BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

On 25/06/2021 at 13:42, Ianglasgow said:

He’s not a bad player at all in the correct position as his chile exploits prove but Tony isn’t into positions tactics and formations is he 

There is one, and maybe only one, person who would strongly disagree. Indeed he considers himself a tactical genius. The man himself.

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

Dahlin was a top player tbf, we just got him at the wrong end of his career. 

I never really saw him play. Only game I saw was when we lost 4-3 to rod wallace , I mean Leeds, and galley hit a worldie. He just doesn’t seem to get mentioned or have left an kind of lasting impression with the fans and he was awesome at the World Cup 

• Backroom
41 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I never really saw him play. Only game I saw was when we lost 4-3 to rod wallace , I mean Leeds, and galley hit a worldie. He just doesn’t seem to get mentioned or have left an kind of lasting impression with the fans and he was awesome at the World Cup 

Dahlin's success mainly came in Germany and at international level. I don't think he can be counted as an after tournament buy anyway considering it was 3 years after USA 94 and Sweden didn't even qualify for Euro 96, but regardless he had a solid reputation before coming to Rovers. We never saw anything close to the best of him, unfortunately. Just bad timing all around. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Dahlin's success mainly came in Germany and at international level. I don't think he can be counted as an after tournament buy anyway considering it was 3 years after USA 94 and Sweden didn't even qualify for Euro 96, but regardless he had a solid reputation before coming to Rovers. We never saw anything close to the best of him, unfortunately. Just bad timing all around. 

I don’t think it was bad timing. It was a inept doctor who passed him fit at his medical. The lad had at the time a degenerative back condition. Can’t blame him , as he was looking after his family. The medic should have spotted it 

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

I don’t think it was bad timing. It was a inept doctor who passed him fit at his medical. The lad had at the time a degenerative back condition. Can’t blame him , as he was looking after his family. The medic should have spotted it 

It was bad timing for us to become interested in him then regardless of the medical team's culpability. If we'd signed him straight after WC94 we probably would have gotten a few good years out of him before he broke down. 

19 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

¡Estamos en la sede del Blackburn Rovers, casa de BEN BRERETON! - Pelota Parada

Posted this on the TM thread but it should really be on here Chilean TV visits Ewood in the latest escalation of Brereton-mania, plus they speak to Bradley Dack and a Tony Mowbray scribbling like a nutter on his tactics board.

Saw this.  Just part of what will be continued Chilean interest in the entire Rovers organization (South Americans love your stadiums....so much glass.  So shiney.  Alas we/they are decades away from that.  Hooliganism and savagery hasn't gone away there).   Mowbray is described as "an experienced old fox" who has obviously coached many important teams. 

In the interview with Mowbray, he say he sees and preferrs Brereton playing on the left while making diagonal runs towards the middle, which is where he also thinks he should play for Chile.  Near min 3:20, he says Brereton can play many positions up front and is versatile but he most likes him running up the left flank, cutting in diagonally towards center and shooting with this right foot.  He says it's his best position because he can cut in dribbling, face players, and shoot with his right.  If he plays on the right it's different because he likes to run in diagonally but would be attacking with is weaker foot.  Min 3:40 "the left side is addictive for him.  He loves running up that side, cutting in, and shooting for the far post, like the goal he scored against Bolivia".

The whole thing started with the interviewer asking Mowbray where he would like to see him play, and Mowbray told him to wait a minute and went for his paper and marker to illustrate his points.  Min 4:40 Mowbray explains why he does not use BB as an attacking 9.  He says he could have used him there but chose not to because that position because BB needed to "develop his body" further in order to play there.  "That position is more physical, with stronger forwards.  BB has prepared himself to play there but I believe he has more potential as an attacker on the left" says Mowbray.

(Both the interviewer who visits Ewood Park as well as several of the panelists go to great lengths to verify the veracity of Leeds United's interest in BB)

What I like is that around min 8:30 BB's buddy Bradley Dack completely contradicts Mowbray and says he sees BB playing best as an attacking center 9, a box player, due to his size and speed.  "He plays well on the left, because he's fast and cuts diagonally.  He's played mostly on the wings at Rovers and in a few games he's been tried as a 9.  I would like to see him as a number 9 for chile, with Alexis and Vargas accompanying him.  I think Ben can contribute most the Chile national team as a 9".

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

Saw this.  Just part of what will be continued Chilean interest in the entire Rovers organization (South Americans love your stadiums....so much glass.  So shiney.  Alas we/they are decades away from that.  Hooliganism and savagery hasn't gone away there).   Mowbray is described as "an experienced old fox" who has obviously coached many important teams. 

In the interview with Mowbray, he say he sees and preferrs Brereton playing on the left while making diagonal runs towards the middle, which is where he also thinks he should play for Chile.  Near min 3:20, he says Brereton can play many positions up front and is versatile but he most likes him running up the left flank, cutting in diagonally towards center and shooting with this right foot.  He says it's his best position because he can cut in dribbling, face players, and shoot with his right.  If he plays on the right it's different because he likes to run in diagonally but would be attacking with is weaker foot.  Min 3:40 "the left side is addictive for him.  He loves running up that side, cutting in, and shooting for the far post, like the goal he scored against Bolivia".

The whole thing started with the interviewer asking Mowbray where he would like to see him play, and Mowbray told him to wait a minute and went for his paper and marker to illustrate his points.  Min 4:40 Mowbray explains why he does not use BB as an attacking 9.  He says he could have used him there but chose not to because that position because BB needed to "develop his body" further in order to play there.  "That position is more physical, with stronger forwards.  BB has prepared himself to play there but I believe he has more potential as an attacker on the left" says Mowbray.

(Both the interviewer who visits Ewood Park as well as several of the panelists go to great lengths to verify the veracity of Leeds United's interest in BB)

What I like is that around min 8:30 BB's buddy Bradley Dack completely contradicts Mowbray and says he sees BB playing best as an attacking center 9, a box player, due to his size and speed.  "He plays well on the left, because he's fast and cuts diagonally.  He's played mostly on the wings at Rovers and in a few games he's been tried as a 9.  I would like to see him as a number 9 for chile, with Alexis and Vargas accompanying him.  I think Ben can contribute most the Chile national team as a 9".

As a rule of thumb, whatever Tony says, do the opposite.

Statistically he is one of Rovers worst ever managers but he speaks in a grandfatherly way about football and it impresses people.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, LordBaltimore said:

There's a shock.

Maybe, after hearing of Real Madrid's interest, Leeds have pulled out to save face because they know they can't compete. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

As a rule of thumb, whatever Tony says, do the opposite.

Statistically he is one of Rovers worst ever managers but he speaks in a grandfatherly way about football and it impresses people.

I want him out as much as you and have wanted him out for at least a year, but is this true?

Mowbray?? - Min 3:40 "the left side is addictive for him.  He loves running up that side, cutting in, and shooting for the far post, like the goal he scored against Bolivia".

Me - I believe what I see with my eyes. His other 1st half chance was also from a central position.

Both developed from the Chile right side.

On 27/06/2021 at 05:34, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He mentions the Bastards at 16:16 and then says they are in the Prem and Rovers are in the Championship. The fella in  the studio laughs. I demand to know why he laughed before a diplomatic incidence is declared. Can @LordBaltimore translate please😉

I just saw this.  Let me see....

So the reporter at Ewood park is just relaying basic info on Rovers to the people in the studio (and wider audience), they ask about the BB shirt he is holding, was there a store, how much was it (size XXXL, only one left in store at UK$70 BB Rovers shirts have all sold out).  He points to the Rovers emblem and explains the importance of the red rose.  

Beginning min 16:10..."Rovers was the champion of the Premiere League, something very few small clubs have done.  This is a very small club.  The 'clasico'/derby for Rovers is with Burnley, which is the neighboring city.  They hate each other to the death, I was told by the Rovers press chief [a little chuckle from the studio].  Burnley is in the Premiere, Blackburn is in the Championship, therefore they're down below.  They're struggling.  It's true, they're struggling a lot."  He then goes on to relay his attempts to obtain the sold out Brereton shirt with his face on the Chile flag and was given the only shirt they had left which is 5 sizes too big and he'll find someone to gift it to.

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

So the reporter at Ewood park is just relaying basic info on Rovers to the people in the studio (and wider audience), they ask about the BB shirt he is holding, was there a store, how much was it (size XXXL, only one left in store as UK$70 BB Rovers shirts have all sold out).  He points to the Rovers emblem and explains the importance of the red rose.  

Beginning min 16:10..."Rovers was the champion of the Premiere League, something very few small clubs have done.  This is a very small club.  The 'clasico'/derby bor Rovers with with Burnley, which is the neighboring city.  They hate each other to the death, I was told by the Rovers press chief [a little chuckle from the studio].  Burnley is in the Premiere, Blackburn is in the Championship, therefore they're down below.  They're struggling.  It's true, they're struggling a lot."  He then goes on to relay his attempts to obtain the sold out Brereton shirt with his face on the Chile flag and was given the only shirt they had left which is 5 sizes too big and he'll find someone to gift it to.

A better translation than mine, (Spanish is my second language) but I thought I had better reply quickly, as the poster thought, the guys in the studio, were laughing at the fact that Burnley are higher than us, just now. 

Edited by lraC

1 minute ago, lraC said:

A better translation than mine, (Spanish is my second language) but I thought I had better reply quickly, as the poster thought, the guys in the studio, were laughing at the fact that Burnley are higher than us, just now. 

Perhaps, but I didn't get that sense.  I think they were laughing more at the "hate each other to the death" (se odian a muerte).  I don't get a sense the panelists are familiar enough with English geography, rivalries,  the Championship and "minor" Premiere league teams to find it amusing that Rovers rivals play at a higher league.  But i may be wrong.

Just now, LordBaltimore said:

So the reporter at Ewood park is just relaying basic info on Rovers to the people in the studio (and wider audience), they ask about the BB shirt he is holding, was there a store, how much was it (size XXXL, only one left in store at UK$70 BB Rovers shirts have all sold out).  He points to the Rovers emblem and explains the importance of the red rose.  

Beginning min 16:10..."Rovers was the champion of the Premiere League, something very few small clubs have done.  This is a very small club.  The 'clasico'/derby for Rovers is with Burnley, which is the neighboring city.  They hate each other to the death, I was told by the Rovers press chief [a little chuckle from the studio].  Burnley is in the Premiere, Blackburn is in the Championship, therefore they're down below.  They're struggling.  It's true, they're struggling a lot."  He then goes on to relay his attempts to obtain the sold out Brereton shirt with his face on the Chile flag and was given the only shirt they had left which is 5 sizes too big and he'll find someone to gift it to.

Thanks for the reply.

A couple of clarifications.

Burnley is not a city. It is a shithole from medieval times.

Rovers are a big club. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

Perhaps, but I didn't get that sense.  I think they were laughing more at the "hate each other to the death" (se odian a muerte).  I don't get a sense the panelists are familiar enough with English geography, rivalries,  the Championship and "minor" Premiere league teams to find it amusing that Rovers rivals play at a higher league.  But i may be wrong.

That’s exactly what I though and what I posted on here, yesterday. Thanks for clarifying.

Todo bien?

• Like 1