds on a player and wait 2 years for him to start earning the shirt, even if we make a profit somewhere down the line. That 7 million invested properly at the time may have been enough to get us into genuine playoff contention before now. Then again under this manager, maybe it doesn't matter how we spent it.

Any future fee would have to be ludicrous, upwards of 20 million, before I'd be willing to reconsider that maybe it was a good move when everything was factored in. This assuming we didn't stick a nice sell on fee in there for Forest, which would be very like us...

Or of course, if he fired us to promotion. Either scenario is fantasy-land in my view though.

Edited by bluebruce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Because we are not a club that can afford to spend 7 million pounds on a player and wait 2 years for him to start earning the shirt, even if we make a profit somewhere down the line. That 7 million invested properly at the time may have been enough to get us into genuine playoff contention before now. Then again under this manager, maybe it doesn't matter how we spent it.

Any future fee would have to be ludicrous, upwards of 20 million, before I'd be willing to reconsider that maybe it was a good move when everything was factored in. This assuming we didn't stick a nice sell on fee in there for Forest, which would be very like us...

Or of course, if he fired us to promotion. Either scenario is fantasy-land in my view though.

I accept that notion - possibly the biggest issue TM and his team have caused, for the Kaminski, Dack and the AA bargains, we could’ve bought 10 players for both Gally and Breregol and made more impact on our whole team immediately. Easy in hindsight however, and I don’t think the tactics always being 1 central player has helped.

If he’s sold for 10m though, it’s money going back into the club at least. If he’s walking for free next year, it would be a scandal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, JBiz said:

I accept that notion - possibly the biggest issue TM and his team have caused, for the Kaminski, Dack and the AA bargains, we could’ve bought 10 players for both Gally and Breregol and made more impact on our whole team immediately. Easy in hindsight however, and I don’t think the tactics always being 1 central player has helped.

If he’s sold for 10m though, it’s money going back into the club at least. If he’s walking for free next year, it would be a scandal.

If only it was that simple! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If only it was that simple! 

Ipswich tried that approach in 18/19 and finished dead last. They hired the Shrewsbury manager who ran us close when we were promoted. He went on a spending spree in League One bringing in the likes of Joe Nolan, Gwion Edwards, Kayden Jackson, Elliis Harrison etc. Breo was not worth the money, but scattergun approach is dangerous thing as well.

 

image.png.a0010f203866e6a37c11d4431c326ab8.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, briansol said:

Ipswich tried that approach in 18/19 and finished dead last. They hired the Shrewsbury manager who ran us close when we were promoted. He went on a spending spree in League One bringing in the likes of Joe Nolan, Gwion Edwards, Kayden Jackson, Elliis Harrison etc. Breo was not worth the money, but scattergun approach is dangerous thing as well.

 

image.png.a0010f203866e6a37c11d4431c326ab8.png

Don't see any of those boys in the Copa America 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll take a modicum of credit for that Herbie. The journalist emailed me a couple of days ago (my email is on the club website) and I pointed him in the direction of brfcs for some comments from fans about his debut.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If only it was that simple! 

If only - I think sometimes that’s the issue with BRFCS, expectations are a little bit out of align with reality. We’re miles behind with wages - so it’s never going to be first choice every time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, briansol said:

Ipswich tried that approach in 18/19 and finished dead last. They hired the Shrewsbury manager who ran us close when we were promoted. He went on a spending spree in League One bringing in the likes of Joe Nolan, Gwion Edwards, Kayden Jackson, Elliis Harrison etc. Breo was not worth the money, but scattergun approach is dangerous thing as well.

 

image.png.a0010f203866e6a37c11d4431c326ab8.png

Hardly adds up to 12 million though does it? 4 mil tops.

It was clear the ex Shrewsbury boss was out of his depth anyway. Buying up a team of L1 players - which surprisingly got relegated to L1. 

Think the original point was that we could have got 10 players for both BB and SG which could have proved better value in the end. Would not be be happy with 8 of those coming from a lower league than the club was in.

Edited by JacknOry
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Hardly adds up to 12 million though does it? 4 mil tops.

It was clear the ex Shrewsbury boss was out of his depth anyway. Buying up a team of L1 players - which surprisingly got relegated to L1. 

Think the original point was that we could have got 10 players for both BB and SG which could have proved better value in the end. Would not be be happy with 8 of those coming from a lower league than the club was in.

Even if it’s 5 players - we could’ve signed a new left and goalkeeper and striker with the Brererton cash, then another centreback and a whatever else for the Gally cash.

I personally think they probably tried to do this but when targets fell away they did the Hyndburn council February/March roadworks trick and spent all their budget so it doesn’t get cut the year after…!

One issue TM and the team can’t deny - it would be a hell of a lot easier to attract better players if we finished higher up the league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JBiz said:

Even if it’s 5 players - we could’ve signed a new left and goalkeeper and striker with the Brererton cash, then another centreback and a whatever else for the Gally cash.

I personally think they probably tried to do this but when targets fell away they did the Hyndburn council February/March roadworks trick and spent all their budget so it doesn’t get cut the year after…!

One issue TM and the team can’t deny - it would be a hell of a lot easier to attract better players if we finished higher up the league. 

Still think the aim was to splash out on a striker that season. We had Assombolonga linked, Gallagher was also linked the season before we got him - think even Bamford was approached. Remember all sorts of sob stories about not being able to compete with wages etc. Targets indeed fell away and we had the money burning a hole in our pocket so stumped up for the young Brereton who would not have been on insane wages but was yet to prove himself.

Most of us knew defense should have been the priority and would much rather have spread that cash around on 3 or 4 players. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.