BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City vs Blackburn Rovers, Sunday 1st September, 1.30pm KO

56 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

@Way down West what do you make of Johnson as a manager? He certainly splits the support r*verssfan. he's very forward thinking and, at times, has us playing superb stuff but he's a cocky so and so and doesn't seem to be able to halt the bad runs we have. Due to his and his dads friendship with our owner, he's pretty much unsackable so we have Lee Johnson whether we like it or not. He embraces all the techy stuff and is a very 'modern' boss but he obviously loves the club so he has my support at the moment.

And what do you make of your summer business?  We don't pay huge wages so knew we would probably lose Reid, Flint and Bryan. Reid going across the Severn hurt but he can't hit a cows arse with a banjo at the mo so that's good. Flint was great for us but at 29 deserved a chance to earn big bucks. Bryan was going to Villa which would have hurt but the late intervention of Fulham has led to a great move plus we have a more than able deputy in Lloyd Kelly who is a very classy young player. Weimann was a bit underwhelming at the time but he looks really good as do Webster and Kalas.

Overall, not bad but we brought alot more £££ in than we spent so expectations have to reflect that IMO.

Think you may be stretching the truth describing this as a "great league!" Each to their own but we have spent far too many seasons in the pub league downstairs and the Championship is 'great' in comparison to that cesspit of a division.

Edited by Way down West

Thanks @Way down West and good luck for the season, after tomorrow of course.

I had a feeling he wasnt entirely and universally popular. Reid was never prolific was he prior to last season, I thought Johnson was doing a poor job when you had Abraham scoring so many goals yet obviously in general you was near the bottom of the tab, the same year we obviously went down. I remember being impressed watching Bristol City in the cup against the Manchester teams though so i presumed hed turned it around somewhat. 

Looking at your signings, I thought Adelakun would be a really good signing, quick, direct winger, whereas I have never really rated Weimann so im surprised hes doing so well, suppose at Villa and Derby he was never one of the main men so maybe he will continue to thrive in a central role. Selling Bryan and Flint was always going to be a blow but I thought Da Silva, Hunt, Webster and Kalas were all pretty good Championship signings too. Bit surprised that you didnt sign a more high profile keeper, that Maenpaa hasnt played much recently so I suppose hes a bit of an unknown quantity.

I don't think either Bristol City or Rovers will be particularly fancied outside of our own clubs really but I suspect both can be comfortably mid table with a bit of luck, looking up rather than down. Theres a bunch of teams, Reading, Birmingham, Rotherham, Ipswich and Hull who on paper seem far inferior to both of our teams. 

Definitely agree on League 1, luckily we only had one season and the success was a lovely change so Rovers fans will have a fonder opinion of it I imagine but the quality was terrible.

My team

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Smallwood Evans

Palmer           Bennett         Rothwell

Graham

Subs:- Luetwiler Downing Reed Brereton Armstrong Dack Conway

Brereton to come off the bench to score winner. 1 nil Rovers

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Smallwood Evans

Graham

Bell not even in the squad.

Strange choice that. Williams is the obvious sub (of fit).

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Bristol City have won their last two games and given the way Swansea have just beaten Millwall, the Bristol City win at Swansea is looking even more impressive.

On the other hand,  of the two current bottom clubs, 2 of their combined 4 points and 4 of their combined 9 goals have come against us.

Puts our bright start into perspective.

Assuming Dack is out, sticking with 70% probability on our unbeaten start ending tomorrow and we could lose by a few too.

Bumping back down to earth unless we give it everything and take our few chances.

You don't even go to watch us, your bumbling nonsensical ramblings are beyond ridiculous 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Smallwood Evans

Graham

It would be a blow if Dack and Armstrong arent fit, but especially with Dack, if they dont start id be surprised if they made the bench.

Assuming neither make it, your front 4 picks itself really, although I would personally go with Palmer off Graham, where he is best, and where he is least likely to become a defensive liability.

If Bristol City play what is essentially 4-4-2, Palmer could be the spare man and is far better in an attacking sense than Bennett. Whereas Bennett's defensive work could be used to counter one of their wide men, probably Eliasson who has started the season well.

I would also like to see Reed start ahead of Smallwood who has had a below par start to the season. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It would be a blow if Dack and Armstrong arent fit, but especially with Dack, if they dont start id be surprised if they made the bench.

Assuming neither make it, your front 4 picks itself really, although I would personally go with Palmer off Graham, where he is best, and where he is least likely to become a defensive liability.

If Bristol City play what is essentially 4-4-2, Palmer could be the spare man and is far better in an attacking sense than Bennett. Whereas Bennett's defensive work could be used to counter one of their wide men, probably Eliasson who has started the season well.

I would also like to see Reed start ahead of Smallwood who has had a below par start to the season. 

I felt Smallwood was much better against Brentford than previous game. 

Dont know if Armstrong or Dack are fit

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I felt Smallwood was much better against Brentford than previous game. 

Dont know if Armstrong or Dack are fit

For me, Dack and Armstrong are along with Palmer, our 3 main players who can give us that bit of X factor behind the striker.

Rothwell has really impressed me so far but hes not quite at the same level as the above 3. But hes also impressed me with his work rate.

What do you make of the tactical change I suggested? Bennett made sense as a 10 to give us that third body last week against a team reknown for their possession football.

Tomorrow, Bristol City may only have 2 in there and Palmer is undoubtedly better going forward than Bennett, with a bigger goal threat, and will provide better support as to not isolate Graham. Bennett and Rothwell can be either side of the central 2 giving us more discipline against their midfield 4, in a more rigid way than usual in the absence of our best attacking player and our main pacy outlet.

If Dack and/or Armstrong are fit, it will be interesting to see who makes way. Mowbray wont move Bennett back so id suggest that Rothwell would be most at risk of a harsh dropping to the subs bench.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Thanks @Way down West and good luck for the season, after tomorrow of course.

I had a feeling he wasnt entirely and universally popular. Reid was never prolific was he prior to last season, I thought Johnson was doing a poor job when you had Abraham scoring so many goals yet obviously in general you was near the bottom of the tab, the same year we obviously went down. I remember being impressed watching Bristol City in the cup against the Manchester teams though so i presumed hed turned it around somewhat. 

Looking at your signings, I thought Adelakun would be a really good signing, quick, direct winger, whereas I have never really rated Weimann so im surprised hes doing so well, suppose at Villa and Derby he was never one of the main men so maybe he will continue to thrive in a central role. Selling Bryan and Flint was always going to be a blow but I thought Da Silva, Hunt, Webster and Kalas were all pretty good Championship signings too. Bit surprised that you didnt sign a more high profile keeper, that Maenpaa hasnt played much recently so I suppose hes a bit of an unknown quantity.

I don't think either Bristol City or Rovers will be particularly fancied outside of our own clubs really but I suspect both can be comfortably mid table with a bit of luck, looking up rather than down. Theres a bunch of teams, Reading, Birmingham, Rotherham, Ipswich and Hull who on paper seem far inferior to both of our teams. 

Definitely agree on League 1, luckily we only had one season and the success was a lovely change so Rovers fans will have a fonder opinion of it I imagine but the quality was terrible.

We're building gradually r*vers. Maybe one day we'll aspire to the Prem but we know we aren't a big fish in this league. Yes, our owner, a local fella, is minted but 'sustainable growth' is our plan and £51M on the stadium is a damn good start. There are far bigger clubs in the Championship but, hopefully, we'll get there one day. The fact we're compared with the like of yourselves nowadays rather than the gas b***ards (hence why I will never type r*vers) / Rochdale shows we've improved but we know our place. 

One day, maybe.

Edited by Way down West
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

For me, Dack and Armstrong are along with Palmer, our 3 main players who can give us that bit of X factor behind the striker.

Rothwell has really impressed me so far but hes not quite at the same level as the above 3. But hes also impressed me with his work rate.

What do you make of the tactical change I suggested? Bennett made sense as a 10 to give us that third body last week against a team reknown for their possession football.

Tomorrow, Bristol City may only have 2 in there and Palmer is undoubtedly better going forward than Bennett, with a bigger goal threat, and will provide better support as to not isolate Graham. Bennett and Rothwell can be either side of the central 2 giving us more discipline against their midfield 4, in a more rigid way than usual in the absence of our best attacking player and our main pacy outlet.

If Dack is fit then for me Palmer drop out. Bennett goes wide right. Rothwell has been outstanding so far. If Dack isnt fit then stick to what I.said. But I am flexible to allow my 3 behind the strikers to change around. But I want us to be solid tomorrow  

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Is the match available for a tenner on ifollow for uk residents tomorrow or do I have to go to the pub to watch it on the red button?Can't see on the rovers website it being available on ifollow?Anyone know?

On red button for free on sky I'm told.

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Dack is fit then for me Palmer drop out. Bennett goes wide right. Rothwell has been outstanding so far. If Dack isnt fit then stick to what I.said. But I am flexible to allow my 3 behind the strikers to change around. But I want us to be solid tomorrow  

Palmers 2 goals mean he has to play.

Surely Palmer as the 10, ie the position in which allows most attacking freedom, would allow Bennett and Rothwell to provide more discipline to stop them from.getting 2 on 1 v our full backs, and allow us to set up with 2 banks of 4 when required.

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Surely Palmer as the 10, ie the position in which allows most attacking freedom, would allow Bennett and Rothwell to provide more discipline to stop them from.getting 2 on 1 v our full backs, and allow us to set up with 2 banks of 4 when required.

2 goals mean he has to play? Not for me. His defensive game needs improving and him keeping positioning better when we are without the ball.  If Dack is fit then for me he drops out for me. He has played better since coming in game by game but ive explained my reason. 

Ive already explain why I wouldnt away from home play Palmer in the hole. If Palmer does play the 10 role and performs well I will admit I was wrong. But thats Dack position and he starts every league game when fit. 

We dont know Bristol City team or formation yet. Sometimes they play 3-5-1-1(as the Bristol City said they sometimes play) which playing Palmer wide right would give him space and freedom. But we can flexible and not rigid. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I'l be honest I don't think Palmer has been great.He hasn't been bad but if Dack is fit and it's a choice between Palmer and Rothwell then Rothwell wins all day long for me.

Mogga won't play 3 attackers behind the striker.Bennett is an automatic Choice for Mowbray wide of the 3 behind the striker If he isn't forced to play him centrally and with the signing of Reed then I don't think we will be seeing Bennett anywhere other than wide of the 3 the majority of the season

Edited by islander200