BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

7 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Diaz was 500/1 to score 20+ league goals on sky bet a couple of days ago. I've just checked and its tumbled to 80/1. At 500 that's worth a tenner surely

Ben is probably going to take penalties instead of Armstrong, hence the price cut.

The South American international breaks have been extended by two days to allow the teams to get 3 games in each to allow them to catch up from pandemic postponements. So if Sr Diaz gets selected and goes out to Chile he will miss the games at the end of the September and October breaks. That will be the home games against Luton and Coventry.

On 22/06/2021 at 03:46, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Two months on...has there been ANY progress on his contract.

Or, indeed, any other Rovers player contract?!??!

How many assets are we on track to lose for nothing next summer as it stands?!?!

On 04/06/2021 at 20:34, roversfan99 said:

Its not about writing him off, people just feel that they can judge a 7m signing that has been here for 3 years. He received plenty of praise last year in fact, perhaps at times slightly more than his performances warranted simply because of how low the benchmark was that he had set. There is no witch hunt but people will judge based on what they see. Am I convinced that he will ever be a top player at Championship player? Possibly not.

More people liked your response than my original post saying there was a player in there when it comes to BB.

I stand by what I said, he's a slow burn is Ben but there's a cracking player in there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

More people liked your response than my original post saying there was a player in there when it comes to BB.

I stand by what I said, he's a slow burn is Ben but there's a cracking player in there.

I still think that at the moment that his reputation has been massively blown out of proportion by the fairytale Copa America story and its sheer bizarreness. Had that not happened, there wouldn't be half as much optimism regarding him, and to be honest I am unsure what his performance level and his goals tally will look like at the end of the season.

I don't think that his general performance level has been particularly high in the first 3 games, he was really poor v Morecambe, he was really poor yesterday for 70 minutes and even on the opening day, he wasn't great. But the crucial thing regarding an attacking player is always the number of goals that he gets, and it is even more critical in the absence of Armstrong that he kicks on with his new found confidence and hopefully can get above double figures. It was good to see him score his penalty v Swansea and I thought that his header yesterday was excellent and not something I recall seeing from him before.

31 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

As much as i like the lad (as a footballer and a person).... 

anyone else starting to think the whole "Diaz" thing is starting to look a little silly now! 

Nope. Quite the opposite, it has seen his confidence soar. Long may it continue.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Its just funny that on all our highlights videos - half the comments are from Chileans. Oppo fans must think wtf!

It’s great, we should be trying to flog merchandise left right and centre.

It would really sum up the current management of the club if the £7m player who has been crap for years, suddenly breaks through as we lose him for nothing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

It’s great, we should be trying to flog merchandise left right and centre.

It would really sum up the current management of the club if the £7m player who has been crap for years, suddenly breaks through as we lose him for nothing.

A good commercial team would be monetising Breretons popularity with our Spanish speaking friends.  

A good football management team would be getting him extended ASAP......

5 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Two months on...has there been ANY progress on his contract.

Or, indeed, any other Rovers player contract?!??!

How many assets are we on track to lose for nothing next summer as it stands?!?!

My view is a very cynical view but my concern is the amount of time remaining on Mowbrays contract. I firmly believe he thought he could get us promoted last year. Spent every penny we had on a hugely inflated squad to the point whereby we were right on the edge of Ffp. So much so that it seemed there was no money even for extensions. 

Now we have a little cash and flex from the Arma sale. Mowbray has 1 year remaining on his contract. What is more important to him. Seeing us scrapping against relegation with a thin squad but assets tied down to long term contracts. Or bringing a number of players some temporary, some permanent and us finishing around midtable. If he leaves at the end of his contract there is clearly one option which benefits him and his reputation, but harms the club. 

32 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

My view is a very cynical view but my concern is the amount of time remaining on Mowbrays contract. I firmly believe he thought he could get us promoted last year. Spent every penny we had on a hugely inflated squad to the point whereby we were right on the edge of Ffp. So much so that it seemed there was no money even for extensions. 

Now we have a little cash and flex from the Arma sale. Mowbray has 1 year remaining on his contract. What is more important to him. Seeing us scrapping against relegation with a thin squad but assets tied down to long term contracts. Or bringing a number of players some temporary, some permanent and us finishing around midtable. If he leaves at the end of his contract there is clearly one option which benefits him and his reputation, but harms the club. 

If it makes you feel any better I don't think that the current management team are capable of this level of forward planning. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Everything was geared up for last season to be our shot. Its quite obvious. He didn't just fail, he failed miserably. For that alone he should be gone. Cannot fathom how he is still here.

Looks a shaggy haired weedy donkey when he's wide striker getting knocked over and just falling over.

Looks like Diaz the Chilean powerhouse when he's in and around the box though and making goal facing runs.

Mowbray just sort yourself out once and for all with this lad and he can be a baller.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-premier-league-statement-clubs-24830195

The PL has issued a statement that the clubs will not release players for international duty where their countries are playing in a red list country. I wonder how this might effect us if Brereton is called up by Chile.

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-premier-league-statement-clubs-24830195

The PL has issued a statement that the clubs will not release players for international duty where their countries are playing in a red list country. I wonder how this might effect us if Brereton is called up by Chile.

Diaz has been included in the squad. He would have to isolate for 10 days when coming back. He would probably miss three games, Luton, Hull and Barnsley. I think we could afford to let him go, especially if he had signed a contract extension. Worth putting it to him and his agent.

• Like 3

We cant do without our (cant believe im saying this) main goalscorer for 3 games, also setting a precedent which may mean he misses 7 or 8 overall. Nor is it right to bribe him to sign a new deal by allowing him to go.

I suspect it will be a joint decision by the whole league rather than us ourselves not allowing him so it wont be something that he can be annoyed about.

• Like 3