BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

I feel like he owes us and should sign a new contract given he's been a real slow burner so far.

Having said that I've seen some encouraging signs with him last season and feel that next season could potentially be a big one for him.  

Funny how that £7m Mowbray “wasted” on Brereton seems to have been conveniently forgotten. Now it’s tie him to a long term deal , he’s worth more than AA. 
Just maybe he was bought as a 20 year old kid with potential, and that potential is starting to be realised. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Funny how that £7m Mowbray “wasted” on Brereton seems to have been conveniently forgotten. Now it’s tie him to a long term deal , he’s worth more than AA. 
Just maybe he was bought as a 20 year old kid with potential, and that potential is starting to be realised. 

He's scored one goal on the bigger stage. I think it might just be a touch premature to say, "his potential is starting to be realised" and we need to tie him down NOW to be honest.

Edited by jny
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

I haven't forgotten it. Judging him on his Rovers form alone he isn't anywhere near a £7m player. Maybe it's Mowbrays utilisation of him and the poor standard of coaching at Rovers but in his time here he has just about been average.

I will be delighted if he becomes a big player for us next season scoring lots of goals and earning top ratings and when he has proved himself then offer him a new deal but on his Rovers form so far he hasn't earned one in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

..... Now he's in the final year of his contract🙄

Yeah that makes sense. No way did they expect it to take so long for the guy to establish himself, he was playing regular first team football for forest before joining us, they probably thought he'd just need 6-12 months to toughen up a bit that's all

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Silly post.

We bought him what? 3 seasons ago? On the grand scale, what has he done? 

Was a poor transfer at the time, and even now, still is.

Love the lad and hopefully this will help him to push on.

But, people suggesting he signs a new contract is kind of in defense of completely blowing that 7 mil (plus wages). 

He was decent this season (compared to others) and is probably a first team starter now. Hopefully he pushes on after his Chilean exploits. 

Coming on here and defending his transfer like it was some kind of genius move after a single goal against Bolivia - clutching at straws mate. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

I suppose to be fair , that was the idea. The biggest issue for me was that we needed defenders at the time and for Windows after that. Hopefully he pushes on now and it really works out. Even if he turns into a 20 million player though, he still wasn't what we needed at that time, but obviously it would be a great outcome. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Spot on. It’s very hard for some people to understand he was brought as an investment. It was a gamble. We need to take these gambles. The point fans slammed Venkys and Mowbray for doing it really is mind boggling. He’s still very young, and maybe we will make money on him one day. If we don’t, we don’t. You gotta take these risks.

• Backroom

Absolute nonsense. Championship clubs don't need to take £7m risks on youth players and it was a gross misuse of our funds to do so - regardless of whether those funds were 'earmarked' for such a thing or not. 

Have any of the many, many clubs that have been promoted whilst we've been in the Championship spent that kind of money on a kid, at the expense of their first team? I'd wager not, although I would love to be proven wrong to investigate that as a case study. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Absolute nonsense. Championship clubs don't need to take £7m risks on youth players and it was a gross misuse of our funds to do so - regardless of whether those funds were 'earmarked' for such a thing or not. 

Have any of the many, many clubs that have been promoted whilst we've been in the Championship spent that kind of money on a kid, at the expense of their first team? I'd wager not, although I would love to be proven wrong to investigate that as a case study. 

It’s not your money. Or mine. And it wasn’t out of our budget for that season. It was the owners, taking a gamble with their money on an investment. Why fans like you get so up tight about billionaire Indians spending their cash I will never know.

There wasnt 7 million available to buy 2/3 players. We had a separate budget for that. They saw a chance to invest and took it. It’s really not rocket science.

Edited by Wood26

5 hours ago, Wood26 said:

It’s not your money. Or mine. And it wasn’t out of our budget for that season. It was the owners, taking a gamble with their money on an investment. Why fans like you get so up tight about billionaire Indians spending their cash I will never know.

There wasnt 7 million available to buy 2/3 players. We had a separate budget for that. They saw a chance to invest and took it. It’s really not rocket science.

You speak a lot like fact - do you have a direct line to the Venky's? How do you know it was a separate budget? We were in for that QPR attacking mid just before we bought this kid - 5 mil we were looking to plump on him and he wasnt a kid. Assombolonga was also linked alongside Gallagher and Bamford. Don't forget that BB was OFFERED to us by an agent employed by Forest to get rid of him, at the last minute - hardly scouted was he?

IMO - see this is an opinion not stated as fact. We had a decent budget at the beginning of our FFP 3-year cycle - so could spend. We wanted to get in a big name, big money signing. TM obviously wanted an attacker with DG soon to be on his last legs. However, rather than spread this 7 million around on the squad and buy a defender or two and a cheaper but more ready striker - he plumped to spend it all on a marque signing. TM has said as much in interviews that the money was burning a hole in his pocket.

However, big money strikers that are already banging them in at this level will cost in wages. TM says we have a rigid wage structure here - which is why we couldn't get in the likes of those listed above. We got Gallagher a year later because he was in last year of his contract and he took a big wage cut to come. The year before a deal couldn't get worked out.

We had that money in our pockets and couldnt spend it - so TM took a huge gamble on a kid not scouted at the last minute. Thats it in a nutshell.

What we should have done IMO, was to buy a couple of defenders and perhaps taken a lower level risk on a striker. No other clubs spend that sort of money at all - let alone on an unproven kid that has been here 3 years and still is not worth a fraction of that fee. 

Now, hopefully this Chilean adventure helps the situation and he comes back full of confidence and starts banging them in next season. However, whether he does or not doesn't change the fact that at the time it was a poor transfer and still is.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Wood26 said:

It was after 4 pm on the last day of that particular window that news emerged that we were trying to do a deal for him. In fact the deal had to be a loan until January because we left it so late. By joining them dots it tells me that he wasn't on our radar until late in the window which indicates to me he was a panic buy after several of our targets went elsewhere. And the bottom line for me is that in our position we can't afford to put 'project' buys straight into the first team simply because of the fee. That money should have been spent on some more experienced players who could have hit the ground running.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Wood26 said:

It’s not your money. Or mine.

But it is our club. We know that Venkys can and will do what they like but its not the fan's job to lie down and take it.

Its our job to make our feelings known and to remind the owners that a club without fans is nothing.

The decision to sign Ben Brereton was not in the best interests of the club, you seem to believe that its a case of the owners investing. I'd call it gambling with the club's future. If that money had been spent more wisely (and the same goes for Gallagher) we might be in the Premier League now, though I doubt it with this manager.

You may accept that BRFC is  just a foreign owners plaything but don't expect others to.

• Like 4

• Backroom
9 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Fortunately others have responded so thoroughly to this post that I don't need to say much more.

The only thing I will add is that Mowbray himself said, more than once, that Brereton was his purchase and his decision. Unless I've missed something there has never been any evidence the owners had any input besides providing the cash. Do you have proof to back up that claim? If so I'd be genuinely interested to see it, as all I can remember reading is the manager telling us he was 100% responsible for the BB transfer. 

On 19/06/2021 at 07:45, TheRoversReturn said:

Great piece. I’ve slated him (like most Rovers fans on here have) but fair play to the lad. Looks like he had a great game, took his goal well, put himself about and ran himself into the ground. Will have done his confidence a world of good and, not least, his value will have appreciated. Maybe not beyond £7m but who knows?

• Moderation Lead

Noticed a few people impersonating Captain Hindsight after one start and one goal for Chile. Can we not do that please?

Spending £7 Million on one player who is for the future isn’t a luxury that BRFC can afford. You’re confusing us with another team that play in a different shade of blue in East Manchester….

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Haha, brilliant. Absolute crock of shite about a 'separate budget'.

And the BB fee was in the year-end accounts. 

It's really not rocket science. 

• Like 6