BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So we sign a 7m player, barely play him for 18 months, then when he finally starts coming good, we haven't kept an eye on his contract and he ends up walking out for next to nothing.

Only in Mowbray and Waggott land  

It'd be funny if we weren't Rovers fans. Couldn't make it up. 

It's incompetence taken to the level of a bloody art form!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So we sign a 7m player, barely play him for 18 months, then when he finally starts coming good, we haven't kept an eye on his contract and he ends up walking out for next to nothing.

This is criticism for the sake of criticising. Because if the Ben Brereton of 6 months ago had been given a lucrative and lengthy contract extension by Rovers, there would have been uproar on here, probably led by yourself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

This is criticism for the sake of criticising. Because if the Ben Brereton of 6 months ago had been given a lucrative and lengthy contract extension by Rovers, there would have been uproar on here, probably led by yourself. 

Yeah I think you're right here Ben. His upturn in form has taken everyone by surprise and I think it is harsh to criticise the club for not seeing it coming.

• Like 2

Someone on here once compared watching Brereton come on the pitch as like watching Paddy McGuiness (or similar) enter the field on Soccer Aid.

He really didn't look like a footballer at one point.

Still got a lot to work on, but the improvement is incredible.

Keep it up BBD!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Someone on here once compared watching Brereton come on the pitch as like watching Paddy McGuiness (or similar) enter the field on Soccer Aid.

He really didn't look like a footballer at one point.

Still got a lot to work on, but the improvement is incredible.

Keep it up BBD!

It’s amazing what a glass full of confidence can do for someone.

2 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

I agree partially with your comment, however, given Ben's age, I still think it was foolish not to at least have given him say, a 2 year extension on similar terms. If this had happened 6 months ago he would probably have accepted and we'd have protected our asset (again, I'm using his age as a barometer as an 'asset' here rather than his performances plus the fact that we've £7m tied up in him.)

Given his exploits with Chile and the start to this season, we could them have been in a good place to offer him improved terms as we would still have been holding most of the cards.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No responsibility to Venkys for not stumping up the money at the moment to get the deal done? Rightly or wrongly, I suspect that he will want to be up there with our highest earners.

Easy to solely blame those 2 for everything and they certainly both take a lot of blame for various things but this is clearly far more complex. A year ago many would have not seen him with 2 years left (and a potential option for a third) sitting on 2 or 3 league goals at the club as a worry.

From the sound of it, Mowbray is not involved in contract negotiations anyway.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

No responsibility to Venkys for not stumping up the money at the moment to get the deal done? Rightly or wrongly, I suspect that he will want to be up there with our highest earners.

Easy to solely blame those 2 for everything and they certainly both take a lot of blame for various things but this is clearly far more complex. A year ago many would have not seen him with 2 years left (and a potential option for a third) sitting on 2 or 3 league goals at the club as a worry.

From the sound of it, Mowbray is not involved in contract negotiations anyway.

why keep blaming Venkys as they are the ones doing the negotiations? They set the budget in line with FFP rules and other reasons. 

Yes its Waggott who does the contract negotiations at Rovers but its like that at Most clubs. 

Brereton should be in line with Dack in terms of wages

59 minutes ago, lraC said:

Just 50p. I don’t gamble much to be honest and would be happy with £250 of it comes in. 

Don't blame you, its not something you would imagine would actually come in. Stands a decent chance now though. Cant complain at 250 quid (and your 50p back 🙂 )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

why keep blaming Venkys as they are the ones doing the negotiations? They set the budget in line with FFP rules and other reasons. 

Yes its Waggott who does the contract negotiations at Rovers but its like that at Most clubs. 

Brereton should be in line with Dack in terms of wages

Because they are the ones who control the money and give the budget. The issues with the contracts are financial from everything in the public domain.

8 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

Nice to see you taking your contrarian "the Club can do no wrong stance' as normal Ben.

If you were to read all my posts regarding Brereton since he arrived at the Club you'd actually  have seen my view conttrary to most that there always looked like there was a glimpse of a player trying to get out and that Mowbray's handling of him has been all wrong.

More to the pont as another poster said, if BB had had his contract attended to when it should have been (which was before his upturn in form) it neendn't have cost the earth and we wouldn't be in this desperate position. And regardless of his form at that point he was still a £7m asset.

Same goes for all the out of contract players. I'm not sure why you're trying to defend the indefensible.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but you're right they are.

And the bloody shambles with the players' contracts shows exactly why they are necessary!

It’s a huge problem what is being allowed to happen, with players contracts. I’m sure there is a great deal of difficulty, getting the balance right between being held to ransom with a player and them walking away for free, but the Bosman rule has been with us for years now. If Waggot is the one tasked with getting this right, he needs replacing immediately. If the owners are unable to sort this out in 11 years, then you have to wonder if they ever will.

If they still don’t get it now, then they should not be allowed to carry on. After all the once described the club as their baby and how the would respect the Jack Walker legacy. All I see is total disregard for the whole set up and it’s no longer acceptable. 

In isolation the club could perhaps be forgiven for not having tied down a player who has had a couple of terrible seasons, an indifferent one and then has started on fire this time. I mean up till last season no one (or very few) would have wanted him to stay. 

Thing is it's not an isolation thing. Ignoring the price which would be a red herring imo, there are some key factors that meant it should not have been left to this year to get it sorted. 

Firstly last season was ok. A bit of a flat track bully and not amazing but enough to show there might be a squad player in there. 

Secondly we were already letting 11 players leave, and quite simply could not afford to try and replace yet another player on top of that. There's only so many players we can try and fail to replace in a window. 

Thirdly with Gally as the only other senior recognised striker we were really short in that position. One of the reasons it didn't hurt that the talented if erratic Holtby left is we had Rothwell, Buckley, Dack (when fit) and other youngsters to take his position. Up front we only had Gally who is hardly reliable. 

Fourthly the wide contract situation. We have a paper thin squad. Four loans go back at the end of the year. Four of our first 11 are out of contract in the summer. School of thought that we may need some players!

Fifthly we have just had the Armstrong saga and not getting value for money. To have the same lesson repeated on us the following year is a very poor do. 

AS ever with Rovers if there is an easy and a hard way we chose the latter. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

In isolation the club could perhaps be forgiven for not having tied down a player who has had a couple of terrible seasons, an indifferent one and then has started on fire this time. I mean up till last season no one (or very few) would have wanted him to stay. 

Thing is it's not an isolation thing. Ignoring the price which would be a red herring imo, there are some key factors that meant it should not have been left to this year to get it sorted. 

Firstly last season was ok. A bit of a flat track bully and not amazing but enough to show there might be a squad player in there. 

Secondly we were already letting 11 players leave, and quite simply could not afford to try and replace yet another player on top of that. There's only so many players we can try and fail to replace in a window. 

Thirdly with Gally as the only other senior recognised striker we were really short in that position. One of the reasons it didn't hurt that the talented if erratic Holtby left is we had Rothwell, Buckley, Dack (when fit) and other youngsters to take his position. Up front we only had Gally who is hardly reliable. 

Fourthly the wide contract situation. We have a paper thin squad. Four loans go back at the end of the year. Four of our first 11 are out of contract in the summer. School of thought that we may need some players!

Fifthly we have just had the Armstrong saga and not getting value for money. To have the same lesson repeated on us the following year is a very poor do. 

AS ever with Rovers if there is an easy and a hard way we chose the latter. 

Surely the challenge here is that the players are refusing to sign new contracts. Rovers are clearly offering new contacts but the players aren’t willing to sign and that seems to have been the case for a number of months.

We don’t have all the facts but I’m not sure this is as simple as the club letting players go for free with no effort being made to retain them.

If players like Nyambe, Brereton and Rothwell are refusing to sign new deals, at what point do we start blaming them for this predicament or should Rovers be buckling to their every demand?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Surely the challenge here is that the players are refusing to sign new contracts. Rovers are clearly offering new contacts but the players aren’t willing to sign and that seems to have been the case for a number of months.

We don’t have all the facts but I’m not sure this is as simple as the club letting players go for free with no effort being made to retain them.

If players like Nyambe, Brereton and Rothwell are refusing to sign new deals, at what point do we start blaming them for this predicament or should Rovers be buckling to their every demand?

Here's my take on it----if player after player is choosing to leave then its because the club is not committed to keeping them.

If Rovers won't pay the going rate then another club will. They'll go for nowt, we won't replace them for nowt. Its bad business.

Always 2 steps forward 3 back with us. I remember fans saying the same things as you're saying when Pickering left in 1964!

Quote from him at the time "its not as if I'm on 40 quid a week or something"!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

In the case of Nyambe and Rothwell, I bet they are among some of the lowest earners among the senior squad. Dack is certainly a top earner, Gallagher (shockingly) will be considering he was on 25k at Southampton, Ayala would not have come on a cheap wage. BB, though young involved a big fee, so his wage wont be insignificant, AA (now gone) certainly was on more than both, and then the likes of Johnson, and some of those now gone would have been on more such as Holtby, Evans etc.

Nyambe came from the academy so will be on peanuts (was rumoured to be 5k per week) and Rothwell was signed from a League 1 club. I imagine they now want some kind of parity as some of the more senior players left. I'd be fuming if SG was on more than me tbh (probably at least triple both of them).